Gunner Bingo Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AVSexton

New

Re: Gunner Bingo

Post by AVSexton » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:12 pm

Having valuable insight in class is really only important if you're going to need LOR from professors. Those of us with dreams of transferring to the T14 from our T1s will have to strike the balance between Douchebag Gunner and "The guy that never says anything".

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:14 pm

You can visit the professor in office hours and get to know him/her. Also, if you get the highest grade in the class it will speak far louder than any LOR.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:16 pm

AVSexton wrote:Having valuable insight in class is really only important if you're going to need LOR from professors. Those of us with dreams of transferring to the T14 from our T1s will have to strike the balance between Douchebag Gunner and "The guy that never says anything".
If you want a LOR from a prof, being a gunner is a piss poor way to go about it. Do the work, be well prepared, and ask questions when you really want to know the answer (and have actually thought about it a little). Talking to prof after classes will be good too. If you can talk to a prof after class a few times during the semester and show some genuine interest in the subject and the course, it'll look far better than the constant barrage of god knows what that gets most gunners their poor reputations.

AVSexton

New

Post by AVSexton » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Well, not all schools do numerical ranking.

Wisconsin, for example, does class rank based on a GPA table that accounts for the previous three years. So, if a 3.4 averaged over the past 3 years would put you in the top 20%, for example, that is the class rank you are allowed to claim. They only do intervals of 5%.

The only exception is that they give the top 10 rising 3Ls their exact standing, so that they can be more competative for federal clerkships.

Grades are obviously the most important measure, but coming from a middle-of-the-road T1 such as Wisconsin, I have 20 schools worth of top 10% students that I need to out-shine to make it in to the T14. LOR are important.

I simply don't buy the idea that you're a douchebag if you participate in class. I recognize the difference between being a gunner and being an insightful member of class, but it seems like anyone who volunteers any information at ALL can be labeled a gunner.

Edit- it seems like I've been misunderstood. I'm not advocating being a gunner, just saying that participating in class isn't automatically a bad thing, as long as it is appropriate.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:21 pm

We played "fantasy gunner" with pre-semester drafts. Couldn't select yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:22 pm

haha, That sounds like a good alt. now that bingo is off limits.

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:23 pm

I simply don't buy the idea that you're a douchebag if you participate in class. I recognize the difference between being a gunner and being an insightful member of class, but it seems like anyone who volunteers any information at ALL can be labeled a gunner.
Credited. That's what worries me.

Amory Blaine

New

Post by Amory Blaine » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:28 pm

Ok so rather than, "If you can't spot the gunner, it's you" let's say "If you're that worried about being the gunner, it's you."

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:39 pm

Damn.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

S.Toppel

New

Post by S.Toppel » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:44 pm

some of my classmates played gunner bingo during 1L. unsurprisingly, they came off as far bigger douchebags than the "gunners" they ridiculed.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:47 pm

^^^ That's what all the gunners say. :D

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:47 pm

they came off as douchebags to who? other douchebags?
people were probably just pissed they werent invited to play.

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:52 pm

Lol, I love the "OPEN UP YOUR OWN LAW SCHOOL" line.

Gunners definitely don't exist only in law school. The concept of 'Gunner Bingo' is HILARIOUS. Good god, I need to get some friends to play this at college. From my own experience, the students in my discussion sections who are the most quiet/rarely say anything insightful are the ones with the best grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:54 pm

sjk wrote:they came off as douchebags to who? other douchebags?
people were probably just pissed they werent invited to play.
I think this is a funny idea, but it's pretty easy to see how it could contribute to douchiness in the classroom. It would be annoying to see the players always looking around at each other and winking whenever a gunner would speak.

SebastianGould

New

Post by SebastianGould » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:02 pm

AVSexton will be the typical delusional gunner who won't know when to shut the hell up. What gunner doesn't think that their worthless questions/insight are not contributing to the classroom discussion.

GaiijinLawyer

New

Post by GaiijinLawyer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:03 pm

I think the best would be as soon as a gunner starts one of his irrelevant comments for someone to just stand up/yell out BINGO!!! BINGO!!! YES!!! I WIN AT GUNNER BINGO! HAHA! I KNEW I YOU WERE MY BEST BET!

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:04 pm

It was a pain in the ass to calculate Fantasy Gunner points. Dssinc's section played a game where you had to get the professor to say a crazy word, or for you to say a crazy word in class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:04 pm

GaiijinLawyer wrote:I think the best would be as soon as a gunner starts one of his irrelevant comments for someone to just stand up/yell out BINGO!!! BINGO!!! YES!!! I WIN AT GUNNER BINGO! HAHA! I KNEW I YOU WERE MY BEST BET!
HAHAHA

thespinstartshere

New

Post by thespinstartshere » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:05 pm

My philosophy is as follows: If the professor asks for a volunteer and no one else raises their hand, I will volunteer myself so long as I have an intelligent answer to the question. I will not speak just to hear the sound of my own voice, but in the same respect, I see no need to leave the professor waiting for a response that may or may not come from elsewhere in the class. I simply fail to see how this would make me a gunner, although my spirit will not be crushed if someone decides to put my name on a bingo card. In fact, I will be happy to sell my speaking services to any classmates for a cut of their bingo winnings.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:07 pm

thespinstartshere wrote:My philosophy is as follows: If the professor asks for a volunteer and no one else raises their hand, I will volunteer myself so long as I have an intelligent answer to the question. I will not speak just to hear the sound of my own voice, but in the same respect, I see no need to leave the professor waiting for a response that may or may not come from elsewhere in the class. I simply fail to see how this would make me a gunner, although my spirit will not be crushed if someone decides to put my name on a bingo card. In fact, I will be happy to sell my speaking services to any classmates for a cut of their bingo winnings.
Um then you are not a gunner!!!

SebastianGould

New

Post by SebastianGould » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:08 pm

^^^ Not a gunner

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thespinstartshere

New

Post by thespinstartshere » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:10 pm

sjk wrote:
thespinstartshere wrote:My philosophy is as follows: If the professor asks for a volunteer and no one else raises their hand, I will volunteer myself so long as I have an intelligent answer to the question. I will not speak just to hear the sound of my own voice, but in the same respect, I see no need to leave the professor waiting for a response that may or may not come from elsewhere in the class. I simply fail to see how this would make me a gunner, although my spirit will not be crushed if someone decides to put my name on a bingo card. In fact, I will be happy to sell my speaking services to any classmates for a cut of their bingo winnings.
Um then you are not a gunner!!!
Well, then, that certainly is a load off of my shoulders. Now pass me a gunner bingo card so I can make fun of these dbags as well. :D

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:11 pm

GaiijinLawyer wrote:I think the best would be as soon as a gunner starts one of his irrelevant comments for someone to just stand up/yell out BINGO!!! BINGO!!! YES!!! I WIN AT GUNNER BINGO! HAHA! I KNEW I YOU WERE MY BEST BET!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

tsukasa

New

Post by tsukasa » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:14 pm

are law school grades based more on class participation/ essays/ exams?

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:17 pm

Exams

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”