Law Preview: worth it?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby TTT-LS » Sat May 17, 2008 1:39 pm

,
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
standre2008
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:13 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby standre2008 » Sat May 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Wow..

TTT-LS, I agree with the majority of what you've said throughout this entire topic, but I think you're starting to take this issue too personal. I don't think this is something to develop HBP over...

We get it. You have a disdain for overachievers.

boston101
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:36 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby boston101 » Sat May 17, 2008 2:05 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
babs22pa wrote:Actually now that I think about it, I probably should have blown it in Vegas.


Yes, yes you should have. But water under the bridge at this point. I guess you're going in with eyes (partially) open to how much of a waste the whole thing is going to be. You've already raised the massive problem with their supposed median statistic, which probably suffers from horrendous self-select reporting in addition to self-select attendance, in much the same way that median law school salary data does (e.g. only the people who do really well 1L tend to report their grades for measuring, whereas people who do average or poorly just don't respond to the survey). I'll be interested to what you guys think about it all this time next year. My sense is that you'll arrive at the conclusion EVERY 1L has arrived at in this thread (that law preview is mostly useless or worse), but time will tell.

My bigger picture gripe with you guys and gals is that you're really expressing the worst trait of Gen Y, and doing so in spades. You just can't dive in with confidence. You need support for every damn little thing, and worse yet, when you see an uncontroverted rule in the way of what you want, you somehow rationalize that while the rule is correct, it nonetheless somehow doesn't apply to YOU (see, e.g., boston 101's post, supra). Why? Because you're special (your parents, teachers, et al have been telling you this incessantly since the day you were born). You're different. The rules don't apply to YOU. You see this stuff all the time in law school forums. Gen Y has lots of cool features, but the above is certainly a drawback that is hugely off putting.


Youve lost me. And since you pointed me out Id like you to expand on how you, a person that doesnt me, feel I represent all that is bad about Gen Y. :roll:
How do I think the rules dont apply to me in this case?!?

I agree that LP probably wont benefit my grades that much, if at all.
And, no I havent been told Im special incessantly. Actually, I would love to be one of those people that was coddled and hand-held my entire life because my friends that were seem pretty happy, but those arent the cards I was dealt as a first-generation American from a lower middle class family.

I want to take the class so that I know a little something when I start law school, thats all I expect to get out of it. Like babs, I could spend 1k on some vacation or alcohol or clothes, but I dont care to do that anymore.

My question for you is why do you focus all your time on here telling 0Ls not to prep and then when they disregard your advice, attack them?

AirForceJAG
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby AirForceJAG » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:35 pm

I disagree with most of the folks here ... I think the more you prepare for law school the better!!

It makes no sense to me that you would spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars preparing for the LSAT and then NOT prepare for your actual first year. How stupid is that?

You may want to consider cheaper alternatives, like the Juris Jumpstart course at http://www.lawpreponline.com . My nephew did it because it required no travel and only cost a few hundred bucks.

There is my two cents worth.

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby Corsair » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:44 am

..

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby underdawg » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:22 am

IMO Law Preview should focus soley on cooking....

...god i hate my own cooking

smaakit
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby smaakit » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:31 pm

I took Law Preview, I found it useful and interesting.

If you have the $, time, and inclination to do Law Preview, you can get a lot out of it.

Or you can be like the guy who sat next to me and looked at porn.

Or don't do it at all!

It's not for everyone. I felt like I needed a trial run with briefing cases, Socratic method, etc etc. Not everyone needs that. No worries.

User avatar
uvalaw4l
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby uvalaw4l » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:40 pm

I took it and thought it was useful at the time. Then I got to law school and realized it didn't really help at all. The only part that was helpful was the research and writing part, but at the time you don't have any context for it so most goes over your head.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby OperaAttorney » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:05 pm

I'm taking LAW PREVIEW this summer. Here are my reasons:

(1) I'm not paying for it.
(2) If I attend one of the LA sessions, I get to enjoy Los Angeles, hang out with my friends, etc. If I attend the Austin session, I get to "preview" Austin before moving there in August. If I attend one of the DC sessions, I get to spend 1 week in Chocolate City! (What could be better???) I intend to treat LawPreview like a working vacation.
(3) I get to practice note-taking (on my laptop), handling the Socratic method (if my profs use it), waking up early in the morning for class, etc.
(4) I get to meet some 0L's in the flesh. I imagine this being fun.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:37 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:I'm taking LAW PREVIEW this summer. Here are my reasons:

(1) I'm not paying for it.
(2) If I attend one of the LA sessions, I get to enjoy Los Angeles, hang out with my friends, etc. If I attend the Austin session, I get to "preview" Austin before moving there in August. If I attend one of the DC sessions, I get to spend 1 week in Chocolate City! (What could be better???) I intend to treat LawPreview like a working vacation.
(3) I get to practice note-taking (on my laptop), handling the Socratic method (if my profs use it), waking up early in the morning for class, etc.
(4) I get to meet some 0L's in the flesh. I imagine this being fun.


:shock:

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby OperaAttorney » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:58 pm

JazzOne wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:I'm taking LAW PREVIEW this summer. Here are my reasons:

(1) I'm not paying for it.
(2) If I attend one of the LA sessions, I get to enjoy Los Angeles, hang out with my friends, etc. If I attend the Austin session, I get to "preview" Austin before moving there in August. If I attend one of the DC sessions, I get to spend 1 week in Chocolate City! (What could be better???) I intend to treat LawPreview like a working vacation.
(3) I get to practice note-taking (on my laptop), handling the Socratic method (if my profs use it), waking up early in the morning for class, etc.
(4) I get to meet some 0L's in the flesh. I imagine this being fun.


:shock:


Why the :shock: face? Should I have written "in person"? :lol:

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby booker09 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:30 am

okay, i hesitate to ask this. but... i will. what about the testimonials on the law preview site? i mean.. i'm assuming they're not fake, fabricated, exaggerated, etc. and some of the testimonials were written by t-6 students. idk, i'm trying to skeptical here, hell, there are a ton of things i want to buy/do with $1295. but seriously: somebody explain the testimonials and how they're consistent with the Law-Preview-is-no-help claim.

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby booker09 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:31 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:I'm taking LAW PREVIEW this summer. Here are my reasons:

(1) I'm not paying for it.
(2) If I attend one of the LA sessions, I get to enjoy Los Angeles, hang out with my friends, etc. If I attend the Austin session, I get to "preview" Austin before moving there in August. If I attend one of the DC sessions, I get to spend 1 week in Chocolate City! (What could be better???) I intend to treat LawPreview like a working vacation.
(3) I get to practice note-taking (on my laptop), handling the Socratic method (if my profs use it), waking up early in the morning for class, etc.
(4) I get to meet some 0L's in the flesh. I imagine this being fun.


:shock:


Why the :shock: face? Should I have written "in person"? :lol:


how are u not paying for it? anyway, that's pretty sweet

army_of_one
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:42 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby army_of_one » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:00 pm

i would like to go ahead and kick this extremely old, dead horse and ask those who took the course to HONESTLY tell us whether or not the course was worth it.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby bigben » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:03 pm

army_of_one wrote:i would like to go ahead and kick this extremely old, dead horse and ask those who took the course to HONESTLY tell us whether or not the course was worth it.


lol

JClark-NYU
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby JClark-NYU » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:49 am

Hi -

I am currently a 1L at NYU and I took this course the summer before I entered law school. It was extremely helpful for me. I would be happy to talk to anyone about this who is interested. I entered law school straight from undergrad and so it was a nice introduction to the rigors of legal reading, as well as helped ease my fears of "cold calling".

I found the skills law preview teaches to be very relevant and useful, and I am still using them during my second semester. These classes aren't for everybody. They are especially useful if you are anxious are worried about your first semester. In addition, I really feel that these classes gave me a head start into the semester. I had already read and briefed cases while my classmates learned about case briefing at orientation.

I learned about outlining months before my classmates did. Most people don't learn about the skills or strategies for outlining until the end of the 1st semester.

Do I think this class is necessary to be successful? No. However it is certainly a worthwhile investment.

Best,
J

JClark-NYU
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby JClark-NYU » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:02 am

Hi -

I am currently a 1L at NYU and I took this course the summer before I entered law school. It was extremely helpful for me. I would be happy to talk to anyone about this who is interested. I entered law school straight from undergrad and so it was a nice introduction to the rigors of legal reading, as well as helped ease my fears of "cold calling".

I found the skills law preview teaches to be very relevant and useful, and I am still using them during my second semester. These classes aren't for everybody. They are especially useful if you are anxious are worried about your first semester. In addition, I really feel that these classes gave me a head start into the semester. I had already read and briefed cases while my classmates learned about case briefing at orientation.

I learned about outlining months before my classmates did. Most people don't learn about the skills or strategies for outlining until the end of the 1st semester.

Do I think this class is necessary to be successful? No. However it is certainly a worthwhile investment.

Best,
J

User avatar
Consigliere
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby Consigliere » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:25 am

^ ITCR
Law Preview is worthwhile if 1) your employer's paying for it 2) your extremely nervous about law school 3) you have no idea what to expect your first year or 4) your a Pre-OL trying to figure out if Law School is right for you. If your on TLS or you read Law School Confidential you probably dont fall into the third category.

You certainly dont need the course and it might only marginally help you, but its a good opportunity to develop your own strategy for outlines and case briefs, and you'll be exposed to a variety of teaching styles from what I found to be a very good faculty.

User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby Gunz353 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:29 am

What about the one day Legal Writing section?? This is the one part I am considering, since all I hear is that my legal writing class is very obscure, lots of "hiding the ball," and legal writing is the one thing I have not found any substantive information on.

JClark-NYU
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby JClark-NYU » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:39 am

The legal research and writing course was helpful, though a little cryptic at the time because it is so different from anything I had done before. It really helped me in my lawyering skills class, however that class is just pass/fail at NYU, so I don't know if you would feel that is worth it or not.

Also, it was on the last day for my session, a Saturday, so I was a little bit burned out. If you are only doing this, perhaps it won't seem so alien and hard. I can guarantee that it won't hurt you, I just don't know if you will get your money out of it. I feel like I did, though I didn't realize it until classes started.

socal99
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby socal99 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:46 am

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Believe me, this course does nothing but stress you out right as you are entering law school. I just about had a panic attack after taking Law Preview. And frankly there is no way to learn each substantive area in a single day, so don't waste your time trying. There is nothing to be gained by the glossary overview you get at Law Preview - it only serves to confuse and stress you the F*** out.

If you value your mental health or your money, do yourself a favor and don't take Law Preview. If you want a jump start I recommend reading Law 101 and Law School Confidential - you'll get the same information for a fraction of the price.

JClark-NYU
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby JClark-NYU » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:00 am

The point isn't to learn each substantive area of law. It is to get a preview, of both the substantive areas as well as law school life. In addition, I have received several emails throughout the year, with Alumni tips and check in to make sure I am staying on track with my studying. Also, during my first semester I was struggling with a subject, and I emailed one of the law preview founders Don Macaulay (who was one of the teachers at my session of law preview) and he put me in touch with an NYU 2L, who helped me through the subject. The people at law preview do charge a high premium, but they also really want each student to succeed.

This class isn't for anyone. As a highly anxious person though, I can attest to the fact that law preview severely reduces anxiety it doesn't create more.

I think this is a decision you need to make on your own, but I would be happy to be a resource for people considering the program. I don't think anyone can say, No matter what do it or no matter what don't do it. Law preview isn't for everybody, but I was one of the people who found it very beneficial.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby 270910 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:31 am

Jclark signs up for TLS and proceeds to do nothing but shill for law preview that same day, including numerous identical postings across different threads.

It doesn't really matter what KIND of troll (fake law student? real law student working for law preview? real law student with no sense of e-tact?) Jclark is, these kinds of situations are basically a reputable presumption of horrible, horrible trolling.

JClark-NYU
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby JClark-NYU » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:03 pm

I apologize for bothering anyone. I explicitly stated that I was cross-posting, and I did so because law preview had been mentioned in so many areas I wanted my offer to speak to people who are considering taking the course to reach a wide audience.

I clearly don't have "e-tact" and I don't really know what that and "trolling" entails.

I haven't commented on other subjects because I really don't have much to say. Sure I could speculate about what some other students odds of acceptance are, but people don't realize law schools admits classes not individual applicants. The admissions council needs to try to put together a cohesive and diverse group, not just look at one person's numbers.

I can however speak directly to my experience at law preview, and my experience and outlook can be helpful and relevant to anyone considering taking the course. That is why I am adamant about being available as a resource.

I have never worked for law preview though I appreciated their help so much I am considering applying to be a student instructor in the future. However I already have summer employment in a state where there are no law preview courses taught.

As i have previously mentioned, I do not want to post my NYU email address on here, but if you email me at loganvanderbilt@gmail.com I would be happy to respond with my NYU address, as well as answer any question you have about law preview, LEEWS, NYU, etc.

Again, I do apologize for rubbing anyone the wrong way. I am just trying to be helpful rather than just saying - "yes definitely do it" or "no, its a F**** waste of money". I am trying to give substance.

Best,
J

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:06 am

boston101 wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:
babs22pa wrote:Actually now that I think about it, I probably should have blown it in Vegas.


Yes, yes you should have. But water under the bridge at this point. I guess you're going in with eyes (partially) open to how much of a waste the whole thing is going to be. You've already raised the massive problem with their supposed median statistic, which probably suffers from horrendous self-select reporting in addition to self-select attendance, in much the same way that median law school salary data does (e.g. only the people who do really well 1L tend to report their grades for measuring, whereas people who do average or poorly just don't respond to the survey). I'll be interested to what you guys think about it all this time next year. My sense is that you'll arrive at the conclusion EVERY 1L has arrived at in this thread (that law preview is mostly useless or worse), but time will tell.

My bigger picture gripe with you guys and gals is that you're really expressing the worst trait of Gen Y, and doing so in spades. You just can't dive in with confidence. You need support for every damn little thing, and worse yet, when you see an uncontroverted rule in the way of what you want, you somehow rationalize that while the rule is correct, it nonetheless somehow doesn't apply to YOU (see, e.g., boston 101's post, supra). Why? Because you're special (your parents, teachers, et al have been telling you this incessantly since the day you were born). You're different. The rules don't apply to YOU. You see this stuff all the time in law school forums. Gen Y has lots of cool features, but the above is certainly a drawback that is hugely off putting.


Youve lost me. And since you pointed me out Id like you to expand on how you, a person that doesnt me, feel I represent all that is bad about Gen Y. :roll:
How do I think the rules dont apply to me in this case?!?

I agree that LP probably wont benefit my grades that much, if at all.
And, no I havent been told Im special incessantly. Actually, I would love to be one of those people that was coddled and hand-held my entire life because my friends that were seem pretty happy, but those arent the cards I was dealt as a first-generation American from a lower middle class family.

I want to take the class so that I know a little something when I start law school, thats all I expect to get out of it. Like babs, I could spend 1k on some vacation or alcohol or clothes, but I dont care to do that anymore.

My question for you is why do you focus all your time on here telling 0Ls not to prep and then when they disregard your advice, attack them?

The only reason one could possibly have for wanting to know a li'l somthin' somthin' about law school is to positively impact one's grade. There is no other option. The only reason to be in law school is to beat the other 99.9% of the students. Law school is not intellectually stimulating or "fun." TTTLS is right as usual; you think the above rule doesn't apply to you. The stuff about Gen Y was dicta.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 5 guests