Gunner Bingo

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sjk

Gunner Bingo

Postby sjk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:29 pm

I heard this past weekend that UT banned Gunner Bingo... Apparently some students made a bingo card with all the Gunner's names and would fill in their squares as the Gunners would raise their hands...

Does this crap really happen?
If so, it is awesome.

GaiijinLawyer

Re: Gunner Bingo

Postby GaiijinLawyer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:33 pm

Hahaha that is awesome...but how did they get the names/know who the gunners were?

hous

Postby hous » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:33 pm

Thats the funniest thing ever!

sjk

Postby sjk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:34 pm

I would guess it is pretty obvious who the gunners are.

I can't wait to play.

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Totally the best part of law school.

lishi

Postby lishi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:40 pm

haha that's funny.

But imagine how sad it would be if you suddenly wanted to play and then saw your name on the card :shock:

GaiijinLawyer

Postby GaiijinLawyer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:41 pm

Oh your right...sorry I thought it was solely based on appearance of douchebaggery. I glossed over the hand raising part. I reiterate, that is awesome.

hous

Postby hous » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:52 pm

lishi wrote:haha that's funny.

But imagine how sad it would be if you suddenly wanted to play and then saw your name on the card :shock:

Suicide is the only option.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:57 pm

Will somebody explain to me the issue with "gunners."
Aren't they basically "people trying to get really good grades???"

It seems like the overwhelming sentiment here is "If you don't go to a t14 school you better do REALLY good."

And then if you try to do really good, you get labeled a "gunner."

sjk

Postby sjk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:59 pm

Since I haven't started school yet, I cant really say..but I would think they are just really annoying. You can try and get really good grades and still not be a gunner.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:00 pm

sjk wrote:Since I haven't started school yet, I cant really say..but I would think they are just really annoying. You can try and get really good grades and still not be a gunner.

I guess that's what I'll aim for.

YoungFogey

Postby YoungFogey » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:01 pm

True gunners are the ones who raise their hands to hear themselves talk, purposely derail the conversation off-topic, and generally see learning as a zero-sum game. They are exceedingly easy to spot.

You also have your eager-beaver types and your kiss @ss. They will get their share of ribbing, but are generally not loathed (at least not for this behavior alone). Sometimes they get thrown into the category of gunner, but IMHO, they aren't true gunners.

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:04 pm

YoungFogey wrote:True gunners are the ones who raise their hands to hear themselves talk, purposely derail the conversation off-topic, and generally see learning as a zero-sum game. They are exceedingly easy to spot.

You also have your eager-beaver types and your kiss @ss. They will get their share of ribbing, but are generally not loathed. Sometimes they get thrown into the category of gunner, but IMHO, they aren't true gunners.

TITCR.

But it seems that the jealous types will expand the term 'gunner' to include anyone who raises their hand often, yet makes a substantive contribution to the class. Frankly, I'm a little scared even to talk just because of this issue. Then again, people are going to judge you no matter what you do, so I'll ask as much as I need to maximize my learning without hindering the learning of others. That seems to be the best strategy.

mumbling2myself

Postby mumbling2myself » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:06 pm

Here's an example, from my torts 2 class.

Prof: "What are some justifications for awarding damages for pain and suffering in tort?"

Gunner (who hadn't attended class for several days, and constantly wore a smug, ridiculous expression): "Prof, I just don't think we should award damages for pain and suffering; they're universal experiences so we shouldn't compensate for them. Everybody feels pain, everybody suffers."

Now had this gunner come to class, he would have been privy to the discussion of wrongful death. It turns out the only truly universal experience has a whole body of law surrounding compensation. You don't compensate for death... you compensate for wrongful death. If he'd come to class prepared, we wouldn't have had to waste time rehashing this concept w/r/t pain and suffering. As was, he was more interested in talking than contributing.

Gunners aren't just people out for good grades, though many certainly are, gunners are people excited to hear themselves speak and monopolize the class time. There are plenty of people in my classes who contribute well and often to class discussions, ask insightful questions, and are universally liked by their classmates.

It's the ones who contribute nothing and waste everyone's time that piss people off.
Last edited by mumbling2myself on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orangeswarm

Postby orangeswarm » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:06 pm

reverendt wrote:Will somebody explain to me the issue with "gunners."

It seems like the overwhelming sentiment here is "If you don't go to a t14 school you better do REALLY good."

IMO, Gunners aren't simply those who raise their hands a lot. Gunners are the ones who raise their hand a lot but do not provide anything useful to the discussion. They ask questions just to hear themselves talk, provide input into discussions because they believe they somehow have a much better grasp on the concept than anyone else, and LOVE to tell stories of their past in an effort to explain how that has led them to understand what the class is pondering over. In many cases, the Gunners end up being comprised mainly of non traditional students but that is not always the case. There were a couple at my school who were straight from undergrad. Think of the suck-ups in undergrad and the like, and you'll be able to find the gunners. Point is, they will be easy to pick out and if you can't figure out who they are..........then one of them is you.

sjk

Postby sjk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:14 pm

I'm glad we are getting a better definition of what a gunner is. I just assumed I would roll my eyes when they talked and that's how I would know who they were.
Some people who raise their hands actually know the answer OR are trying to contribute to the discussion.

Still wanna play gunner bingo.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:16 pm

paul1454 wrote:
reverendt wrote:Will somebody explain to me the issue with "gunners."

IMO, Gunners aren't simply those who raise their hands a lot. Gunners are the ones who raise their hand a lot but do not provide anything useful to the discussion. They ask questions just to hear themselves talk, provide input into discussions because they believe they somehow have a much better grasp on the concept than anyone else, and LOVE to tell stories of their past in an effort to explain how that has led them to understand what the class is pondering over. In many cases, the Gunners end up being comprised mainly of non traditional students but that is not always the case. There were a couple at my school who were straight from undergrad. Think of the suck-ups in undergrad and the like, and you'll be able to find the gunners. Point is, they will be easy to pick out and if you can't figure out who they are..........then one of them is you.

Alright I'm starting to get the picture.

Like the blowhards who try to steer every discussion to their own political/social views just so they can spout off THE SAME CRAP EVERY CLASS.....

Clever username

Postby Clever username » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:20 pm

What would happen is someone else in the class said something to a gunner when they going off on one of their tangents, even just something like, "Oh, would you please stop"?

BradyToMoss

Postby BradyToMoss » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:20 pm

Listen, here's the thing: If you can't spot the gunner in your first 15 minutes at the class, then you ARE the gunner.

BradyToMoss

Postby BradyToMoss » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:23 pm

On a more serious note, Gunner bingo is a great idea, I'm gonna see who wants to play at USC. I think gunner's can easily be defeated, they clearly just seek the approval of their peers and/or professors. When someone starts acting like a gunner people just need to start coughing *douchebag* and other insults. Should get them to shut their dumb mouths and let the guy with a phd and top5 degree to explain the law.

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:24 pm

SenatorDoherty wrote:Listen, here's the thing: If you can't spot the gunner in your first 15 minutes at the class, then you ARE the gunner.

Yeah, that was the dumb line uttered by that Harvard 1L in the gunner video on YouTube. He's a douchebag, and so is every other person who seriously suggests the above.

mumbling2myself

Postby mumbling2myself » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:24 pm

Clever username wrote:What would happen is someone else in the class said something to a gunner when they going off on one of their tangents, even just something like, "Oh, would you please stop"?

This happens. Often it's the prof. who will step up and say it.

The same gunner I was talking about before, was arguing with another prof (pretty much the expert on civil procedure) for about 5 minutes, until he finally said, "Ok, I see your point." Everyone was stunned by this novel turn of events for a few seconds, then the gunner started to add, "but..."

Prof: "STOP! I want to remember you just the way you were!"

mumbling2myself

Postby mumbling2myself » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:25 pm

EmmyD wrote:
SenatorDoherty wrote:Listen, here's the thing: If you can't spot the gunner in your first 15 minutes at the class, then you ARE the gunner.

Yeah, that was the dumb line uttered by that Harvard 1L in the gunner video on YouTube. He's a douchebag, and so is every other person who seriously suggests the above.

Yeah, not really Emmy. If you can't pick out the (inevitable) annoying and inappropriate behaviors going on in your class, chances are you're one of the people who doesn't find them inappropriate or anooying.

They are called, "gunners."

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:26 pm

As a side note, I truly wonder how anyone can be so seriously oblivious to their own blowhardish tendencies.

orangeswarm

Postby orangeswarm » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:26 pm

EmmyD wrote:

Hmmm, I think I suggested the same.......guess I'm destined for douchebaggery. :?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”