3L with no prospects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gilet01

New

3L with no prospects

Postby gilet01 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:37 pm

I'm a 3L at a (low) t60 with no prospects. Bottom 10% of the class. Worked for a small firm first summer, this summer I'm doing part-time work as an RA. All I could find after sending out 100+ applications. My resume sucks. OCS has proposed I have two options: 1: find a small trial court clerkship and pray some judge takes pity on me or; 2: find a job outside of law. That's hard with a 3-year gap on your resume.

I really don't want to be homeless next year. Where should I be looking for jobs? At this point I think they might be right, and that it would be a good idea to just sign up for nursing courses, but those are more competitive than getting into my not even t50. My LSAT was good, and grades range from As to Cs. I want to do criminal work, preferably for PSLF, but don't know if any market would hire me in any capacity.

andythefir

Silver

Re: 3L with no prospects

Postby andythefir » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Mountain west and rural DA/PD will hire anyone with a bar card.

wishywashy

New

Postby wishywashy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:23 pm

gilet01 wrote:I'm a 3L at a (low) t60 with no prospects. Bottom 10% of the class. Worked for a small firm first summer, this summer I'm doing part-time work as an RA. All I could find after sending out 100+ applications. My resume sucks. OCS has proposed I have two options: 1: find a small trial court clerkship and pray some judge takes pity on me or; 2: find a job outside of law. That's hard with a 3-year gap on your resume.

I really don't want to be homeless next year. Where should I be looking for jobs? At this point I think they might be right, and that it would be a good idea to just sign up for nursing courses, but those are more competitive than getting into my not even t50. My LSAT was good, and grades range from As to Cs. I want to do criminal work, preferably for PSLF, but don't know if any market would hire me in any capacity.

From last page of the 3L vale of tears thread:

New Mexico's 5th DA is hiring right now, and they're always desperate. When I worked there we hired very single resume that came into the door. Fired from last DA job and working doc review in Seattle? Hired. Cooley grads who have never found legal work? Hired. If you're willing to move, there are legal jobs to be had.

Best of luck OP. Sometimes what seems like a crappy hand of cards can work out. Stay positive and be willing to move for a job.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:40 am

TLS might laugh at me for saying this, but there is nothing wrong with a state trial court clerkship. Local judges are pretty well-connected in their locality and are willing to go to bat for their clerks. Doing well during a clerkship and having a local judge on your side can at least partially mitigate a subpar law school performance.

gilet01

New

Postby gilet01 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:37 am

I just want to have something. My chance of getting a state trial clerkship is low.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:45 am

To piggyback off the above, I can tell you that working at a state trial court and impressing the judge and/or attorneys through your diligence and work ethic will certainly open doors for you. Plus, the general jurisdiction can make the writing and research quite interesting. Just make sure you want to work as an attorney in that location. If I was you, I'd be calling chambers/searching the state's job openings portal and trying to find law clerk postings. Good luck!

andythefir

Silver

Postby andythefir » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:40 am

:P
gilet01 wrote:I just want to have something. My chance of getting a state trial clerkship is low.

I’m sorry things didn’t work out the way you wanted them to, but the reality is your chances are low in your current industry and preferred practice area. There are jobs for everyone who wants them in different regions and practice areas.

St0pI'mC0nfused

New

Postby St0pI'mC0nfused » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:40 pm

gilet01 wrote:I just want to have something. My chance of getting a state trial clerkship is low.

What states/territories are you close to?
Last edited by QContinuum on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Return to “Legal Employment?