How much travel in biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How much travel in biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:09 pm

Going to a v50 firm doing primarily corporate work. I start next fall. I'm not sure why I didn't think to ask this as an SA, but how often do people travel in BigLaw, specifically in M&A?

Anonymous User

Re: How much travel in biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Not much travel in corporate for juniors. Technology has taken care of most of that so you'll just have a lot of conference calls. There can be quite a bit of travel in litigation if your firm does a lot of discovery and trial work, because depositions, scheduling conferences, sealed filings, and investigations/client interviews just to name a few all still largely require in-person attendance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:20 pm

Barely any travel in M&A unless you work for a unicorn client who still flies people out for closings.

Litigation can travel quite a bit, especially white collar and other investigation practices. I know several friends in the associate ranks with mid-tier elite status on AA/United. Some partners are Global Services/Concierge Key but that's mostly white collar international travelers who make 10 round trips a year in business class to Asia. Garden variety litigation you'd be stuck hopping around domestically in seat 26E.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:00 pm

White collar people at my firm pretty much live at the airport.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:46 pm

Very little travel. My only travel in 3.5 years can be summed up as follows: (i) I had to travel out of state twice to do in-person diligence for a couple of cap markets deals (clients were sensitive to providing certain materials in data room) and (ii) I had to go to a printer out of state to do two full days of S1 page flips for an IPO :cry:

Toni V

Postby Toni V » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:19 am

JA lateral in mid ‘16. 4 Trips, 1 on a case and 3 seminars (1 seminar scheduled for March ’17). So far all in the USA. Partners and several senior associates travel extensively.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:00 pm

Extensive travel tends to be the exception rather than the rule. Clients don't want to pay. But litigators have more reasons for in-person attendance and are more likely to travel.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not much travel in corporate for juniors. Technology has taken care of most of that so you'll just have a lot of conference calls.

This

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:52 pm

Do associates fly business class or coach?

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:08 pm

anon sequitur wrote:Do associates fly business class or coach?

Does business class even exist anymore?

Toni V

Postby Toni V » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:16 pm

Business plus. Actually, not certain, I remember it is [something] PLUS. Not first class but not economy either. Also, if you fly a fair amount, secure a credit card offering VIP lounge privileges.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:33 pm

Toni V wrote:

Business plus. Actually, not certain, I remember it is [something] PLUS. Not first class but not economy either. Also, if you fly a fair amount, secure a credit card offering VIP lounge privileges.

Probably referring to something like "Comfort +," which is Delta's middle offering. It's the first few rows within the coach cabin, but there's some extra legroom and you get free unlimited drinks/snacks and priority "Sky" boarding before everyone else in coach, but after first class.

patentlitigatrix

Postby patentlitigatrix » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:42 pm

I travel a good bit. Usually around 50-75k miles a year, but had a couple years where I went over 100k. And yes, litigators do seem to travel more.

My firm's rule is economy for domestic and business class for international over some number of hours. My first year, I paid to be in Economy Plus because my knees are up jammed up against the seat back. After that, I had status so I get E+ for free. Often get upgraded to first and the firm obviously doesn't care.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:48 pm

3rd year who does a mix of litigation and white collar. I racked up about 150k qualifying miles on Star Alliance carriers last year. I have Premier 1K and several other 2nd/3rd years at my firm who do a lot of white collar have Global Services.

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:53 pm

patentlitigatrix wrote:I travel a good bit. Usually around 50-75k miles a year, but had a couple years where I went over 100k. And yes, litigators do seem to travel more.

My firm's rule is economy for domestic and business class for international over some number of hours. My first year, I paid to be in Economy Plus because my knees are up jammed up against the seat back. After that, I had status so I get E+ for free. Often get upgraded to first and the firm obviously doesn't care.

as a fairly tall person, my knees too are jammed up against the seat back. did you ask your firm to fly you economy plus and they said no?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:57 pm

It depends IME. If you are flying alone usually no. If you are flying with a partner who is flying first class, and the client is paying for it (i.e., partner didn't upgrade him or herself), the associate may fly first class/business.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patentlitigatrix

Postby patentlitigatrix » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:57 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
patentlitigatrix wrote:I travel a good bit. Usually around 50-75k miles a year, but had a couple years where I went over 100k. And yes, litigators do seem to travel more.

as a fairly tall person, my knees too are jammed up against the seat back. did you ask your firm to fly you economy plus and they said no?

I didn't ask because I was a first year at the time, but in hindsight I should have and I am confident they would said yes.

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:04 pm

patentlitigatrix wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:

I didn't ask because I was a first year at the time, but in hindsight I should have and I am confident they would said yes.

oh excellent, that's what I did at my consulting gig, so I'll do the same ... if I ever get to fly somewhere!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:05 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

It depends IME. If you are flying alone usually no. If you are flying with a partner who is flying first class, and the client is paying for it (i.e., partner didn't upgrade him or herself), the associate may fly first class/business.

haven't you been at a firm for maybe 12 weeks?

HonestAdvice

Postby HonestAdvice » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:41 pm

How does billable time work when you travel?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:55 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:How does billable time work when you travel?

Travel time is generally billable. Depends on client.

HonestAdvice

Postby HonestAdvice » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:05 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:How does billable time work when you travel?

Travel time is generally billable. Depends on client.

What falls under travel time though? Packing/unpacking, check in at the hotel, etc.?

Return to “Legal Employment”