Is it worth it being a Kaplan student rep?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Lawstudent342

New

Is it worth it being a Kaplan student rep?

Postby Lawstudent342 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:32 pm

I’m a Kaplan student rep and have to sell 5 courses to get a free course. Not a lot, but I’m worried this is just going to be a waste of time. Can anyone speak to how much they can “help” you get five sales or if it is realistic? My network on campus is almost non-existent.

JOThompson

Silver

Re: Is it worth it being a Kaplan student rep?

Postby JOThompson » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:05 pm

I was a student rep for Themis. It was a $100 discount off my course for every student I signed up. I was never going to be able to sell enough to get it free. I didn't look too closely at Kaplan. Is Kaplan an all or nothing situation, or do you get some credit for each sale under five?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:52 pm

I was a rep for Themis. I got $500 and a free course for minimal effort. Totally worth it.

SilvermanBarPrep

Partner

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:01 pm

I don't know a ton about this, but it sounds like it could definitely be worth it. That's a lot of money to save when it comes time for bar prep.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

LSATWiz.com

Partner

Postby LSATWiz.com » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:15 pm

If you have a firm paying for it, it's not that relevant unless it's transferrable for cash. But wow - that is such a good deal for Kaplan.

After publishing fees and salaries are paid, the profit margin is over 90% for any add'l student who signs up so you basically help drive in upwards of $25,000 profit just to get a free bar course that likely costs them about $100 out of pocket. That's irrelevant to whether it's a good deal for you, but that is such a good deal for them. It's amazing how companies can get you to work for straight commission when the commission is not even cash.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:43 pm

LSATWiz.com wrote:If you have a firm paying for it, it's not that relevant unless it's transferrable for cash. But wow - that is such a good deal for Kaplan.

After publishing fees and salaries are paid, the profit margin is over 90% for any add'l student who signs up so you basically help drive in upwards of $25,000 profit just to get a free bar course that likely costs them about $100 out of pocket. That's irrelevant to whether it's a good deal for you, but that is such a good deal for them. It's amazing how companies can get you to work for straight commission when the commission is not even cash.

Does Kaplan actually charge $5000 per course these days? I thought they were much cheaper, like in the $1500-2000 range (and sometimes/often even less).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students?