Gunner Bingo Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sjk

Bronze

Re: Gunner Bingo

Post by sjk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:17 pm

thespinstartshere wrote:
sjk wrote:
thespinstartshere wrote:My philosophy is as follows: If the professor asks for a volunteer and no one else raises their hand, I will volunteer myself so long as I have an intelligent answer to the question. I will not speak just to hear the sound of my own voice, but in the same respect, I see no need to leave the professor waiting for a response that may or may not come from elsewhere in the class. I simply fail to see how this would make me a gunner, although my spirit will not be crushed if someone decides to put my name on a bingo card. In fact, I will be happy to sell my speaking services to any classmates for a cut of their bingo winnings.
Um then you are not a gunner!!!
Well, then, that certainly is a load off of my shoulders. Now pass me a gunner bingo card so I can make fun of these dbags as well. :D
LOL okay!

and concur with paul. Exams only.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:25 pm

I should add, some of my profs reserved the right to adjust a students average by as much as .3 for exceptionally good or exceptionally bad class participation.

tsukasa

New

Post by tsukasa » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:31 pm

sjk wrote:
thespinstartshere wrote:
sjk wrote:
thespinstartshere wrote:My philosophy is as follows: If the professor asks for a volunteer and no one else raises their hand, I will volunteer myself so long as I have an intelligent answer to the question. I will not speak just to hear the sound of my own voice, but in the same respect, I see no need to leave the professor waiting for a response that may or may not come from elsewhere in the class. I simply fail to see how this would make me a gunner, although my spirit will not be crushed if someone decides to put my name on a bingo card. In fact, I will be happy to sell my speaking services to any classmates for a cut of their bingo winnings.
Um then you are not a gunner!!!
Well, then, that certainly is a load off of my shoulders. Now pass me a gunner bingo card so I can make fun of these dbags as well. :D
LOL okay!

and concur with paul. Exams only.
lol, in that case gunning seems like a total waste of time for both the gunner and the class!!

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:32 pm

Exactly, that is why people get tired of it REALLY fast.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:46 pm

Whenever I've heard of gunner bingo, one of the big challenges was in calling the bingo. Rather than standing up and yelling it, you had to raise your hand and offer something insightful, but work the word "bingo" into your answer or question. Basically, you have to call out your gunner bingo without being one yourself; if you filled a row on your card but didn't have anything worthwhile to say, you don't win jack.

I think it's also important to note that the "prize" for gunner bingo is almost always drinks on the losers the next time you go out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:50 pm

mumbling2myself wrote:Whenever I've heard of gunner bingo, one of the big challenges was in calling the bingo. Rather than standing up and yelling it, you had to raise your hand and offer something insightful, but work the word "bingo" into your answer or question. Basically, you have to call out your gunner bingo without being one yourself; if you filled a row on your card but didn't have anything worthwhile to say, you don't win jack.

I think it's also important to note that the "prize" for gunner bingo is almost always drinks on the losers the next time you go out.
I love that someone already knows the rules.
I'm ready to play.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:03 pm

Oh, I never actually played during my first year. I spent most of my time gchatting with people in other classes and sending them ridiculous things to make them laugh. This worked extraordinarily well on nonunique.

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:05 pm

mumbling2myself wrote:Whenever I've heard of gunner bingo, one of the big challenges was in calling the bingo. Rather than standing up and yelling it, you had to raise your hand and offer something insightful, but work the word "bingo" into your answer or question. Basically, you have to call out your gunner bingo without being one yourself; if you filled a row on your card but didn't have anything worthwhile to say, you don't win jack.

This is fantastic.. clever game, clever rules -- I can't wait for 1L.

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:10 pm

sjk, we're totally playing this year. Any thoughts yet about who the gunners might be, based on the facebook group? I've got a few suspicions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:12 pm

LOL I do have a few suspicions as well...we will learn more at orientation... :twisted:

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:28 pm

thespinstartshere

New

Post by thespinstartshere » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:30 pm

^^^This is one of the few posts that has actually caused me to lol.

Omaha2006

New

Post by Omaha2006 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:32 pm

We played this in undergrad. It was called a different name but it was the same game. It was an awesome game in big philosophy lectures--the breeding ground for gunners. However, I did find that making the cards were unfair. People would put the most likely to speak in a line. It's not like real bingo where every unit has an equal chance of being picked. Like certain people you KNEW they would be one of the first 3 to speak.

Is there a remedy for this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:33 pm

I would say, of the 5 in a row, they all have to be different gunners. And selected randomly

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:35 pm

You can do what people do for football pools. Put all the names in a hat and pull it out, that's the first square, the next name is the second square, and so on until you fill your card.

Or have everyone make a card for someone else, so then you would be less likely to put all the good names together.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Omaha2006 wrote:We played this in undergrad. It was called a different name but it was the same game. It was an awesome game in big philosophy lectures--the breeding ground for gunners. However, I did find that making the cards were unfair. People would put the most likely to speak in a line. It's not like real bingo where every unit has an equal chance of being picked. Like certain people you KNEW they would be one of the first 3 to speak.

Is there a remedy for this?
In my classes, there were usually only 3-5 gunners total (if that). The cards could all have easily just been randomly arranged by one person (though you'd want to make sure that the same person wasn't listed 3 times in a row or something similarly ridiculous). You could also make the entries on the cards behavior specific (e.g., one spot for a question from a particular gunner, another for an answer, another for a rebuttal hypo proposed by the gunner). Just be creative.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:41 pm

Law school is going to be more fun than I thought.

note to self: Do not open links from m2m in class.
Last edited by Merrill on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:42 pm

Merrill wrote:Law school is going to be more fun than I thought.
You really need to come to one of our parties. :)

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:43 pm

mumbling2myself wrote:
Merrill wrote:Law school is going to be more fun than I thought.
You really need to come to one of our parties. :)
Say when; I'll bring beer. :D

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:47 pm

paul1454 wrote:
IMO, Gunners aren't simply those who raise their hands a lot. Gunners are the ones who raise their hand a lot but do not provide anything useful to the discussion. They ask questions just to hear themselves talk, provide input into discussions because they believe they somehow have a much better grasp on the concept than anyone else, and LOVE to tell stories of their past in an effort to explain how that has led them to understand what the class is pondering over. In many cases, the Gunners end up being comprised mainly of non traditional students but that is not always the case. There were a couple at my school who were straight from undergrad. Think of the suck-ups in undergrad and the like, and you'll be able to find the gunners. Point is, they will be easy to pick out and if you can't figure out who they are..........then one of them is you.
As a non-trad, I'm now worried that I'll inadvertently be a gunner--maybe it sneaks up on you as you get older, like Alzheimer's. :(

playhero

New

Post by playhero » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:48 pm

Glad at 22+ we are so worried about people being 'mean'.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

egrubs

New

Post by egrubs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:49 pm

Merrill wrote:As a non-trad, I'm now worried that I'll inadvertently be a gunner--maybe it sneaks up on you as you get older, like Alzheimer's. :(
As a non-trad, I think it's easy--don't pretend holding a full-time job has bequeathed you with knowledge above and beyond black-letter law and your fellow classmates, and you won't be a gunner.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:51 pm

Merrill wrote:
paul1454 wrote:
IMO, Gunners aren't simply those who raise their hands a lot. Gunners are the ones who raise their hand a lot but do not provide anything useful to the discussion. They ask questions just to hear themselves talk, provide input into discussions because they believe they somehow have a much better grasp on the concept than anyone else, and LOVE to tell stories of their past in an effort to explain how that has led them to understand what the class is pondering over. In many cases, the Gunners end up being comprised mainly of non traditional students but that is not always the case. There were a couple at my school who were straight from undergrad. Think of the suck-ups in undergrad and the like, and you'll be able to find the gunners. Point is, they will be easy to pick out and if you can't figure out who they are..........then one of them is you.
As a non-trad, I'm now worried that I'll inadvertently be a gunner--maybe it sneaks up on you as you get older, like Alzheimer's. :(
You're coming to Northwestern, Merril. We've almost all interesting work experience. You're much less likely to try and show off by talking about experience that 95% of your class has (as are almost all of your classmates), and if you have some relevant story that's actually relevant, you're fine to share it.

Aren't you glad you didn't pick Chicago ;)

valrp

New

Post by valrp » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:54 pm

playhero wrote:Glad at 22+ we are so worried about people being 'mean'.
Meany!

readinmonotone

New

Post by readinmonotone » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:03 pm

Wait, so we can't play at Texas? Why not? How do they know? Am I going to be carted away because I accidentally say "bingo" in an answer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”