Dress Code for Orientation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
EmmyD

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Postby EmmyD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:12 pm

MPaulE wrote:I hate those ice breaker things because I'm an introvert and they make me even more icy!

Credited.

But I've found a way to make myself more comfortable: I just say really ridiculous things.

Leader: Emmy, what did you do for the summer?
Emmy: I stripped part-time and dreamt Fermat's last theorem.

ari20dal7

Postby ari20dal7 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:20 pm

When I worked in the jock dorms, we did one where we had to say our name and make some sort of motion, then you remember everybody's name and motion, one of those deals.

I dropped an enormous thrust on them. Nobody ever forgot my name.

phillyphanatic

Postby phillyphanatic » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:11 pm

I was leading my group's freshman orientation and we had everyone tell us their name and a fact about themself. One girl's name was Lina and her fact was: My name backwards spells "anil". Brought the house down. Humor is definitely the way to go. Coincidentally (since I'm on TLS), this girl went on to YLS.

joonbug

Postby joonbug » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:19 pm

What?

You are telling me that I can't dress up like this?

--ImageRemoved--

(The second one from the right).

Don't tell me what I can or can't do.

brianwithani

Postby brianwithani » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:37 pm

Emmy D, You're my TLS muse...Fermat's Enigma is one of my favorite books.

I'll be avoiding "douchtastic gunner status" and going with shorts and a t shirt the first three days. According to the schedule, a suit will be required for the last day's activities...south Georgia, in August, in a suit...gotta love it.

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:02 am

What did you wear to class in undergrad when you weren't hung over? What will you be wearing to class in law school? That is about right.
I think I just wore jeans and a t-shirt or a polo.

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:05 am

MPaulE wrote:I hate those ice breaker things because I'm an introvert and they make me even more icy!

everyone is feeling the exact same was as you. Most people even have the same answer to "So why did you want to go to law school!" It's either "starving sucks" or "my dad/mom/uncle." My answer was "I dunno... med school just took too long."

If you want to make sure they are just as icy or icier than you, just say something to make them feel really uncomfortable like "I just got of quarantine. They couldn't say it was contagious with any certainty and therefore had to release me due to my constitutional rights. That's why I want to be a lawyer."

snowboarder2713

Postby snowboarder2713 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:09 am

T-shirt, sandals, and the always stylish plaid shorts (basically what I normally wear each day). Orientation starts at like freaking 830 or 9 in the morning. That's too early for me - before I actually start working - to really dress up in the morn.

south Georgia, in August, in a suit...gotta love it.

I'm putting the over/under around 40% for the amount of guys that will be wearing sear-sucker suits that day. Nice avatar btw.

edgarderby

Postby edgarderby » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:59 am

PKSebben wrote:Biz Caz is fine. Don't wear a suit.

You guys are freaking me out. ND said we had to dress "Business Professional."

As far as I always knew, Business Professional = Suit

Am I going to be a gunner douche when I show up in my suit? Or does Notre Dame just try to make everyone into a classy gentleman?

thespinstartshere

Postby thespinstartshere » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:02 am

If the school indicates that business professional is required, most certainly you should wear a suit. At a minimum, I would be sure to wear shirt, slacks and a tie. With a suit you would be safe either way though – if everyone else is in shirtsleeves, you can easily take off the jacket.

Postby 06072010 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:14 am

Business Professional.

This means suit. You can always take off the jacket and tie if you're overdressed it.

MPaulE

Postby MPaulE » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:40 pm

GodSpeed wrote:

everyone is feeling the exact same was as you. Most people even have the same answer to "So why did you want to go to law school!" It's either "starving sucks" or "my dad/mom/uncle." My answer was "I dunno... med school just took too long."

If you want to make sure they are just as icy or icier than you, just say something to make them feel really uncomfortable like "I just got of quarantine. They couldn't say it was contagious with any certainty and therefore had to release me due to my constitutional rights. That's why I want to be a lawyer."

I guess I used the wrong word, shy would have been more appropriate.

Introverts may be able to makes jokes and be comfortable, but when one is extremely shy, or has some manifestations of a social anxiety disorder, these ice breakers are like torture! Then again, however, being a lawyer is going to require a lot of social communication and these things might serve a purpose and help a shy person overcome the shyness.... Better late the never ! :)

dyermaker16

Postby dyermaker16 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:02 pm

-
Last edited by dyermaker16 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

lishi

Postby lishi » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:18 pm

Wake hasn't released any either. It's horrible to just sit and wait for everything. Especially which section we are.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:23 pm

dyermaker16 wrote:Is Fordham the only school that hasn't released orientation info?

Nope.
Nothing from Pitt yet.

RTR10

Postby RTR10 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:47 pm

snowboarder2713 wrote:T-shirt, sandals, and the always LOSER-TASTIC plaid shorts (basically what I normally wear each day).

Fixed that for you.

hwmyones

Postby hwmyones » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:08 pm

lishi wrote:Wake hasn't released any either. It's horrible to just sit and wait for everything. Especially which section we are.

Dammit I should've stayed in NC and gone to Wake! Ha
WUSTL released a schedule, but they didn't really give guidelines.
I'm thinking a polo and khaki shorts though. Worst comes to worst, if I feel underdressed I'll tuck it in :-P

ari20dal7

Postby ari20dal7 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:48 pm

UCLA hasn't put anything out yet. I don't expect formal attire - it's Cali.

dude

Postby dude » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:54 pm

It better be casual at Cardozo...

boco0302

Postby boco0302 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:06 pm

Well... I'm personally planning on smearing myself with feces. Not too much, just a light coating.

Oh, and a coat!

dude

Postby dude » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:19 pm

lol...

lishi

Postby lishi » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:07 am

hwmyones wrote:
lishi wrote:Wake hasn't released any either. It's horrible to just sit and wait for everything. Especially which section we are.

Dammit I should've stayed in NC and gone to Wake! Ha

Yup yup Wake is the place is to be next year!!

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Are you guys fucking serious? Icebreakers?

waytofailself

Postby waytofailself » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:31 pm

underdawg wrote:Are you guys fucking serious? Icebreakers?

If they do that I wouldn't freak out about it too much. Seriously, is it going to matter that much? Are people going to be wondering about your canoeing in upstate New York come exam time?

Lemme back up for a second. I have a very sadistic pleasure from ice breakers, and a lot of that stems from forcing them upon students when I taught high school theatre (and to a lesser extent, high school English). You're going to get two large groups of students: those who try and look way too cool to participate because they're uncomfortable and those who get petrified in front of people and lie or do stupid things because they think they're boring and want to seem interesting.

When done well, they can be a really good way to create a positive (maybe even fun?!?!) environment...but my usual experience (pardon my post teaching cynicism here) is that there are too many people who think they're above icebreakers or feel they have to out do everyone else that they just end up creating tension.

Of course...this tension is useful. You learn who your leaders are. You learn who your followers are. But is it really a big deal? Well, if you're told to pass an orange from mouth to mouth and you're allergic to oranges and the person who's passing it to you has herpes...

JusAbstinendi

Postby JusAbstinendi » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:12 pm

thespinstartshere wrote:I once was burned with a M&M variation of that game. The group leader passed around a bowl of M&Ms in an innocent manner, as if it were simply a nice gesture. Once the bowl made it all around the table, she informed us that we had to share one unique personal attribute for each M&M we had taken. Of course I had a handful.

I would have shoved them all in my mouth and said, "I'm choosing the everyday usage of 'unique'. Gluttony."

But is it really a big deal? Well, if you're told to pass an orange from mouth to mouth and you're allergic to oranges and the person who's passing it to you has herpes...

But does her beauty make it worth the risk? Then it's a real tough call.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”