Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:47 pm

If you had a CB with a firm and were told that you'd hear from them within 2 weeks but you haven't heard from them yet, is it better to call or email the firm? Also, would the recruiting director be the best person to contact over one of your interviewers at the CB?

As far as what you would say in the email or over the phone, would it be generally along the lines of: "Hey recruiting director dude, this is Joe Law Student from X Law School, I'm just giving you a call to check in with you cause you mentioned after my CB that I'd hear from you within 2 weeks but i haven't hear back yet... If the hiring committee is still in the process of deciding, I just want to reiterate once again that I think your firm is awesome and I would really like to work there?"

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:55 pm

that sounds pretty good to me.

i've been doing the same thing, though not with much luck yet

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:48 pm

was literally about to post asking this same question

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 7810
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby thesealocust » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you had a CB with a firm and were told that you'd hear from them within 2 weeks but you haven't heard from them yet, is it better to call or email the firm?


None of the above. The firm did not forget about you, and your continued interest is irrelevant to their decision process. It's an anxious thing to be waiting on them, but when they give you a time frame it's a best estimate - decision makers get busy, meetings get delayed, etc. But I repeat: they did not forget about you.

The only exception is if you have another offer that is in danger of expiring. In that case, it is not just acceptable, it's important that you call and let the firm know you are still interested but are running out of time and would like to inquire about your candidacy. Following up under other circumstances is just going to annoy them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:49 pm

what if the recruiter encouraged you to email or call if you haven't heard because they see it as showing interest over those who haven't checked in. This happened to me while I was at a call back

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:51 pm

To the above, was that a larger firm or a firm with a smaller class size?

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:09 pm

Don't say anything. Unless, as mentioned, you have another offer that is about to expire. Think about it rationally... the firm knows you interviewed, has the reviews from your interviews, and are in some process of making a decision. Reminding them will not benefit your candidacy, IMO

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the above, was that a larger firm or a firm with a smaller class size?


Big law firm in regional market, SA size is usually 10-15

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Why not contacting the firm? What is the harm?

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 6227
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:06 pm

It's pointless.

Winter is Coming
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Don't check in, with the exception of another expiring offer and you really need to know.

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:18 pm

OP here. I think the hope from people like myself is that if we happen to be on the firm's radar but the hiring committee is still deliberating between several other candidates and they themselves do not have the luxury to extend a crap ton of offers, then, by our call or email, we would be able to show the committee that we are very interested in the firm and reaffirm that it is our top choice.

That being said...

I figure that rather than being that guy who contacts the firm literally the day of the 2nd week post CB, I'll wait at least a few days into next week before I start thinking of reaching out or not.

Thank you every one for your feedback.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 7810
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby thesealocust » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I think the hope from people like myself is that if we happen to be on the firm's radar but the hiring committee is still deliberating between several other candidates and they themselves do not have the luxury to extend a crap ton of offers, then, by our call or email, we would be able to show the committee that we are very interested in the firm and reaffirm that it is our top choice.


This isn't law school admissions. Your burning desire to work for the firm is assumed. That's why you applied and that's what the money is for.

Winter is Coming
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I think the hope from people like myself is that if we happen to be on the firm's radar but the hiring committee is still deliberating between several other candidates and they themselves do not have the luxury to extend a crap ton of offers, then, by our call or email, we would be able to show the committee that we are very interested in the firm and reaffirm that it is our top choice.


This isn't law school admissions. Your burning desire to work for the firm is assumed. That's why you applied and that's what the money is for.

BigZuck
Posts: 8727
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby BigZuck » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:59 pm

I had an expiring-ish offer (like a week and a half before I had to accept) and went ahead and fired off an email to the recruiting person at my top choice firm reaffirming my interest in the firm, that they were my top choice, and that I would accept if offered. Got an offer call from the hiring partner about 2 hours later.

Don't bother. Given what I know now I was probably going to get that call at that time anyway, nothing I did changed anything IMO. It definitely didn't make me go from a ding to an offer. Maaaaaaayyyyyyybe I got the offer a little sooner than I would have but whatever. Everything related to law school is one big test of your ability to wait and be patient, might as well hone those skillz whenever possible. Learn how to wait like a lawyer and whatnot.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 1842
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby rpupkin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you had a CB with a firm and were told that you'd hear from them within 2 weeks but you haven't heard from them yet, is it better to call or email the firm? Also, would the recruiting director be the best person to contact over one of your interviewers at the CB?

I agree with the consensus in this thread: it's pointless to check in unless you have an offer that will soon expire. But if you really just can't help yourself, definitely email the recruiter and not one of your interviewers.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 1842
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby rpupkin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:15 pm

True story: At my previous firm, we'd basically rank call back candidates and make offers on a rolling basis. This effectively created an admit/waitlist/deny situation. If we didn't like you, we'd ding you right away. If we liked you, we would extend an offer as soon as possible. But if we just sorta liked you, we would put you on hold. If we weren't getting acceptances at the rate we anticipated early in the cycle, we might make a couple of offers to candidates on the hold list.

One time, we got an email from a guy on the hold list, who told us that we were his top choice but that he would take another offer by the end of the week. We weren't ready to dip into our hold list yet, so we told him that, sorry, we weren't going to make an offer by Friday. Two days later, he emails to tell us that his other offer "fell though" and that he remained interested in our firm.

We dinged him right after that. We actually did end up dipping into our hold list the following week. If he had just shut up and not contrived an excuse to press us, we might have actually made him an offer.

TL;DR: These communications are not risk-free. Do not represent that you intend to take a pending offer from another firm unless you really mean it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:31 pm

rpupkin wrote:True story: At my previous firm, we'd basically rank call back candidates and make offers on a rolling basis. This effectively created an admit/waitlist/deny situation. If we didn't like you, we'd ding you right away. If we liked you, we would extend an offer as soon as possible. But if we just sorta liked you, we would put you on hold. If we weren't getting acceptances at the rate we anticipated early in the cycle, we might make a couple of offers to candidates on the hold list.

One time, we got an email from a guy on the hold list, who told us that we were his top choice but that he would take another offer by the end of the week. We weren't ready to dip into our hold list yet, so we told him that, sorry, we weren't going to make an offer by Friday. Two days later, he emails to tell us that his other offer "fell though" and that he remained interested in our firm.

We dinged him right after that. We actually did end up dipping into our hold list the following week. If he had just shut up and not contrived an excuse to press us, we might have actually made him an offer.

TL;DR: These communications are not risk-free. Do not represent that you intend to take a pending offer from another firm unless you really mean it.


In your experience, how large are these hold lists? Is a massive pile of people? It's been about 3 weeks since my screener in a secondary market and I know these firms send dings right away.

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:56 pm

completely disagree with everyone here.... lower T14 and i followed up after 2 weeks with about 5 firms that had been silent. got 2 callbacks out of it almost immediately.

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:56 pm

Above post: I think the size of the pile is directly correlated with the size of the summer class. Larger the class--> more call backs --> bigger pile.

Another thing to consider at this stage in the game: There is a lot of self-selection happening, i.e. people choosing another firm and hopefully letting the firm they arent accepting that they are going else where.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 1842
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby rpupkin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:completely disagree with everyone here.... lower T14 and i followed up after 2 weeks with about 5 firms that had been silent. got 2 callbacks out of it almost immediately.

I suggest re-reading the thread, anon. We're all addressing the OP's situation, which is different than yours.

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:07 pm

New anon, but similar situation + 1: it's been ~2 weeks since my CB at firm 1 (no word, but others have heard back, so I'm hoping it's a hold) and I have an offer expiring in just over a week. There's also firm 2, which has dinged people, but no word of CBs yet.

1) Should I go ahead and email the recruiting contact at firm 1 (reaffirming interest, but expiring offer)?

2) Should I email the recruiting contact from firm 2? I obviously haven't had contact with them at this point, but I expect they'd be the one to email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:22 am

OP here. Not sure about what to do with firm 2, but as far as firm 1, the general consensus based on the above posts seems to be to reach out to the firm and let them know about your expiring offer with firm 1.

If you don't mind me asking though, is this currently the only offer you have? If so, is it an offer that you would end up taking before it expires in the coming week? I only ask because I know a lot of people who went through screeners and CBs with firms and even received offers from such firms but have zero desire to work at these places and are just racking up offers as some type of pat-on-the-back reward for all of their "efforts" during 1L and OCI...if this is the case for you as well, maybe it'd be good to not let the firm you're waiting on know about your expiring offer with firm 1 because there can be, as the above posters have mentioned, negative repercussions from hurrying firms to make decisions? Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous User
Posts: 230734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with firm 2 weeks after CB, phone or email?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:24 am

Thanks for the input, OP. It is an offer that I am strongly considering accepting regardless of the remaining communications from 1 & 2. My only concern is that I really enjoyed the environment at firm 1 and they are in two very different markets (offer in secondary, CB in NYC), which would likely dictate the type of corporate work I would do (despite no strong preference at this time).

Re: firm 2, I haven't had a ton of exposure to the people there, so I don't know where it would fall in relation to the other two firms.




Return to “Legal Employment”