fail exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tamtam

New

fail exam

Post by tamtam » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:28 pm

How often do a student fail a law school exam? I took my Crim and K, tomorrow is Prop. I really felt like I got C is the previous two and will fail Prop.

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Re: fail exam

Post by Drew82abndiv » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:37 pm

Hahaha, you won't fail. It does kind of depend on whether your school does a B Median or B Mean curve though. Most law school profs, unless you write a 3 sentence essay answer that addresses no issues will not give you less than a C/C-. You are being to hard on yourself. You are a 1L (as am I) you aren't supposed to know everything, they know that!

wes_henricksen

New

Post by wes_henricksen » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:52 am

Most law schools will not "fail" you as long as you show up to the exam and give a reasonbaly good effort. At my law school (I graduated in '06), students have to really try hard to fail a class (come to think of it, none of my classmates failed a class that I know of). Many students feel exactly the way you do after their first exams. Many think they failed a course or two, but almost nobody actually fails. Hang in there.

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:09 am

T1 = no one generally fails. Though 1-2 people per section may get a D or F since there's always someone who does something whack.

TTT = more people fail, sometimes up to half the class due to their brutal curve.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:07 am

tamtam wrote:How often do a student fail a law school exam? I took my Crim and K, tomorrow is Prop. I really felt like I got C is the previous two and will fail Prop.
I'm a 1L, so I can't say this for sure, but the curve sounds like it's insane from what 2Ls and 3Ls suggest and our "mock" exam question we had in contract. A 60% was an "A-" on our mock final (I know because I ended up falling at that line on the mock final). I suspect grades would be slightly higher during the actual final considering more people would've made more of an effort to go to the secondary sources, etc., but I still can't imagine they'd be considerably higher (e.g. 90% becoming a C).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bobjr

New

Post by bobjr » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:05 pm

Our civ-pro professor told the us on the last day of class that if we had not been cramming all semester that we should "go to the dean and tell him that our mother died, just make something up, take a semester off if you have to and sort your life out", because he would fail us. ...he said he only fails a few kids each year, but I still thought it was a bad-ass comment...

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:13 pm

bobjr wrote:Our civ-pro professor told the us on the last day of class that if we had not been cramming all semester that we should "go to the dean and tell him that our mother died, just make something up, take a semester off if you have to and sort your life out", because he would fail us. ...he said he only fails a few kids each year, but I still thought it was a bad-ass comment...
Wow. He sounds like a total jackass.

bobjr

New

Post by bobjr » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:03 pm

Yeah, he is a bit Kingsfieldian. He'll pick one student at random at the start of the class (~120 kids) and grill them for an hour straight. He tore into one kid (who had obviously done the reading) one morning because he got tongue tied in the first sentence of an answer when called on (told him he didn't belong in law school, was wasting everyone's money, etc...). His tests are also a bit absurd-- they are comprised of extremely complicated and ambiguous multiple choice questions, which you can just barely finish in the allotted time (ambiguous because he does not supply answer keys to past years' exams, so you can recognize questions similar to those he's used in the past, but are never sure of the answer), and a multi-part essay with a character limit of 2500-3500. On the essay he frequently presents a topic that was never discussed in class and expects you to perfectly analogize to something tangentially related that was discussed. If you analyze the wrong issue or don't bring up the correct case, as he explains, you will receive zero credit on that portion of the essay (an essay has maybe two or three 'portions'). The essay limit is so short that you cannot cover all of your bases; you must simply pick the point you think is most relevant and hope its the one he was thinking of. Overall his strategy in making his exam seems to be to incorporate a high level of unavoidable chance (though he would never admit it).

tamtam

New

Post by tamtam » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:45 am

man... which law school....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:50 am

bobjr wrote:Yeah, he is a bit Kingsfieldian. He'll pick one student at random at the start of the class (~120 kids) and grill them for an hour straight. He tore into one kid (who had obviously done the reading) one morning because he got tongue tied in the first sentence of an answer when called on (told him he didn't belong in law school, was wasting everyone's money, etc...). His tests are also a bit absurd-- they are comprised of extremely complicated and ambiguous multiple choice questions, which you can just barely finish in the allotted time (ambiguous because he does not supply answer keys to past years' exams, so you can recognize questions similar to those he's used in the past, but are never sure of the answer), and a multi-part essay with a character limit of 2500-3500. On the essay he frequently presents a topic that was never discussed in class and expects you to perfectly analogize to something tangentially related that was discussed. If you analyze the wrong issue or don't bring up the correct case, as he explains, you will receive zero credit on that portion of the essay (an essay has maybe two or three 'portions'). The essay limit is so short that you cannot cover all of your bases; you must simply pick the point you think is most relevant and hope its the one he was thinking of. Overall his strategy in making his exam seems to be to incorporate a high level of unavoidable chance (though he would never admit it).

awesome

bobjr

New

Post by bobjr » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:38 am

tamtam wrote:man... which law school....

gulc. and the sick thing is that class was actually really fun once you found out he wasn't going to call on you that day. he preyed on me the first week, so i was able to kick back and enjoy watching the feeding for the rest of the semester.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:40 am

yeah, that is sick

bobjr

New

Post by bobjr » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:54 am

we weren't without compassion, though. when someone was being beat-up on, everyone would gchat answers to the person. the prof also like to tell the class a short funny story of joke after calling on someone, and explain that it was meant to be a delay to let the person he had just called on gather their notes/prepare themselves... sort of like giving a fox a sporting head start before you unleash the hounds

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sonpleaseiamthelaw

New

Post by sonpleaseiamthelaw » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:37 am

fail grammar

dpw4040

New

Post by dpw4040 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:50 am

sonpleaseiamthelaw wrote:fail grammar
+1

bobjr

New

Post by bobjr » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:47 pm

oh well

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:36 pm

look, it's the Reno 911 of grammar police^

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:16 pm

I just got my first grade back today and the the grade curve is fucking nutz! The distribution is below and it was out of 150. Basically if you had at least a 43% you passed with a C- (no one fell below that), but the median being 60% is pretty outrageous.

A+ 135-150
A 112-134
A- 105-111
B+ 100-104
B 91-99
B- 90
C+ 86-89
C 71-85
C- 65-70
D+ 60-64
D 50-59
F 0-49

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:39 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:the median being 60% is pretty outrageous.
And pretty typical. Without the crippling point scale they wouldn't have enough tailroom for the upper end of the curve.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:39 pm

bobjr wrote:Yeah, he is a bit Kingsfieldian. He'll pick one student at random at the start of the class (~120 kids) and grill them for an hour straight. He tore into one kid (who had obviously done the reading) one morning because he got tongue tied in the first sentence of an answer when called on (told him he didn't belong in law school, was wasting everyone's money, etc...).
Did no one grab their balls and tell him to suck on their big fat dong? Seems like it woulda been pretty hard to hold back with this guy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”