Dress Code for Orientation Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MademoisELLE

New

Dress Code for Orientation

Post by MademoisELLE » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:54 pm

Orientation is coming very soon to most of us and my school has not specifically sent details regarding dress code, so did everyone wear or what is everyone wearing???

(yes I know this is kind of a superficial question) :oops:

Silver

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by 06072010 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:56 pm

Biz Caz is fine. Don't wear a suit.

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:58 pm

Wait.. we really have to wear biz caz for orientation!!? I was just going to do a denim mini and t-shirt.

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:58 pm

You are right, it is a superficial question (and a superficial question that many people will be asking themselves). First impressions can be serious business.

I think the answer to your question lies in another question: what would you normally wear to class? Unless your orientation involves some kind of formal dinner (and I have no idea if anyone's does or not), I would imagine that would require some kind of defined dress code. Otherwise, normal clothes/dressing for comfort should be your ticket (unless normal/dressing for comfort is nothing at all).

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:03 pm

If you are not wearing a body paint tuxedo you are wrong, tuxedo t-shirt, half wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MademoisELLE

New

Post by MademoisELLE » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:18 pm

I was thinking of wearing a blouse with jeans, but when i told others about my plan (i have to think ahead since i'm sending all of my clothes in moving boxes that with my luck may not arrive on time) but people were saying that was too casual, i don't think it is... but then again maybe my senior prom dress would be a good choice! j/K!

phillyphanatic

New

Post by phillyphanatic » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:33 pm

I'm definitely going casual. We have a formal dinner the first night. They didn't tell us a dress code but I'm going with a blazer and slacks. For the actual orientation, I'm probably going to roll in with cargo shorts, a polo shirt, and sneakers. When it's in the 90's and humid, I'll leave the dressing up to others.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:40 pm

Skeptical2L

New

Post by Skeptical2L » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:42 pm

Only the crazies wore suits to ours. Like Corsair says, no need to impress. You're already admitted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seagull48

New

Post by seagull48 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:45 pm

During most of the orientation at NU last fall, it was 85+ and very humid. Most people were in shorts and t-shirts. You don't need to impress anyone.
same at mich. i wore jeans and a t-shirt. i did not feel out of place.

NakaNaka

New

Post by NakaNaka » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Hot August weather? T-shirt and shorts thank you. I'll dress decent if there's a nice dinner or function to attend, otherwise casual all the way.

phillyphanatic

New

Post by phillyphanatic » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:52 pm

Skeptical2L wrote:Only the crazies wore suits to ours. Like Corsair says, no need to impress. You're already admitted.

People actually wore suits?!

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:00 pm

I can't remember if anyone wore a suit to ours, but I remember most people dressed fairly casual, mainly shorts and polo style shirts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mberg42

New

Post by mberg42 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:54 pm

You guys are crazy, I'll be sporting a fresh polo, khaki shorts and some forum lows. Just like I would normally. There is no need to get super dressed up, it only makes you look like a douche. Its more about how you handle yourself and the physical attributes that clothes cant hide(that means you ugly people).

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:29 pm

Well I was planning on wearing a summery dress for my first day of orientation. Not fancy but nice.

..but now I can't go to orientation, so everyone will have friends before I do :(

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:30 pm

*cue obligatory question and false curiosity*

Why, lishi, oh why can you not attend orientation?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:34 pm

I didn't secretly want people to ask what I was doing. I was just saying it because I'm actually really sad that I can't make it to the first day of orientation. I want to get my packet when everyone else does, and meet people while everyone is socializing, and play those horrid ice breaker games lol.

It was more me expressing my jealousy of you for attending in the outfit you planned.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:36 pm

Sorry, I just got into a small altercation with a friend IRL. a little miffed/offended.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:47 pm

Oh don't apologize. Looking back I can see how it can be interpreted that way. Good luck with your friend!!

thespinstartshere

New

Post by thespinstartshere » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:52 pm

Please tell me that those horrendous ice breaker games are not part of law school orientation.

As for dress: three piece suit with wingtips - I do not want there to be any question as to my douchtastic gunner status.

dude

New

Post by dude » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:53 pm

lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:54 pm

lol you mean you don't like the games where they ask you "If you could be any flavor jellybean, which would you be and why??" :D

thespinstartshere

New

Post by thespinstartshere » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:59 pm

I once was burned with a M&M variation of that game. The group leader passed around a bowl of M&Ms in an innocent manner, as if it were simply a nice gesture. Once the bowl made it all around the table, she informed us that we had to share one unique personal attribute for each M&M we had taken. Of course I had a handful.

MademoisELLE

New

Post by MademoisELLE » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:59 pm

well... i hate ice breakers thanks for freaking me out! i had enough of those as an orientation leader for freshman at my university...

btw when i went to admitted day some girl i sat next to was wearing a suit! and i was wearing jeans and really huge earring (very kim kardashian) and the dean commented on my earrings! i was sooooooo embarrassed and of course evil suit girl snickered the ENTIRE time!

MPaulE

New

Post by MPaulE » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:08 pm

I hate those ice breaker things because I'm an introvert and they make me even more icy!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”