Judicial Internships Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thedogship

Bronze

Re: Judicial Internships

Post by thedogship » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Oblomov wrote:
thedogship wrote: Not to be a dick, but if you (Oblomov) didn't get a call after a few weeks, I'd assume you're not getting one. . . . My point is that you've really got to send out a ton of applications to get a decent return for interview requests, and if you're a so-so student or at a non-"top" school, you likely are going to have to extend applications beyond the NYC, DC, LA, or SF markets.
No offense taken. The rest of your message though, therein lies the pisser: I do go to one of these alleged "top schools," none of my apps was for what I'd consider to be a highly competitive market and they don't have any way to know that I am a so-so student. I only sent out about 20 for these reasons.

Must have been the limerick cover letter printed on pastel paper --knew I should have gone with a haiku.
Hmm, well then I'm not sure. Although you say there was no way for them to know you were a so-so student - I'm assuming that means you didn't send them your grades (or haven't yet gotten your grades). That could have something to do with it. I just remember that the judges that called me said they did in part because I had a complete set of grades for them to look at. While I didn't have a 4.0 or anything, it did give them something to go on, and i think they were hesitant to gamble on other candidates who had no grades.

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:38 pm

thedogship wrote:That could have something to do with it. I just remember that the judges that called me said they did in part because I had a complete set of grades for them to look at.
Interesting to know. Not that I had my grades at the time, but if I send out more, as late in the game as it may be, you think I should include them without being requested? Did you include an official/unofficial transcript or put your GPA on your resume?

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:45 pm

I only got one call before I sent out my grades. Then I sent an "update" cover letter with an unofficial transcript and got a number of calls. It seems like a lot of judges are just waiting for grades. Don't wait for them to ask you for grades, just send them. In fact, I had one judge call who somehow didn't receive my first mailing but got my grades.

bobjr

New

Post by bobjr » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:19 pm

g-town is holding all 1L grades until sometime in the first week of February... they are really looking out for us 1L's...

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:33 pm

bobjr wrote:g-town is holding all 1L grades until sometime in the first week of February... they are really looking out for us 1L's...
Ouch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:12 pm

I can tell you that some of my "grade requests" also informed that some of those judges weren't beginning their hiring process until Feb. 1. Obviously this isn't true of every judge, but there are some out there that are specifically waiting to look at applicants with grades.

bobjr

New

Post by bobjr » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:23 pm

bwv812 wrote:Yeah, but aren't you comforted by their platitude that employers are very understanding and they don't think it will have any effect on our employment opportunities? What's particularly galling is that it is a registrar screw up that has caused an additional one-week delay, and that the registrar has known about this for a few weeks but only told us recently.
yeah, they really fucked us, especially since this year no one is getting 1L firm jobs, so any old internship is all the more competitive. the really absurd part of it is that they have had the grades since the 16th, but won't post them once class/professor at a time because they don't want to give anyone an "unfair advantage," better to just screw over the whole 1L class equally...

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:10 pm

cannoneer wrote:Did you guys target your cover letters to the judges (or at least the courts), or did you just express an interest in working for a judge generally? Also, I made an A+ in my legal writing class. Would it be tacky to refer to this in the body of the cover letter as support for my claim that I have relatively well developed research and writing skills?

And thanks to everyone who has posted about their experiences in this thread - it's all very helpful information.
Wow, A+ in legal writing is HUGE! Where do you go to school? PM me?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:25 am

Don't try to sell yourself to a judge by saying you already have strong research and writing skills after one semester of 1L under your belt. Judges who take summer interns generally are looking for someone they see potential in and want to teach, rather than someone who can immediately be of benefit to them. Claiming you already have strong writing skills will likely be seen as arrogant, even if its an accurate assessment of your ability.

Better, would to be to allude to how success in your LW class has made you want improve your writing and to start to apply skills in a practical setting, etc.

NakaNaka

New

Post by NakaNaka » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:44 pm

DelDad wrote:Don't try to sell yourself to a judge by saying you already have strong research and writing skills after one semester of 1L under your belt. Judges who take summer interns generally are looking for someone they see potential in and want to teach, rather than someone who can immediately be of benefit to them. Claiming you already have strong writing skills will likely be seen as arrogant, even if its an accurate assessment of your ability.

Better, would to be to allude to how success in your LW class has made you want improve your writing and to start to apply skills in a practical setting, etc.
I agree. In my interview w. a judge, he asked how my legal research/writing was and I said it was alright, that it wasn't easy to do but that I was improving and learning Westlaw and getting better. It was an honest answer because after a semester of law school you are not going to be an outstanding legal writer. He had my writing sample so he knew what I could do. I got the job.

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Are thank-you letters/emails customary for an externship interview?

I had the interview last Friday and the judge said she would contact my references and let me know in a week. Would it be (1) necessary, (2) helpful or (3) annoying to send a thank-you letter? I know it's standard for companies but wasn't sure about judges. Thanks!

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:02 pm

No points of view on this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amyamy

New

Post by amyamy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:08 pm

do you know his/ her email? It would be nice to send an email -- I got an immediate phone call after my email :)

but if it is not that urgent, then a hand-written note will also do fine.

phillyphanatic

New

Post by phillyphanatic » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:34 pm

I met with the judges three clerks for the entire interview. I sent them a group email (since the interview was a group interview) and got a call offering me the job literally 10 minutes after I sent the email the next day. Not saying there was any correlation but I think email is a fine form for thank you's. The clerk that called me even mentioned how much they loved my email.

amyamy

New

Post by amyamy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:58 pm

I had an interview in NY state, not new york. I was not familiar with the area, of course. but one of the clerks showed me how to get to the public library -- I went there straight away to send them an email.

Dont know if they got impressed or not -- I could have done the same thing if I had brought my laptop with me.

by the way, I initially thought I would not get it. I felt like some of them might not take an asian girl seriously. The judge, before leaving me to the clerks, said something like, "come with me, pretty." :roll:

nomnomnom

New

Post by nomnomnom » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi all,

Sorry to steer away from the topic at hand, but I had a general question:

I potentially have the chance to intern with a superior court judge for my county, but I'm not currently a law student (enrolling Fall 2009). I know my ability to contribute much of substance is close to nil, but was still curious if any of you had tips or thoughts on how I could be active in a role as intern. Probably much of this role would involve more of shadowing/observing than anything else. However, if there's any hands-on experience I should try to have, no matter how small, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks a ton.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:59 pm

A college sophomore interned with the judge I worked with last summer. He had no experience, but that really wasn't the point, from the judge's perspective: the judge just wanted to teach. He got someo one-on-one time with the judge; I taught him some Westlaw basics; the clerks showed him how to read a pro se prisoner's motion to appoint counsel, and he drafted the judge's response. He also did some of the scut, helping to to organize the chamber library. I think he had a great experience

nomnomnom

New

Post by nomnomnom » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:29 am

Thanks a lot, that's good to hear.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like certain judges see internships as an opportunity to teach as much as to gain?

I'll definitely keep this in mind, thanks.

ralsh

New

Post by ralsh » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Does anyone know what kind of hours judicial interns work? I suppose it would depend on the court and judge, aye?

ralsh

New

Post by ralsh » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:53 pm

I suppose this thread is dead, but oh well, I'll give it one more shot....

*Bump*

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:15 pm

I suppose it would depend on the court and judge, aye?
Aye.

Expect a full workweek and possibly a bit more than that (depending on the judge), but probably no crazy law-firm hours.

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:17 pm

That's a pretty impatient bump, ralsh - 9 minutes?

It will vary by judge. The judge I interned for had me there 8:30-5 five days a week, and I didn't have work to do at home. Other judges will want more than that.

WUSTL2011

New

Post by WUSTL2011 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:30 pm

I'll be in the Central District of California (Federal in Los Angeles) interning for a judge. Since I'm interested in IP, he's going to give his IP cases for me to handle the motions (he already told me). He said it's be 9-5, M-F, and sometimes later.

Advice question though, I just found out two of my mentors have pending cases before him (and they're IP, so I'd probably handle the motions). These are people I used to talk to regularly when I lived in LA. Anyone have any ethical advice on what to do? I know not to discuss anything about the case with them. But still talk to them? less?

Lastly, if anyone's in LA this summer, let me know. It's be cool to know some of the people going to be in the Spring St. courthouse.

felicity00

New

Post by felicity00 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:35 pm

I will be going to LA in late July and stay there until late August... (but working at a firm)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”