NYU Latin Honors

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cbbinnyc

Bronze

NYU Latin Honors

Postby cbbinnyc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:43 am

Hi all, it's about that time. Anybody heard anything about Latin honors?

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Re: NYU Latin Honors

Postby cbbinnyc » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:12 pm

FYI, latin honors are starting to come out
3.60 good enough for cum laude

Dante181

New

Postby Dante181 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Magna cum laude is out.

Dante181

New

Postby Dante181 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Emails are out for Coif/magna.

Nswnsn

New

Postby Nswnsn » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:02 am

cbbinnyc wrote:FYI, latin honors are starting to come out

Where did you get this? I had a 3.61 and didn't get cum laude. Sounds like I need to talk with academic services

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Postby cbbinnyc » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:26 pm

Nswnsn wrote:

Where did you get this? I had a 3.61 and didn't get cum laude. Sounds like I need to talk with academic services

Sorry for the slow response, this may now be a moot point but ... I just calculated my gpa by hand and came up with 3.604. Pretty certain I did it correctly, but maybe there is some quirk in how they do calculations for latin honors that I'm not aware of.

Nswnsn

New

Postby Nswnsn » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Thanks for your response! Did you use 3.66 for an A- or 3.67 (NYU's policy on this changed while we were in school). Using 3.67 I get 3.606 for my GPA but 3.66 I get 3.602 (I had a lot of A-s I guess).

cbbinnyc wrote:
Nswnsn wrote:

Sorry for the slow response, this may now be a moot point but ... I just calculated my gpa by hand and came up with 3.604. Pretty certain I did it correctly, but maybe there is some quirk in how they do calculations for latin honors that I'm not aware of.

Nswnsn

New

Postby Nswnsn » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 am

So, I talked with academic services. They claim that your calculation is "inaccurate". But given how shady they are about grades in general, I am kind of suspicious about the process they used to check this. Here is my email: ims335@nyu.edu. would you be willing to talk them with me? Thanks

cbbinnyc wrote:
Nswnsn wrote:

Nswnsn

New

Postby Nswnsn » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:32 am

I've calculated my GPA according to the formula NYU has online, and I come up with 3.606 every time. I told NYU about your post and asked them to check if there was a mistake when they calculated my GPA. At first academic services refused because of the ole song-and-dance that they don't calculate GPA. Then after I emailed them several more times they called your post inaccurate. NYU has totally ignored my follow-up emails asking what the accurate number is for the lowest GPA that received cum laude our year. Frankly, given how NYU has handled my questions about this, I don't think they checked this. And I think it is way more likely NYU made a mistake than it is a longtime TLSer doesn't know how to calculate GPA (I mean, this is 7th grade math). But it is clear to me NYU will not even admit this is a possibility unless both of us come to academic services with our transcripts and different GPAs.

I don't know if you are still out there or if you have moved on. If you are still out there, I really need your help. It kills me that after three years of hard work NYU won't even check its arithmetic. Please let me know if you are able to help. Thank you.

cbbinnyc wrote:
Nswnsn wrote:

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Postby cbbinnyc » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Just to put a button on this, for people interested in the future, turns out that, in reality, 3.621 was good enough for cum laude (apparently non-law school classes are not counted in the calculation for latin honors).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�