Law Preview: worth it?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ipsa Dixit

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Tue May 06, 2008 1:14 am

TTT-LS wrote:A blind man probably shoudn't be an art critic, and a 0L probably ought not dispense advice on whether law preview is worth it. End of thread.

TITCR!

But it doesn't matter... they won't listen.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Tue May 06, 2008 1:16 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeezoo

Postby zeezoo » Tue May 06, 2008 1:24 am

I thought my statement was vague enough to not elicit these responses. I never said a class was a good idea. But I think there is absolutely a certain method everyone could do n the summer that would help hem as 1Ls. For some people, a class might help them. For others, relaxing might refresh their brains. Finally, reading E+E's might be helpful to another group.

To say that 0 prep is always the right choice is insane imo.

Again, I am not taking a course. I plan to self prep by reading E+Es and Delaney, as well as reading a mountain of securities law journals/books I have been meaning to get to. Sure, the latter will have little direct help to my 1L grades, but it will speed up my reading and understanding of complex tasks, and I prefer reading those subjects to nonsense novels or classics.

mumbling2myself

Postby mumbling2myself » Tue May 06, 2008 1:27 am

--ImageRemoved--

nonunique

Postby nonunique » Tue May 06, 2008 1:28 am

I understand your being open to the possibility...I've just not yet heard a single law student say a preview class helped them. I've heard several say it was a waste.

As always, a little light reading isn't a bad idea...and to each his/her own and all...but you probably shouldn't devote any major time to it.

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Tue May 06, 2008 9:41 am

TTT-LS wrote:
SgtBilko wrote:0L Wading into the Lion's den:

It's a one-week class. "Doing other things (e.g. relaxing, seeing friends, going running, sleeping in)" do not have to come at the expense of the other.

Logic: ur doing it wrong. Since you can't be doing both activities at the same time, by definition one comes at the expense of the other.

You're right! How dense of me to think that one week out of a 3 month summer basically means you won't see any friends at night, or go running in the morning before class or even relax a bit while you're in class. I suppose not even addressing my point makes yours a good argument?

I have no opinion on this one way or the other, but seriously, 1Ls, get over yourselves.

Ipsa Dixit

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Tue May 06, 2008 11:21 am

You can relax and not take the class, you can relax and take the class. The value of relaxing and not taking the class is quite a bit higher though.

0Ls highly underrate the value of one week spent NOT taking classes.

They'll get the perspective once they're in law school.

Anyway, maybe we need a thread called ITT: 0Ls tell 1Ls how it is

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Tue May 06, 2008 2:02 pm

mumbling2myself

Postby mumbling2myself » Tue May 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Watch Me Crank Dat Civil Pro
Then Super Man Oh-Els

Postby 18488 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:07 pm

Last edited by 18488 on Fri May 16, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mumbling2myself

Postby mumbling2myself » Tue May 06, 2008 3:17 pm

sbrown83 wrote:I'm signed up to take it--I really can't see how it can hurt. I don't really expect it to improve my exam performance--I just want to feel ever so slightly more confident in the first couple of weeks of law school. Law school will be completely different from anything I've ever done before. If you want to say my insecurity is being preyed upon, I'll even grant you that. If I feel psychologically better prepared, whether I actually am or not, I'll probably experience less stress--I know this from my experience of my own personality.

So basically you're paying a lot of money for a placebo effect? I could sell you magic law school beans for 1/4 the price. You'd waste less time and money, I'd start cleaning out my pantry for moving, and you'd get the same confidence.

...or perhaps you would if Atticus Falcon sold the beans instead of me. Then I'm sure you'd have a giant beanstalk straight up to the ivory tower.

All kidding aside, if you think it will make you feel better, go ahead and take the class, just so long as you go into it know what you're getting.

BlueDevilSarah

Postby BlueDevilSarah » Tue May 06, 2008 3:19 pm

There's also the possibility you're going to learn how to do these things incorrectly. Some professors are pretty particular and you may end up having to un-learn things that you spent a lot of time and energy developing this summer.

That said, maybe we'll finally have the anecdotal evidence people are asking for about what a waste of time these things are. You're falling on a sword for the rest of us. For that, I applaud you.

mumbling2myself

Postby mumbling2myself » Tue May 06, 2008 3:26 pm

What I really don't get is a lot of the same 0L's who would caution people against going to a low ranked school because it's time consuming and expensive and most likely won't get them the career they want are argue for spending a lot of time and money on something that most likely won't get them the grade boost they want.

(I don't mean to lump you in there sbrown, I don't know your position on the matter)

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Tue May 06, 2008 3:44 pm

If intent upon wasting a week, why not spend the time reading about legal writing style or how to write for a legal exam? Or maybe how to outline for your classes or something like that? That doesn't seem to be focused upon much in class, so it might be helpful to spend your own time on it in the summer, as you'll have to eventually anyway. That and it won't be detrimental like learning some legal concept incorrectly?

Merrill

Postby Merrill » Tue May 06, 2008 3:45 pm

mumbling2myself wrote:What I really don't get is a lot of the same 0L's who would caution people against going to a low ranked school because it's time consuming and expensive and most likely won't get them the career they want are argue for spending a lot of time and money on something that most likely won't get them the grade boost they want.

(I don't mean to lump you in there sbrown, I don't know your position on the matter)

I think some people believe that you have to do anything within your power to get ahead--go to a top-ranked school, work hard, be prepared, get all the help you can--but they have trouble distinguishing between things that are useful (LSAT prep) and things that aren't (Law Preview). I've never known a law student or a lawyer who thought any sort of preparation for law school was helpful. Since those people have actually been to law school, and I haven't, I'm taking their word for it.

My prep for 1L will consist of lots of reading for fun, drinking wine, and spending time outside. Maybe I'll give it an important-sounding name (Legal Power 101?) and charge other 0Ls to join me.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Tue May 06, 2008 4:29 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merrill

Postby Merrill » Tue May 06, 2008 4:37 pm

Legal Power 101 attendees will have to pay extra if they want the special wine-in-a-box experience.

mumbling2myself

Postby mumbling2myself » Tue May 06, 2008 4:40 pm

Merrill wrote:Legal Power 101 attendees will have to pay extra if they want the special wine-in-a-box experience.

Any chance you'll offer a Legal Power 102 for rising 2L's?

BlueDevilSarah

Postby BlueDevilSarah » Tue May 06, 2008 4:44 pm

Take my money! Sign me up! Is Orientation at the bar in Millennium Park?

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Tue May 06, 2008 5:11 pm

Ipsa Dixit

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Tue May 06, 2008 5:20 pm

mumbling2myself wrote:
Merrill wrote:Legal Power 101 attendees will have to pay extra if they want the special wine-in-a-box experience.

I hope Legal Power 102 will be coming to a city near me this summer!!

I didn't take a law preview course before 1L and I feel like I've really missed out on the experience of spending money I don't have on a course I don't need.

Merrill

Postby Merrill » Tue May 06, 2008 6:41 pm

mumbling2myself wrote:

Absolutely! I promise you'll feel more confident during your 2L year.

Merrill

Postby Merrill » Tue May 06, 2008 6:42 pm

Ipsa Dixit wrote:
I didn't take a law preview course before 1L and I feel like I've really missed out on the experience of spending money I don't have on a course I don't need.

Don't worry; Legal Power 102 provides that option.

aguyingeorgia

Postby aguyingeorgia » Tue May 06, 2008 6:44 pm

I'm looking for a small duck that answers to the name of "Quack". If found, please pm me. Thank you.

KidA23

Postby KidA23 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:53 pm

TTT-LS wrote:1.) Merrill, you are an excellent addition to the NU Law community.
2.) Legal Power 101 sounds good, but Legal Power 101: Now with FRANZIA sounds even better.

Pink blush FTW

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”