Gunner Bingo

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby 06072010 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:25 pm

I loved property.

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby Corsair » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:27 pm

..

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby 06072010 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:28 pm

I totally would. It's the only class where my rule-nazi D&D, Magic card skillz pay off.

finalnight
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:30 am

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby finalnight » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:05 am

I am beginning to envision having fantasy gunnerball at my school.

We could hold a draft at the beginning of 2nd semester of the top gunners and the player with the most points at the end would win the pot.

User avatar
orangeswarm
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:38 pm

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby orangeswarm » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:11 am

All this gunner bingo talk got me thinking.........how many gunners did you guys have in your classes? I don't think we had enough to pull off a gunner bingo. In my section (of about 60), we only had on true gunner (but that person was so bad it was like having 10 little gunners :D ).

Da Stain
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby Da Stain » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:21 am

Corsair wrote:
PKSebben wrote:I loved property.

Why don't you marry it?

or take it out back of the middle school and get it pregnant?

User avatar
thespinstartshere
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby thespinstartshere » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:24 am

All of this talk about gunners has made me question what it is that identifies an authentic gunner? If it is not simply volunteering in class, what is the threshold that one must cross in order to be considered a gunner by one’s peers? Do people really go off on entirely unrelated tangents wasting the time and patience of their professors and classmates? Do people really believe that the three week vacation they spent in Kenya following their high school graduation is relevant to a first year Contracts course? Do people really volunteer themselves when they know very well that they do not possess an even mildly intelligent answer?

User avatar
mumbling2myself
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:23 pm

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby mumbling2myself » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:27 am

thespinstartshere wrote:All of this talk about gunners has made me question what it is that identifies an authentic gunner? If it is not simply volunteering in class, what is the threshold that one must cross in order to be considered a gunner by one’s peers? Do people really go off on entirely unrelated tangents wasting the time and patience of their professors and classmates? Do people really believe that the three week vacation they spent in Kenya following their high school graduation is relevant to a first year Contracts course? Do people really volunteer themselves when they know very well that they do not possess an even mildly intelligent answer?


All of these things are indicative of gunning. There was a kid in my section who often had really intelligent things to say, but spoke so unbeleivably slowly that there were often audible groans when he was called on. "I..... have.... a..... question. In.... two... parts..." Ugh. Not a classic gunner, but wasteful enough of everyone's time that it was really annoying despite the general quality of his thoughts.


Oh, and he only spoke slowly when called on by profs (I think he was worried about phrasing everything well; outside class he was a normal conversationalist). Very weird.

User avatar
orangeswarm
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:38 pm

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby orangeswarm » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:29 am

Do people really go off on entirely unrelated tangents wasting the time and patience of their professors and classmates?

Yes.

Do people really believe that the three week vacation they spent in Kenya following their high school graduation is relevant to a first year Contracts course?

Not even on that level. More like their trip to the supermarket, but Yes.

Do people really volunteer themselves when they know very well that they do not possess an even mildly intelligent answer?

I am not sure they even realize they don't know anything about the subject, but Yes.

User avatar
waytofailself
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:20 am

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby waytofailself » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:46 am

Dunno...I just find it very funny that people are talking about "gunners" as if it's something terribly new. I wonder if either people were too busy messing around in UG or wherever to notice, or if the classes I took for my teaching license gave me a unique experience. Thinking back, I had way more useless people in my curriculum classes than my english classes, and (as much as I hate to say it because this is me now), most of them were coming in for their second time around blabbing about who knows what trying to kiss ass to the professor.

That's the real key right there: dirtying one's face with feces. Seriously, I read this thread and get the impression that people have never dealt with this kind of stuff in class before and are turning it into ZOMG GUNNEeERBINGSO IZSO KEWL. Gotta be the shit before starting 1L, eh?

It might just be my personality, but I'm not exactly sure why people resort to stuff like this. Yeah, talking heads are annoying as crap, but doesn't turning it into a game simply represent some sort of way to try and control the situation and make people feel better about themselves? I didn't know people went to law school just to give themselves a pat on the back.

So what happens if, in turn, someone calls bingo on you? Do you have a 15th birthday "I got a Lexus WITHOUT LEATHER INTERRIOR?!?!?!" hissy fit? I'd just laugh. Hell, I'd probably say, "Thanks." Are people so desperate for their peer's approval that they turn back the clock to 2nd grade?

phillyphanatic
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:26 am

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby phillyphanatic » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:56 am

I think someone is taking the whole Gunner Bingo thing a little too seriously...

est1980
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:45 pm

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby est1980 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:12 pm

SgtBilko wrote:
Corsair wrote:
PKSebben wrote:I loved property.

Why don't you marry it?

or take it out back of the middle school and get it pregnant?


180

User avatar
waytofailself
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:20 am

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby waytofailself » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:17 pm

phillyphanatic wrote:I think someone is taking the whole Gunner Bingo thing a little too seriously...


Are you sure it isn't the people who are making fantasy gunner leagues out of it? :D

User avatar
sjk
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:14 am

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby sjk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:24 pm

waytofailself wrote:
phillyphanatic wrote:I think someone is taking the whole Gunner Bingo thing a little too seriously...


Are you sure it isn't the people who are making fantasy gunner leagues out of it? :D


No one ever said gunners were a new thing...This is just the first time I've ever heard of someone making a game out of it.
Of course there were annoying people who never shut up in UG and everyone would roll their eyes when they would talk but I think it would be especially annoying in law school.

You need to lighten up a bit. I'm sorry you think you are too good for gunner bingo but i think ZOMG GUNNEeERBINGSO IZSO KEWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KP429
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby KP429 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:26 pm

waytofailself wrote:Dunno...I just find it very funny that people are talking about "gunners" as if it's something terribly new. I wonder if either people were too busy messing around in UG or wherever to notice, or if the classes I took for my teaching license gave me a unique experience. Thinking back, I had way more useless people in my curriculum classes than my english classes, and (as much as I hate to say it because this is me now), most of them were coming in for their second time around blabbing about who knows what trying to kiss ass to the professor.

That's the real key right there: dirtying one's face with feces. Seriously, I read this thread and get the impression that people have never dealt with this kind of stuff in class before and are turning it into ZOMG GUNNEeERBINGSO IZSO KEWL. Gotta be the shit before starting 1L, eh?

It might just be my personality, but I'm not exactly sure why people resort to stuff like this. Yeah, talking heads are annoying as crap, but doesn't turning it into a game simply represent some sort of way to try and control the situation and make people feel better about themselves? I didn't know people went to law school just to give themselves a pat on the back.

So what happens if, in turn, someone calls bingo on you? Do you have a 15th birthday "I got a Lexus WITHOUT LEATHER INTERRIOR?!?!?!" hissy fit? I'd just laugh. Hell, I'd probably say, "Thanks." Are people so desperate for their peer's approval that they turn back the clock to 2nd grade?


FAIL.

User avatar
waytofailself
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:20 am

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby waytofailself » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:34 pm

sjk wrote:
waytofailself wrote:
phillyphanatic wrote:I think someone is taking the whole Gunner Bingo thing a little too seriously...


Are you sure it isn't the people who are making fantasy gunner leagues out of it? :D


No one ever said gunners were a new thing...This is just the first time I've ever heard of someone making a game out of it.
Of course there were annoying people who never shut up in UG and everyone would roll their eyes when they would talk but I think it would be especially annoying in law school.

You need to lighten up a bit. I'm sorry you think you are too good for gunner bingo but i think ZOMG GUNNEeERBINGSO IZSO KEWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I don't mind disagreeing at all. On the other hand, I've also seen games like this from the teacher's point of view and it really creates bad vibes (about equally bad as said gunner).

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby BradyToMoss » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:36 pm

waytofailself wrote:
sjk wrote:
waytofailself wrote:
phillyphanatic wrote:I think someone is taking the whole Gunner Bingo thing a little too seriously...


Are you sure it isn't the people who are making fantasy gunner leagues out of it? :D


No one ever said gunners were a new thing...This is just the first time I've ever heard of someone making a game out of it.
Of course there were annoying people who never shut up in UG and everyone would roll their eyes when they would talk but I think it would be especially annoying in law school.

You need to lighten up a bit. I'm sorry you think you are too good for gunner bingo but i think ZOMG GUNNEeERBINGSO IZSO KEWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I don't mind disagreeing at all. On the other hand, I've also seen games like this from the teacher's point of view and it really creates bad vibes (about equally bad as said gunner).


These games aren't bad, gunners are bad. If someone is genuinely a gunner they have a very tough time realizing they are a douche-bag. Anything that can bring that douche-baggery status to light to said gunner and get him/her to shut the f up should be encouraged by anyone who wants to get their $'s worth at LS.

User avatar
waytofailself
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:20 am

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby waytofailself » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Thus the bad vibes...though maybe I'm too used to dealing with reactionary teenagers (or worse, law school turns into high school redux).

Making someone like that shut up and think about what he or she is saying. Now that's funny...how long would it last?

User avatar
mumbling2myself
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:23 pm

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby mumbling2myself » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:50 pm

waytofailself wrote:Thus the bad vibes...though maybe I'm too used to dealing with reactionary teenagers (or worse, law school turns into high school redux).

Making someone like that shut up and think about what he or she is saying. Now that's funny...how long would it last?


I think you'll notice that very few of us who have actually been in law school have taken the time to play any of these games. They're fun to talk about, but in practice there are waaaay too many important things to do with your time to expend a lot of effort.

There haven been plenty of jokes about, "Oh man, if you ask that question tomorrow, you'll totally win law school!" but rarely, if ever, has anyone at my school done anything so ridiculous. Mostly the gunners are just encouraged to think before they speak (politely) and ignored in class discussions. It's not like you're tanking your career if you gun all the time; it's just going to annoy your classmates. That annoyance is the origin of any bad vibes, IMHO, not people's jocular reactions to it.

wigless follies
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:20 pm

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby wigless follies » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:32 pm

I've only had one class with Corsair...and, though he talks at length, I wouldn't characterize what he does as classic "gunning."


Credited. This is because he largely refuses to raise his hand or to speak directly to the professor.

Instead, he seems to prefer dropping [supposedly] sotto voce remarks upon those in close range.

It's not gunning. It's clusterbombing.

This behavior is considered clever by some (I presume, though I have no evidence to back that up), and annoying/cowardly by others.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby kn6542 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:33 pm

SgtBilko wrote:
Corsair wrote:
PKSebben wrote:I loved property.

Why don't you marry it?

or take it out back of the middle school and get it pregnant?

:lol:

zeezoo
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:58 pm

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby zeezoo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:04 pm

PKS... a gamer.. o my lol

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby underdawg » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:10 pm

emmy seems very insecure about possibly being a gunner

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby underdawg » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:11 pm

wigless follies wrote:
I've only had one class with Corsair...and, though he talks at length, I wouldn't characterize what he does as classic "gunning."


Credited. This is because he largely refuses to raise his hand or to speak directly to the professor.

Instead, he seems to prefer dropping [supposedly] sotto voce remarks upon those in close range.

It's not gunning. It's clusterbombing.

This behavior is considered clever by some (I presume, though I have no evidence to back that up), and annoying/cowardly by others.

lolzers

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby 06072010 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:18 pm

The thing is that gunners KNOW they're gunners. They're totally okay with it. Even though games like this happen, I didn't notice any bad vibes -- for the most part everyone in law school has some perspective and the ability to laugh at themselves. I can't think of one person in my section, myself included, who didn't at one point look like a total fucking retard in class. I had a particularly disastrous moment in Contracts.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests