What to do on Turkey Day break

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Average.Joe

New

What to do on Turkey Day break

Postby Average.Joe » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:48 pm

What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving? Where finals are so close, I don't really want to go home for Thanksgiving. So what do other law students do for Thanksgiving? Are you going home? Are you staying at Law School studying/writing papers? Going shopping (if it's close)? Binge watching on Netflix?

QContinuum

Re: What to do on Turkey Day break

Postby QContinuum » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:45 pm

Keeping in mind that people's circumstances and family situations are different, for 1L it is generally not recommended to travel for Thanksgiving, given the criticality of 1L grades and how close finals are to Thanksgiving.

2L/3L depends on whether one is gunning for clerkships.

hlsperson1111

Bronze

Postby hlsperson1111 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:01 pm

For what it's worth, this is totally dependent on the timing of your finals, your study style, etc. I always took the entire week of Thanksgiving off (and traveled cross-country), flew back the next weekend, and then started cramming in earnest. I needed the week to recharge more than I needed the week to study. YMMV.

Pennoyer v. Meh

New

Postby Pennoyer v. Meh » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:55 pm

Agree 100% that your decision should depend on your own circumstances. That idea that 1Ls shouldn't go home for Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, harmful. If you need to recharge, recharge. If you don't, don't. When I was a 1L I was needed to go home, rest, and spend time away from law school before settling down; I also went away again two weekends before exams (spoiler alert: my grades were stellar). This may not work for everyone, but I despise the idea of telling people that they shouldn't go home.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:03 am

Pennoyer v. Meh wrote:Agree 100% that your decision should depend on your own circumstances. That idea that 1Ls shouldn't go home for Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, harmful. If you need to recharge, recharge. If you don't, don't. When I was a 1L I was needed to go home, rest, and spend time away from law school before settling down; I also went away again two weekends before exams (spoiler alert: my grades were stellar). This may not work for everyone, but I despise the idea of telling people that they shouldn't go home.

Of course if any 1L needs to take time off for their mental health and wellness, they should do that.

I stand by my advice that, for the typical 1L, it is not generally recommended to travel for Thanksgiving. The typical first-semester 1L cannot possibly know whether they, like Pennoyer above, are naturally good at law school exams.

Pennoyer v. Meh

New

Postby Pennoyer v. Meh » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:52 pm

QContinuum wrote:I stand by my advice that, for the typical 1L, it is not generally recommended to travel for Thanksgiving. The typical first-semester 1L cannot possibly know whether they, like Pennoyer above, are naturally good at law school exams.

I did not know if I was naturally good at exams. I did know, however, that I was tired and needed 3-4 days of rest in order to have a good chance at success in the coming weeks post-break. I think it's crucial to recognize that you may benefit more from recharging for a few days prior to hunkering down rather than running the risk of being stretched too thin--but I'll acknowledge that isn't for everyone. I just want to state that as clearly as possible.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�