Gunner Bingo Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Corsair

Gold

Re: Gunner Bingo

Post by Corsair » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:27 pm

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:28 pm

I totally would. It's the only class where my rule-nazi D&D, Magic card skillz pay off.

finalnight

New

Post by finalnight » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:05 am

I am beginning to envision having fantasy gunnerball at my school.

We could hold a draft at the beginning of 2nd semester of the top gunners and the player with the most points at the end would win the pot.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:11 am

All this gunner bingo talk got me thinking.........how many gunners did you guys have in your classes? I don't think we had enough to pull off a gunner bingo. In my section (of about 60), we only had on true gunner (but that person was so bad it was like having 10 little gunners :D ).

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:21 am

Corsair wrote:
PKSebben wrote:I loved property.
Why don't you marry it?
or take it out back of the middle school and get it pregnant?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thespinstartshere

New

Post by thespinstartshere » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:24 am

All of this talk about gunners has made me question what it is that identifies an authentic gunner? If it is not simply volunteering in class, what is the threshold that one must cross in order to be considered a gunner by one’s peers? Do people really go off on entirely unrelated tangents wasting the time and patience of their professors and classmates? Do people really believe that the three week vacation they spent in Kenya following their high school graduation is relevant to a first year Contracts course? Do people really volunteer themselves when they know very well that they do not possess an even mildly intelligent answer?

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:27 am

thespinstartshere wrote:All of this talk about gunners has made me question what it is that identifies an authentic gunner? If it is not simply volunteering in class, what is the threshold that one must cross in order to be considered a gunner by one’s peers? Do people really go off on entirely unrelated tangents wasting the time and patience of their professors and classmates? Do people really believe that the three week vacation they spent in Kenya following their high school graduation is relevant to a first year Contracts course? Do people really volunteer themselves when they know very well that they do not possess an even mildly intelligent answer?
All of these things are indicative of gunning. There was a kid in my section who often had really intelligent things to say, but spoke so unbeleivably slowly that there were often audible groans when he was called on. "I..... have.... a..... question. In.... two... parts..." Ugh. Not a classic gunner, but wasteful enough of everyone's time that it was really annoying despite the general quality of his thoughts.

Oh, and he only spoke slowly when called on by profs (I think he was worried about phrasing everything well; outside class he was a normal conversationalist). Very weird.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:29 am

Do people really go off on entirely unrelated tangents wasting the time and patience of their professors and classmates?
Yes.
Do people really believe that the three week vacation they spent in Kenya following their high school graduation is relevant to a first year Contracts course?
Not even on that level. More like their trip to the supermarket, but Yes.
Do people really volunteer themselves when they know very well that they do not possess an even mildly intelligent answer?
I am not sure they even realize they don't know anything about the subject, but Yes.

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:46 am

Dunno...I just find it very funny that people are talking about "gunners" as if it's something terribly new. I wonder if either people were too busy messing around in UG or wherever to notice, or if the classes I took for my teaching license gave me a unique experience. Thinking back, I had way more useless people in my curriculum classes than my english classes, and (as much as I hate to say it because this is me now), most of them were coming in for their second time around blabbing about who knows what trying to kiss ass to the professor.

That's the real key right there: dirtying one's face with feces. Seriously, I read this thread and get the impression that people have never dealt with this kind of stuff in class before and are turning it into ZOMG GUNNEeERBINGSO IZSO KEWL. Gotta be the shit before starting 1L, eh?

It might just be my personality, but I'm not exactly sure why people resort to stuff like this. Yeah, talking heads are annoying as crap, but doesn't turning it into a game simply represent some sort of way to try and control the situation and make people feel better about themselves? I didn't know people went to law school just to give themselves a pat on the back.

So what happens if, in turn, someone calls bingo on you? Do you have a 15th birthday "I got a Lexus WITHOUT LEATHER INTERRIOR?!?!?!" hissy fit? I'd just laugh. Hell, I'd probably say, "Thanks." Are people so desperate for their peer's approval that they turn back the clock to 2nd grade?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

phillyphanatic

New

Post by phillyphanatic » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:56 am

I think someone is taking the whole Gunner Bingo thing a little too seriously...

est1980

New

Post by est1980 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:12 pm

SgtBilko wrote:
Corsair wrote:
Why don't you marry it?

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:17 pm

phillyphanatic wrote:I think someone is taking the whole Gunner Bingo thing a little too seriously...
Are you sure it isn't the people who are making fantasy gunner leagues out of it? :D

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:24 pm

waytofailself wrote:
phillyphanatic wrote:I think someone is taking the whole Gunner Bingo thing a little too seriously...
Are you sure it isn't the people who are making fantasy gunner leagues out of it? :D
No one ever said gunners were a new thing...This is just the first time I've ever heard of someone making a game out of it.
Of course there were annoying people who never shut up in UG and everyone would roll their eyes when they would talk but I think it would be especially annoying in law school.

You need to lighten up a bit. I'm sorry you think you are too good for gunner bingo but i think ZOMG GUNNEeERBINGSO IZSO KEWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:26 pm

waytofailself wrote:Dunno...I just find it very funny that people are talking about "gunners" as if it's something terribly new. I wonder if either people were too busy messing around in UG or wherever to notice, or if the classes I took for my teaching license gave me a unique experience. Thinking back, I had way more useless people in my curriculum classes than my english classes, and (as much as I hate to say it because this is me now), most of them were coming in for their second time around blabbing about who knows what trying to kiss ass to the professor.

That's the real key right there: dirtying one's face with feces. Seriously, I read this thread and get the impression that people have never dealt with this kind of stuff in class before and are turning it into ZOMG GUNNEeERBINGSO IZSO KEWL. Gotta be the shit before starting 1L, eh?

It might just be my personality, but I'm not exactly sure why people resort to stuff like this. Yeah, talking heads are annoying as crap, but doesn't turning it into a game simply represent some sort of way to try and control the situation and make people feel better about themselves? I didn't know people went to law school just to give themselves a pat on the back.

So what happens if, in turn, someone calls bingo on you? Do you have a 15th birthday "I got a Lexus WITHOUT LEATHER INTERRIOR?!?!?!" hissy fit? I'd just laugh. Hell, I'd probably say, "Thanks." Are people so desperate for their peer's approval that they turn back the clock to 2nd grade?
FAIL.

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:34 pm

sjk wrote:
waytofailself wrote:
No one ever said gunners were a new thing...This is just the first time I've ever heard of someone making a game out of it.
Of course there were annoying people who never shut up in UG and everyone would roll their eyes when they would talk but I think it would be especially annoying in law school.

You need to lighten up a bit. I'm sorry you think you are too good for gunner bingo but i think ZOMG GUNNEeERBINGSO IZSO KEWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't mind disagreeing at all. On the other hand, I've also seen games like this from the teacher's point of view and it really creates bad vibes (about equally bad as said gunner).

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:36 pm

waytofailself wrote:
sjk wrote:
waytofailself wrote:

I don't mind disagreeing at all. On the other hand, I've also seen games like this from the teacher's point of view and it really creates bad vibes (about equally bad as said gunner).
These games aren't bad, gunners are bad. If someone is genuinely a gunner they have a very tough time realizing they are a douche-bag. Anything that can bring that douche-baggery status to light to said gunner and get him/her to shut the f up should be encouraged by anyone who wants to get their $'s worth at LS.

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Thus the bad vibes...though maybe I'm too used to dealing with reactionary teenagers (or worse, law school turns into high school redux).

Making someone like that shut up and think about what he or she is saying. Now that's funny...how long would it last?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:50 pm

waytofailself wrote:Thus the bad vibes...though maybe I'm too used to dealing with reactionary teenagers (or worse, law school turns into high school redux).

Making someone like that shut up and think about what he or she is saying. Now that's funny...how long would it last?
I think you'll notice that very few of us who have actually been in law school have taken the time to play any of these games. They're fun to talk about, but in practice there are waaaay too many important things to do with your time to expend a lot of effort.

There haven been plenty of jokes about, "Oh man, if you ask that question tomorrow, you'll totally win law school!" but rarely, if ever, has anyone at my school done anything so ridiculous. Mostly the gunners are just encouraged to think before they speak (politely) and ignored in class discussions. It's not like you're tanking your career if you gun all the time; it's just going to annoy your classmates. That annoyance is the origin of any bad vibes, IMHO, not people's jocular reactions to it.

wigless follies

New

Post by wigless follies » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:32 pm

I've only had one class with Corsair...and, though he talks at length, I wouldn't characterize what he does as classic "gunning."
Credited. This is because he largely refuses to raise his hand or to speak directly to the professor.

Instead, he seems to prefer dropping [supposedly] sotto voce remarks upon those in close range.

It's not gunning. It's clusterbombing.

This behavior is considered clever by some (I presume, though I have no evidence to back that up), and annoying/cowardly by others.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:33 pm

SgtBilko wrote:
Corsair wrote:
Why don't you marry it?
:lol:

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:04 pm

PKS... a gamer.. o my lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:10 pm

emmy seems very insecure about possibly being a gunner
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:11 pm

wigless follies wrote:
I've only had one class with Corsair...and, though he talks at length, I wouldn't characterize what he does as classic "gunning."
Credited. This is because he largely refuses to raise his hand or to speak directly to the professor.

Instead, he seems to prefer dropping [supposedly] sotto voce remarks upon those in close range.

It's not gunning. It's clusterbombing.

This behavior is considered clever by some (I presume, though I have no evidence to back that up), and annoying/cowardly by others.
lolzers
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:18 pm

The thing is that gunners KNOW they're gunners. They're totally okay with it. Even though games like this happen, I didn't notice any bad vibes -- for the most part everyone in law school has some perspective and the ability to laugh at themselves. I can't think of one person in my section, myself included, who didn't at one point look like a total fucking retard in class. I had a particularly disastrous moment in Contracts.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:20 pm

PKSebben wrote:The thing is that gunners KNOW they're gunners. They're totally okay with it. Even though games like this happen, I didn't notice any bad vibes -- for the most part everyone in law school has some perspective and the ability to laugh at themselves. I can't think of one person in my section, myself included, who didn't at one point look like a total fucking retard in class. I had a particularly disastrous moment in Contracts.
I got high-fives from people I never talked to before after one particularly disastrous day in Con-Law.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”