Top-Law-Schools.comTLS
Home
Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums
 
Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm
Posts: 806
Unfortunately I was very disappointed in my 1st semester grades as I really wanted top third at minimum. The curve at my school is set at 2.8 and I have a 2.95 right now. I go to a TTT that places well in the local semi large metro area. What options do I have now in terms of employment? I imagine Big Law is probably not happening and I don't mind that so much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm
Posts: 2293
Young Marino wrote:
Unfortunately I was very disappointed in my 1st semester grades as I really wanted top third at minimum. The curve at my school is set at 2.8 and I have a 2.95 right now. I go to a TTT that places well in the local semi large metro area. What options do I have now in terms of employment? I imagine Big Law is probably not happening and I don't mind that so much.


Does it even matter? Big Law was never going to happen from Nova, but don't you basically have a guaranteed job with the DAs office?

If you still have a job waiting for you and you want to be an ADA, you're good provided you're not accumulating a lot of debt. If you don't have that job/don't want to be a DA, well...yeah.


Last edited by TheSpanishMain on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm
Posts: 806
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
Unfortunately I was very disappointed in my 1st semester grades as I really wanted top third at minimum. The curve at my school is set at 2.8 and I have a 2.95 right now. I go to a TTT that places well in the local semi large metro area. What options do I have now in terms of employment? I imagine Big Law is probably not happening and I don't mind that so much.


Does it even matter? Big Law was never going to happen, but don't you basically have a guaranteed job with the DAs office?

I mean yeah but I don't want to just bank on that. A friend of mine who is an ADA was telling me how tough it is to land a job there right now. They've been in a hiring freeze for the past year and don't know when they'll get out of it so I don't really want to put all my eggs in one basket. I am going back there this summer though and plan to do my clinical work there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm
Posts: 591
Wow. Grades already?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am
Posts: 1677
For what it is worth, a lot of schools will have a fairly tight grouping near the middle of the curve, beating it by .15 sounds better than just above to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:22 am
Posts: 91
Work harder from here on out. I finished my first semester at top-40%, graduated top-20%. Had to cold call a ton of firms to get a 2L SA with a mid-size firm. Ended up at a well-respected lit boutique. I found that a lot of people work less hard as law school goes by. If you do the opposite, you can really move up in class rank.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm
Posts: 800
logdog wrote:
Work harder from here on out. I finished my first semester at top-40%, graduated top-20%. Had to cold call a ton of firms to get a 2L SA with a mid-size firm. Ended up at a well-respected lit boutique. I found that a lot of people work less hard as law school goes by. If you do the opposite, you can really move up in class rank.


He's at a TTT, and he's barely above median. Unfortunately, there's no reason to think he'll pull his boostraps up higher than the rest of his classmates.

OP, if you don't have a guaranteed job and your taking on debt, I would seriously consider whether you absolutely must be lawyer. Don't pave an necessarily hard road for yourself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm
Posts: 1054
What is your undergrad major? You could start applying now for all non-legal jobs you are competitive for. You might get some bites and if you get anything you could drop out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:53 pm
Posts: 92
pancakes3 wrote:
Wow. Grades already?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 2761
Location: You belong with me&e.
butlerraider1 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
Wow. Grades already?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:06 pm
Posts: 209
Young Marino wrote:
Unfortunately I was very disappointed in my 1st semester grades as I really wanted top third at minimum. The curve at my school is set at 2.8 and I have a 2.95 right now. I go to a TTT that places well in the local semi large metro area. What options do I have now in terms of employment? I imagine Big Law is probably not happening and I don't mind that so much.


We told you to retake. But nooooooo. You were a special snowflake who was going to finish #1 in your class, beat the odds and eat ice cream with Obama.

Let this be a cautionary tale to the lurkers out there. Don't go to a TTT NO MATTER WHAT. You're not nearly as intelligent or special as you think you are, if you were, you'd have much better options than a TTT.


Last edited by Sheriff on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:14 pm 
Offline
TLS Poet Laureate
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am
Posts: 20585
ManoftheHour wrote:
butlerraider1 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
Wow. Grades already?

A lot of people taking the bait, unsurprisingly


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:24 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm
Posts: 2754
Location: muder was the case that they gave me
ljl @ a real person coming back to say gosh tls you were right i shouldn't have planned on being at the top of my class


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm
Posts: 378
Location: Ron Don Volante's Playpen "Home of the $2 Lap Dance"
Seems like you need a pep talk YM; need to get back to your old self and get that chip back on your shoulder. What happened to this guy?
It's back. The determination and will that was flowing through my veins during moments of writing my University wide 1st place senior thesis, and working my government internships. Perhaps the strongest feeling of motivation that I've only felt a few times is back. A strengthen sense of spirituality and knowing the auras of the universe guide me make it that much more intense. I am currently a 0L and will start LS in August. But it can't come soon enough. Right now I'm studying the game before I play it but when the lights turn on and the case books open, I'll be there reading cases and perfecting outlines, spotting that BLL like it's nobody's business. I look forward to these moments. Not just because I'm doing it for myself. My future kids, my girl of 5 years are depending on this. It's on my shoulders now and these are the kind of situations I love being in. Falling below top 25% is just not an option. I know the odds are against me and I am in no way trying to sound like a "special snowflake" but I can't wait to get in there. If there is any tips the TLS community can offer, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your insight in advance. RISE.

When people told you to retake, you told them no, you had serious justifications. Fight the power bro. Get your mojo back.
BigZuck wrote:
Retake or don't go to law school.

Well of course you'd say that Zuck. More than anything, I want to work in the public sector. ... If I do rack up say $100k-$135k in the process, I can still potentially take advantage of pslf/ibr or if I have to practice small-mid law and START (as wages tend to rise after the first few years of practice) at $50k-$70k It's still a manageable enough debt load to pay off in 6-8 years with financial discipline and my finance's (would be wife by then) income to help. Now I know things can change but I just don't see a reputable tier 1 that places amazingly in my desired market/field of practice a risky investment if I can keep my total debt load under $150k and it might not even hit six figures since my girl would take care of COL after my cash runs out so realistically I'm probably looking at the $60k-$80k range for total debt load. Not to mention the low COL in that part of the state. TLS is so pessimistic on schools outside t6 it's ridiculous

You have pwned the tls hivemind time after time. You made all the elitist prestige whores reassess their dogmas.
There are plenty of attorneys who have graduated with six figure debts and end up doing well. I know a few of them myself. I just don't think "retaking" is as great as a strategy as you guys say when it's been shown that in most cases, people who retake increase their score by 2-3 points on average. You can't possibly tell me 2-3 points more is worth sitting out yet another year. In some circumstances it may mean increased scholly $$$ but most of the time, students are stuck in the situation they were in prior to retaking. How many lives have you ruined by making people put their dreams on hold for 3 years so they can join you and the rest of the elitist prestige whores on this site? I'm here for the regional law student that doesn't need a "prestigious" degree.

Young Marino wrote:
Well, someone has to give these prospective regional law students some insight when retaking isn't an option. I call you prestige whores out and you respond by dedicating an entire page to bash me? That's cool I can live with that but not everyone needs that TLS "prestige" and you all should know that. OP is in a much better position than a lot of current law students I know and shouldn't have to deal with "retake, retake, retake" when he or she is asking about the comparison between two schools. You guys are ridiculous.

Young Marino viewtopic.php?f=2&t=221775 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
Will this type of work experience potientially lead to tier 1 admission with a mid 150s lsat/ 3.8 gpa?

Jesus. Now I understand why you say things like this when offering advice to other people:
Young Marino wrote:
I'm not as big on retaking the lsat as many on here but with you're gpa you can probably get into some reputable regionals and tier 3/4s with a full ride (U of DC perhaps?).

Young Marino wrote:
I'm not usually one to follow the typical TLS rhetoric of retake, retake, retake...

Don't be an idiot. Retake. But if you insist on being an idiot, at least stop advising other people to join you.

Sorry I'm not a typical TLS prestige whore?

When you told an endless stream of poor 0Ls not to retake and to go to crap schools at sticker, you saw the same drive and determination in them as you saw in yourself; you know they would beat the odds.
Young Marino viewtopic.php?f=1&t=230096 wrote:
CiaoTat wrote:
I have to decide by Monday where to go
Suffolk 60% scholarship
Touro 50% scholarship

They end up total cost about the same.
GPA: 3.7 LSAT 151 (that was best I could do...not for me to retake)

Main concentration: Public Interest and Immigration / Sex Trafficking

My current Pro and Cons are:
Pro:
Touro: Class size = big fish small pond. People are so welcoming and have non-profits and agencies located inside law school. LIRR to NYC
Suffolk: Already in the city, variety of clinical, pro bono opportunities directly in my concentration

Con:
Touro: More remote suburban area, less recognition as law school since its so new
Suffolk: Double class size, more competitive to stand out

Please let me know what your thoughts are. Greatly appreciate it!

Have you spoken to any alumni from each school or attorneys that practice in your desired market? It sounds like Touro is the right call here as their employment score on LST is higher than Suffolk and the employment isn't too bad compared to other schools in the Northeast. I wouldn't dive too deep into the TLS "retake" theory. If you are comfortable with your situation, that's all that matters but I think you should definitely reach out to a few attorneys in your desired market to get some advice. You also shouldn't bank on transferring because you're being graded on a curve so the odds are stacked against you to crack to 20% but Touro is the right call here

Young Marino to a 157/3.2 0L wrote:
I'd probably go to Seton Hall or 'cuse. Fuck a retake.

Young Marino wrote:
UM at sticker is not necessarily desirable but from speaking to a few recent grads and lawyers in the south florida market that didn't even attend UM, it's not as bad as people on here would have you think. UM is a very strong regional so if you're trying to stay in So. Fla it's really strong option and remember, there are programs out there that help with repayment such as IBR and PSLF 10 year forgiveness plan if you decide you want to go public sector. Not to mention, the South Florida market is starting to pick up although it's still in a fragile state. If you're c/o 2017/2018 you should have a much easier time finding employment in the region than a lost generation class of 2008-2011 grad. If you don't get top 10% and don't get biglaw, there are still ways to pay off your six figure debt.


You knew better than TLS. You know this is but a minor snag on your path to greatness. Just start reading your E&Es for next semester, and get it together. Now is the time. We all believe in you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:33 pm 
Offline
TLS Poet Laureate
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am
Posts: 20585
bjsesq wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
butlerraider1 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
Wow. Grades already?

A lot of people taking the bait, unsurprisingly


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm
Posts: 232
Ron Don Volante wrote:
Seems like you need a pep talk YM; need to get back to your old self and get that chip back on your shoulder. What happened to this guy?
Young Marino <a class="vglnk" href="http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=219818&p=7241138#p7241138&quot;]It's" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>top</span><span>-</span><span>law</span><span>-</span><span>schools</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>forums</span><span>/</span><span>viewtopic</span><span>.</span><span>php</span><span>?</span><span>f</span><span>=</span><span>2</span><span>&</span><span>t</span><span>=</span><span>219818</span><span>&</span><span>p</span><span>=</span><span>7241138</span><span>#</span><span>p7241138</span><span> wrote:
</span><span>It</span><span>'</span><span>s</span></a> back. The determination and will that was flowing through my veins during moments of writing my University wide 1st place senior thesis, and working my government internships. Perhaps the strongest feeling of motivation that I've only felt a few times is back. A strengthen sense of spirituality and knowing the auras of the universe guide me make it that much more intense. I am currently a 0L and will start LS in August. But it can't come soon enough. Right now I'm studying the game before I play it but when the lights turn on and the case books open, I'll be there reading cases and perfecting outlines, spotting that BLL like it's nobody's business. I look forward to these moments. Not just because I'm doing it for myself. My future kids, my girl of 5 years are depending on this. It's on my shoulders now and these are the kind of situations I love being in. Falling below top 25% is just not an option. I know the odds are against me and I am in no way trying to sound like a "special snowflake" but I can't wait to get in there. If there is any tips the TLS community can offer, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your insight in advance. RISE.

When people told you to retake, you told them no, you had serious justifications. Fight the power bro. Get your mojo back.
Young Marino <a class="vglnk" href="http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=222402&p=7372473#p7372473&quot;][quote=&quot;BigZuck&quot;]Retake" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>top</span><span>-</span><span>law</span><span>-</span><span>schools</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>forums</span><span>/</span><span>viewtopic</span><span>.</span><span>php</span><span>?</span><span>f</span><span>=</span><span>9</span><span>&</span><span>t</span><span>=</span><span>222402</span><span>&</span><span>p</span><span>=</span><span>7372473</span><span>#</span><span>p7372473</span><span> wrote:
[</span><span>quote</span><span>="</span><span>BigZuck</span><span>"]</span><span>Retake</span></a> or don't go to law school.

Well of course you'd say that Zuck. More than anything, I want to work in the public sector. ... If I do rack up say $100k-$135k in the process, I can still potentially take advantage of pslf/ibr or if I have to practice small-mid law and START (as wages tend to rise after the first few years of practice) at $50k-$70k It's still a manageable enough debt load to pay off in 6-8 years with financial discipline and my finance's (would be wife by then) income to help. Now I know things can change but I just don't see a reputable tier 1 that places amazingly in my desired market/field of practice a risky investment if I can keep my total debt load under $150k and it might not even hit six figures since my girl would take care of COL after my cash runs out so realistically I'm probably looking at the $60k-$80k range for total debt load. Not to mention the low COL in that part of the state. TLS is so pessimistic on schools outside t6 it's ridiculous

You have pwned the tls hivemind time after time. You made all the elitist prestige whores reassess their dogmas.
Young Marino <a class="vglnk" href="http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=230096&start=25&quot;]There" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>top</span><span>-</span><span>law</span><span>-</span><span>schools</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>forums</span><span>/</span><span>viewtopic</span><span>.</span><span>php</span><span>?</span><span>f</span><span>=</span><span>1</span><span>&</span><span>t</span><span>=</span><span>230096</span><span>&</span><span>start</span><span>=</span><span>25</span><span> wrote:
</span><span>There</span></a> are plenty of attorneys who have graduated with six figure debts and end up doing well. I know a few of them myself. I just don't think "retaking" is as great as a strategy as you guys say when it's been shown that in most cases, people who retake increase their score by 2-3 points on average. You can't possibly tell me 2-3 points more is worth sitting out yet another year. In some circumstances it may mean increased scholly $$$ but most of the time, students are stuck in the situation they were in prior to retaking. How many lives have you ruined by making people put their dreams on hold for 3 years so they can join you and the rest of the elitist prestige whores on this site? I'm here for the regional law student that doesn't need a "prestigious" degree.

Young Marino wrote:
Well, someone has to give these prospective regional law students some insight when retaking isn't an option. I call you prestige whores out and you respond by dedicating an entire page to bash me? That's cool I can live with that but not everyone needs that TLS "prestige" and you all should know that. OP is in a much better position than a lot of current law students I know and shouldn't have to deal with "retake, retake, retake" when he or she is asking about the comparison between two schools. You guys are ridiculous.

Young Marino <a class="vglnk" href="http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=221775&quot;][quote=&quot;Ti" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>top</span><span>-</span><span>law</span><span>-</span><span>schools</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>forums</span><span>/</span><span>viewtopic</span><span>.</span><span>php</span><span>?</span><span>f</span><span>=</span><span>2</span><span>&</span><span>t</span><span>=</span><span>221775</span><span> wrote:
[</span><span>quote</span><span>="</span><span>Ti</span></a> Malice"]
Young Marino wrote:
Will this type of work experience potientially lead to tier 1 admission with a mid 150s lsat/ 3.8 gpa?

Jesus. Now I understand why you say things like this when offering advice to other people:
Young Marino wrote:
I'm not as big on retaking the lsat as many on here but with you're gpa you can probably get into some reputable regionals and tier 3/4s with a full ride (U of DC perhaps?).

Young Marino wrote:
I'm not usually one to follow the typical TLS rhetoric of retake, retake, retake...

Don't be an idiot. Retake. But if you insist on being an idiot, at least stop advising other people to join you.

Sorry I'm not a typical TLS prestige whore?[/quote]
When you told an endless stream of poor 0Ls not to retake and to go to crap schools at sticker, you saw the same drive and determination in them as you saw in yourself; you know they would beat the odds.
Young Marino <a class="vglnk" href="http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=230096&quot;][quote=&quot;CiaoTat&quot;]I" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>top</span><span>-</span><span>law</span><span>-</span><span>schools</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>forums</span><span>/</span><span>viewtopic</span><span>.</span><span>php</span><span>?</span><span>f</span><span>=</span><span>1</span><span>&</span><span>t</span><span>=</span><span>230096</span><span> wrote:
[</span><span>quote</span><span>="</span><span>CiaoTat</span><span>"]</span><span>I</span></a> have to decide by Monday where to go
Suffolk 60% scholarship
Touro 50% scholarship

They end up total cost about the same.
GPA: 3.7 LSAT 151 (that was best I could do...not for me to retake)

Main concentration: Public Interest and Immigration / Sex Trafficking

My current Pro and Cons are:
Pro:
Touro: Class size = big fish small pond. People are so welcoming and have non-profits and agencies located inside law school. LIRR to NYC
Suffolk: Already in the city, variety of clinical, pro bono opportunities directly in my concentration

Con:
Touro: More remote suburban area, less recognition as law school since its so new
Suffolk: Double class size, more competitive to stand out

Please let me know what your thoughts are. Greatly appreciate it!

Have you spoken to any alumni from each school or attorneys that practice in your desired market? It sounds like Touro is the right call here as their employment score on LST is higher than Suffolk and the employment isn't too bad compared to other schools in the Northeast. I wouldn't dive too deep into the TLS "retake" theory. If you are comfortable with your situation, that's all that matters but I think you should definitely reach out to a few attorneys in your desired market to get some advice. You also shouldn't bank on transferring because you're being graded on a curve so the odds are stacked against you to crack to 20% but Touro is the right call here[/quote]
Young Marino to a 157/3.2 0L wrote:
I'd probably go to Seton Hall or 'cuse. Fuck a retake.

Young Marino wrote:
UM at sticker is not necessarily desirable but from speaking to a few recent grads and lawyers in the south florida market that didn't even attend UM, it's not as bad as people on here would have you think. UM is a very strong regional so if you're trying to stay in So. Fla it's really strong option and remember, there are programs out there that help with repayment such as IBR and PSLF 10 year forgiveness plan if you decide you want to go public sector. Not to mention, the South Florida market is starting to pick up although it's still in a fragile state. If you're c/o 2017/2018 you should have a much easier time finding employment in the region than a lost generation class of 2008-2011 grad. If you don't get top 10% and don't get biglaw, there are still ways to pay off your six figure debt.


You knew better than TLS. You know this is but a minor snag on your path to greatness. Just start reading your E&Es for next semester, and get it together. Now is the time. We all believe in you.[/quote]

Great post.

Also, "life" is not over.. you'll simply have with your decision for the rest of your life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:06 pm
Posts: 209
Not going to quote for the sake of space, but great post, Ron Don.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm
Posts: 2783
Sheriff wrote:
great post, Ron Don.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm
Posts: 1176
I realize that there is apparent history with OP's brazen, stubborn manner and TLS's "retake" mantra as well laid-out by Ron Don, and believe me, I am a lover of schadenfreude as much as anyone, especially when the exact harm warned of has come to pass.

But do you gotta kick a guy when he's down? Saying "I told you so" might be true and feel good, but this guy's future just took a boot to the teeth. He knows what he said before and he probably feels like shit. Now his post will be linked to and shown to pie-in-the-sky 0Ls for years to come as a real life warning.

Maybe I'm sympathetic because I was kind of this guy. I went to MSU (TTT when I began, I guess in Tier 2 now? Whatever). I had a middling LSAT, terrible undergrad GPA, and barely got in. I was so excited because this was the first promising thing I had going for me in a long time up to that point. I was considering Cooley prior to getting into MSU because at that time it wasn't completely well publicized what a mill that place is and they offered scholarships. What did I know other than that I needed to do something to get a career started? Now as a difference, I was under no illusions about my chances for success in law school - I expected to be just OK job-wise if I ended up middle of the class, I never assumed I was gonna ace that shit. I just need A job to live and afford rent and food. That was my plan - I was a philosophy major, I had no other job / career prospects. I couldn't get seasonal work at UPS stacking boxes during Christmas rush. But I got lucky, rocked law school, and here I am. So when I read all these completely rational arguments against going to TTTs, I completely agree - I've actually told people who asked me whether their kids / their friend's kids should go to law school that no, they shouldn't unless its a top school because job prospects are horrendous even if you end up at the top of the class. I tell people I love my school and it worked out for me, but I am a lucky exception to a pretty firm rule.

But if I never took the chance - however long the shot was - I wouldn't be here. So I get it when despite all the rational evidence, despite all the long odds and advice to the contrary, some people want to gamble. Sometimes you HAVE to gamble. I don't fault them for that. I get that OP's attitude was grating and his confidence crossed into hubris, but fortune favors the bold (sometimes). Sorry OP, seems you gambled and lost.


Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:25 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 3270
Young Marino wrote:
Unfortunately I was very disappointed in my 1st semester grades as I really wanted top third at minimum. The curve at my school is set at 2.8 and I have a 2.95 right now. I go to a TTT that places well in the local semi large metro area. What options do I have now in terms of employment? I imagine Big Law is probably not happening and I don't mind that so much.

Did you lose your scholly?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm
Posts: 806
star fox wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
Unfortunately I was very disappointed in my 1st semester grades as I really wanted top third at minimum. The curve at my school is set at 2.8 and I have a 2.95 right now. I go to a TTT that places well in the local semi large metro area. What options do I have now in terms of employment? I imagine Big Law is probably not happening and I don't mind that so much.

Did you lose your scholly?

No and I'm still living at home so cost of attendance is still low


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm
Posts: 2293
Young Marino wrote:
star fox wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
Unfortunately I was very disappointed in my 1st semester grades as I really wanted top third at minimum. The curve at my school is set at 2.8 and I have a 2.95 right now. I go to a TTT that places well in the local semi large metro area. What options do I have now in terms of employment? I imagine Big Law is probably not happening and I don't mind that so much.

Did you lose your scholly?

No and I'm still living at home so cost of attendance is still low


How did you get grades back so fast? It looks like Nova just finished finals a week ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am
Posts: 7024
NotMyRealName09 wrote:
I realize that there is apparent history with OP's brazen, stubborn manner and TLS's "retake" mantra as well laid-out by Ron Don, and believe me, I am a lover of schadenfreude as much as anyone, especially when the exact harm warned of has come to pass.

But do you gotta kick a guy when he's down? Saying "I told you so" might be true and feel good, but this guy's future just took a boot to the teeth. He knows what he said before and he probably feels like shit. Now his post will be linked to and shown to pie-in-the-sky 0Ls for years to come as a real life warning.

Maybe I'm sympathetic because I was kind of this guy. I went to MSU (TTT when I began, I guess in Tier 2 now? Whatever). I had a middling LSAT, terrible undergrad GPA, and barely got in. I was so excited because this was the first promising thing I had going for me in a long time up to that point. I was considering Cooley prior to getting into MSU because at that time it wasn't completely well publicized what a mill that place is and they offered scholarships. What did I know other than that I needed to do something to get a career started? Now as a difference, I was under no illusions about my chances for success in law school - I expected to be just OK job-wise if I ended up middle of the class, I never assumed I was gonna ace that shit. I just need A job to live and afford rent and food. That was my plan - I was a philosophy major, I had no other job / career prospects. I couldn't get seasonal work at UPS stacking boxes during Christmas rush. But I got lucky, rocked law school, and here I am. So when I read all these completely rational arguments against going to TTTs, I completely agree - I've actually told people who asked me whether their kids / their friend's kids should go to law school that no, they shouldn't unless its a top school because job prospects are horrendous even if you end up at the top of the class. I tell people I love my school and it worked out for me, but I am a lucky exception to a pretty firm rule.

But if I never took the chance - however long the shot was - I wouldn't be here. So I get it when despite all the rational evidence, despite all the long odds and advice to the contrary, some people want to gamble. Sometimes you HAVE to gamble. I don't fault them for that. I get that OP's attitude was grating and his confidence crossed into hubris, but fortune favors the bold (sometimes). Sorry OP, seems you gambled and lost.


His future didn't take a hit though. He's right where he needs to be/wanted to be/planned to be. His whole schtick was he was born and bred to be a DA and screw the elitists, etc. Now he's lamenting his big law chances?

What a joke.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:53 pm
Posts: 92
I think Young Marino is trolling


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just above median at a TTT. Life over?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:59 pm 
Offline
TLS Poet Laureate
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am
Posts: 20585
bjsesq wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
butlerraider1 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
Wow. Grades already?

A lot of people taking the bait, unsurprisingly


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: griffin3575, LS-boundNYC, souzakid and 34 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Login     TLS home     TLS forums     TLS wiki     Terms of Service     Privacy Policy     Copyright Policy     Contact     powered by phpBB