Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I drop out now?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:45 pm 

Serious question

I'm a 1L at a low T14, and exams were a complete disaster. I know I missed major issues, and on a 4 hour exam I wrote a total of 1400 words and was unable to even start one of the four problems on the test (equally weighted). Other exams went almost as badly.

Long story short, I worked pretty hard but ended up choking each time. No excuses really. I don't know what to do. I feel like I should cut my losses now instead of sticking around, paying another term of tuition and subjecting myself to more failure. (I am on a ~1/2 scholly fwiw.)

The problem is that I don't have other options. I was an economics major which I suppose is a marginally useful degree, but any utility I could have squeezed from it is gone by this point. I spent two years unemployed and one year working retail after graduating from college, so not exactly the most stellar resume. To be honest, I went to law school because I've always been a good standardized test taker and did well on the LSAT. Unfortunately that didn't carry over to law school exams.

Tl;dr definitely bottom-5%-ed finals, terrible resume, no other options, please advise.

Post subject: Re: Should I drop out now?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:49 pm 

well don't drop out before you get grades that's silly. even if you have to start the semester w/o grades you can usually get a prorated refund

Post subject: Re: Should I drop out now?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:24 pm 

fats provolone wrote:
well don't drop out before you get grades that's silly. even if you have to start the semester w/o grades you can usually get a prorated refund

Qwoo, I second fats. Don't drop out before you at least have your grades back. In case you don't get your grades back until after the start of next semester, look at the refund policy at your school.

If you do decide to drop out, don't think that your UG degree will pigeonhole you. I studied political science and ended up in accounting. I left college at 22 and worked retail for 5 years before finally graduating at 27. I started at my current employer three years ago making $52k and now make $65k. I have an 8-4 government job with excellent benefits, 5 weeks off per year (plus holidays), and no weekends. It's by no means a models and bottles lifestyle, and it might not be a job that a lot of people on here would aspire to, but it pays the bills and affords me certain luxuries and a decent standard of living. Even if law school happens not to be your thing, it's not the end of the world, and all's not lost. For now, you need to relax and enjoy your break. Seriously. What's done is done, and there's no use getting worked up over something you can't fix.