How do I get good 1L grades?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SwollenMonkey

Re: How do I get good 1L grades?

Postby SwollenMonkey » Mon May 10, 2010 10:43 pm

LOL!

I see what you did here.

DNA1984

Postby DNA1984 » Fri May 14, 2010 4:26 am

The problem is, if you're classes are curved, it doesn't matter how well YOU do, it matters how well/not so well everyone else does. It's a sad way to think about it, but it's the nature of the curve.
To answer your question: I've seen people that study their asses that fall in the median and I've seen people who don't outlines and hardly ever read make it to the top of the class.

I'm at the top 15% (after my first semester, but that is likely going to drop dramatically, haha) and my first semester I read cases (never briefed) only did an outline for a class with a brand new professor so there weren't any outlines - I had really good outlines from my other professors. I spent a few hours every other weekend or so trying to consistently review. I feel that helped me out a lot last semester and it's probably why I feel I didn't perform as well this semester.

All in all, it's a crap shoot... some people are just naturally better at spotting issues, some are really good at retaining a ton of information, and some, no matter how much time/effort they put in, they won't make it to the top of the class. I put in everything I had my first semester and still wasn't able to get higher than 15%. A couple of friends did less work than me and were ranked higher. Once again, a crap shoot.

Postby 06132010 » Fri May 14, 2010 4:28 am

write well.

troubledjack

Re:

Postby troubledjack » Sat May 22, 2010 8:25 pm

How do I get good 1L grades?

Get in your prof's head. Every prof expects different things on a law school exam. Some want you to fully explain your reasoning, others care more about how many issues you spot. Try to get your hands on a model answer then practice following that format. If a model answer doesn't exist then go to your prof's office hrs and ask them what they expect.

Don't rely on supplements. Paying attention in class is way more important. Use supplements to review a topic or if you're confused. You aren't taking Contracts....you are taking Contracts by prof X. Every prof emphasizes different topics and some of these topics won't be covered in the supplement.

Read the cases but don't waste too much time briefing. It's more important to get a gist of the case and figure out why it was included in the book.

A'nold

Re: Re:

Postby A'nold » Sat May 22, 2010 8:43 pm

troubledjack wrote:How do I get good 1L grades?

Get in your prof's head. Every prof expects different things on a law school exam. Some want you to fully explain your reasoning, others care more about how many issues you spot. Try to get your hands on a model answer then practice following that format. If a model answer doesn't exist then go to your prof's office hrs and ask them what they expect.

Don't rely on supplements. Paying attention in class is way more important. Use supplements to review a topic or if you're confused. You aren't taking Contracts....you are taking Contracts by prof X. Every prof emphasizes different topics and some of these topics won't be covered in the supplement.

Read the cases but don't waste too much time briefing. It's more important to get a gist of the case and figure out why it was included in the book.

100% credited.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat May 22, 2010 10:16 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:write well.

Boo!

Hi Boo.

nickwar

Postby nickwar » Fri May 28, 2010 1:07 pm

I got a Voodoo doll that seemed to do it for me. I recommend you try that.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Get good at taking exams. I did well and I know that I did not know the material nearly as well as people who I did better than. I'm just really comfortable with exams thanks to the British secondary education system where exams always count for everything.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”