Law Preview: worth it? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
boston101

New

Re: Law Preview: worth it?

Post by boston101 » Sat May 10, 2008 3:29 pm

The 1L consensus is not to do it. I get their points. I decided awhile back that I wouldn't do it.

But, I just checked out the webpage and saw that they have some impressive profs teaching the courses. For example, one of the profs I ate lunch with during the NYU ASD program is teaching in NYC and CA. There are a good number of Yale, Harvard and NYU profs, especially in the Northeast courses, teaching Law Preview. Plus, I am starting to get nervous about all the info Im going to have to learn in such a short amount of time. So now Im starting to rethink it. The price sucks hard though.

Anybody still thinking about doing it?

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sat May 10, 2008 3:37 pm

Who cares who these profs are? Save your $$. The only profs that matter are the ones you have to get grades from. You'll have an academic year to figure them out (you surely cannot figure them out in one week even if one were in the law preview program!)

boston101

New

Post by boston101 » Sat May 10, 2008 3:43 pm

Ipsa Dixit wrote:Who cares who these profs are? Save your $$. The only profs that matter are the ones you have to get grades from. You'll have an academic year to figure them out (you surely cannot figure them out in one week even if one were in the law preview program!)
haha. The only profs that matter are the ones that you have to get grades from?
I think it'd be cool to learn a lil something from top professors, even if theyre not the ones giving me the grades. When the NYU prof was talking to us about contracts I was acutally very interested and engrossed in what she was saying, even though she's not giving me any grades.
I dont know, maybe I should go buy/check out some law books written by these profs. Law Preview is too expensive...

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sat May 10, 2008 4:13 pm

For scholars that you think are cool, wait for a free lecture series to come to your school or neighboring school, or as you say, read books by those people (but for the love of god, no casebooks!)

What you think would be cool does not necessarily correspond to your first-year academic success. This is not to say you will not learn things from other teachers and scholars, but what law preview purports to help you with is not about those kinds of interests.

It could actually hurt you going into a first year course with a different prof's perspective on the law than your profs. Over time, as you begin to understand the law, you will be able to diverge your perspective from your profs and still deliver to them what they want to see on an exam (why? b/c in terms of your academic success, they're the only profs who matter!)

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sat May 10, 2008 5:48 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

boston101

New

Post by boston101 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:09 am

TTT-LS wrote:
boston101 wrote:haha. The only profs that matter are the ones that you have to get grades from?
I think it'd be cool to learn a lil something from top professors, even if theyre not the ones giving me the grades. When the NYU prof was talking to us about contracts I was acutally very interested and engrossed in what she was saying, even though she's not giving me any grades.
I dont know, maybe I should go buy/check out some law books written by these profs. Law Preview is too expensive...
I'd say you're an excellent example of why Law Preview is not worthwhile. The energy and excitement you've got for law school are palpable in your posts. That's a good thing. It seems clear that you find the material (contracts, for example) very interesting, and that too is an asset. You will NEED this energy and interest as the semester drags on. When its 1 AM and you have 20 more pages to read for tomorrow, you will NEED that excitement. And if you spend that energy now taking Law Preview or reading books, you'll be doing yourself a disfavor (and a severe one at that).

It may seem like there is just no end to your anxiousness to dive into the law, and thus no reason not to spend a little of that energy now. Other 0Ls have taken this view earlier in the thread. They, of course, have no clue. I bet my bank account plus all of next year's loans that you'll realize what I'm saying just about the time you have your major fall legal writing assignment on top of exam prep, firm job applications, and everything else in late November -- if not earlier. The fact of the matter is that if you start acting on your energy now, and in effect using some of it up, you WILL be more drained at a critical point in the fall semester. There's only so much law a sane person can take, and maintaining motivation is tough even if you have a crystal clear reason why you're going to law school and know you need to do well to reach your goal(s).

Ditch the class. Ditch most of the books (leaf through one if you really just can't stand still without doing *something* legal), and just go have a good time. Come exam time, you'll look back and be glad you did.

I definitely understand what you're saying. Still, I really dont think it would be that detrimental to ME.

I remember in UG there were many unofficial "prelaw" classes taught by lawyers or law professors, which required briefing and the such. I had multiple 1L friends tell me not to take the classes for many of the same reasons you discuss- it'll tire you out, your enthusiasm will wane, you'll get enough of it in law school, you'll get sick of it, etc. I took all of them (6 or 7) anyways and loved them. They made me much more knowledgeable and passionate about the law.

Another piece of advice given to me- don't try to graduate in three years because it'll require you to take 4 classes each summer. It'll tire you out, you won't do well, your interest in school will decrease, etc. I did it and I was very happy with my decision.

I think that each person is different. If you took LP and you felt it tired you out and was not helpful, I thank you for sharing your experience and giving me something to think about. If you didn't, then it would be hard for you to know how beneficial it is or isn't. Im not trying to disregard the advice of 1Ls, but I think taking the hard line that LP is always detrimental is troublesome because everyone has a different learning style and different desires.

If I find the money, I will do it. And Ill give an honest assesment of it next year. If I don't, then I won't. And I will stay quiet on the subject.

KidA23

New

Post by KidA23 » Mon May 12, 2008 2:20 pm

I'd be interested in the feedback they (Law Preview) has on outlining and exam prep, but I really have no desire to sit through 6 days of 'mock classes' on subjects I'm about to spend an entire semester learning which I will likely end up despising by December.

rtp2008

New

Post by rtp2008 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:17 pm

I'm signing up so that I can get drunk in the evening and practice waking up early for a law class. And then I can get used to sitting next to nervous 1Ls and play internet poker online. It'll be cool b/c the class is going to take place in my future classroom so I can carve my name into the table in front of my future seat. That way I can get the prep that everyone wants, with the relaxation that everyone claims that we need.

Law Preview 08!

P.S. I'm really gonna do this.

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Wed May 14, 2008 2:54 pm

Alright, I'm thinking of signing up for the Hastings law preview in July. There are excellent profs teaching it (two are from Berkeley) so it has to be worth something. If nothing else, I can practice taking notes on a laptop (which I've never done before). Plus they supply some useful outlines and give time management advice, etc. $1200 in the grand scheme of things is really nothing (plus I just got a nice tax refund).

For all the people saying "it's a waste of time," did you take the course and what are you basing this assessment on? Your first semester grades, feeling in class, etc?

I've been out of school for what will be five years. Anything that can wake my brain up a little before the full intensity of law school seems like a good investment to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Wed May 14, 2008 3:20 pm

babs22pa wrote:For all the people saying "it's a waste of time," did you take the course and what are you basing this assessment on? Your first semester grades, feeling in class, etc?

I've been out of school for what will be five years. Anything that can wake my brain up a little before the full intensity of law school seems like a good investment to me.
Most of the people cautioning against taking the class in this thread were also out of school for many years. I was out for 3 years, and was barely "in" before graduation anyhow.

I think there might be some marginal utility in taking one of these classes, but it's certainly not worth $1200. There's this perception that law school is some unmanageable beast that must be tamed, and I think that's what these courses/prep-regimens really prey on. Law school is a lot of work, but it's totally manageable (especially for people who've had time in the 'real world' and are used to a heavy workload). Paying $1200 to break yourself in for law school is just too much. You won't gain anything that you wouldn't get in your first week of classes (especially if you're taking a law preview at a school you won't be attending) and being ahead of the curve for the first week will be ABSOLUTELY MEANINGLESS.

Go ahead and spend the money if you like, but I think most everyone who's actually been through 1L will tell you to save it for beer.

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:23 pm

Last edited by 18488 on Fri May 16, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Wed May 14, 2008 5:22 pm

sbrown83 wrote:The naysayers make it sound like prepping for one week is going to drain all your enthusiasm and drive and wear you out. Seriously--law school is like a three-year marathon. Of course you don't want to be tired before a marathon, but you want to be familiar with the terrain, and at least be warmed up. You jog a slow half mile--you don't warm up with an all-out 5k dash. Seeing that law preview issues no grades, lasts one week, and has no incentive for competition, I can't see it except as analogous to the half-mile job before a marathon.
So you'd pay upwards of $1000 for a warm up lap before a marathon? I don't know that I agree with the people who say it will sap your enthusiasm... it might, but I haven't actually experienced one. It will, however, sap your bank account. There are far, far better ways to spend that money. You could probably afford (really, really useful) supplements and study aids for all 3 years of law school for the price of that single week. I'll give you three guesses as to which I think is a better way to spend the money.

Really, if you're going to do it, go ahead. It's your time and money, and you're welcome to use either however you see fit. No one is saying, "you can't do it," just, "you probably shouldn't." I hope you get some use out of it if you do end up going, but I doubt that will be the case.

boston101

New

Post by boston101 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:48 pm

mumbling2myself wrote:
sbrown83 wrote:The naysayers make it sound like prepping for one week is going to drain all your enthusiasm and drive and wear you out. Seriously--law school is like a three-year marathon. Of course you don't want to be tired before a marathon, but you want to be familiar with the terrain, and at least be warmed up. You jog a slow half mile--you don't warm up with an all-out 5k dash. Seeing that law preview issues no grades, lasts one week, and has no incentive for competition, I can't see it except as analogous to the half-mile job before a marathon.
So you'd pay upwards of $1000 for a warm up lap before a marathon? I don't know that I agree with the people who say it will sap your enthusiasm... it might, but I haven't actually experienced one. It will, however, sap your bank account. There are far, far better ways to spend that money. You could probably afford (really, really useful) supplements and study aids for all 3 years of law school for the price of that single week. I'll give you three guesses as to which I think is a better way to spend the money.

Really, if you're going to do it, go ahead. It's your time and money, and you're welcome to use either however you see fit. No one is saying, "you can't do it," just, "you probably shouldn't." I hope you get some use out of it if you do end up going, but I doubt that will be the case.
If the marathon costs 150k+ and is extremely difficult, I would pay the 1k for the warm-up...if I had the money.
Im really hoping I can find the money to do it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Wed May 14, 2008 6:07 pm

Well, the marathon metaphor actually doesn't really cut it. The "warm up" in the case of law preview probably won't have any impact on your performance, whereas it might in the case of actually running.

The orientation and first week of classes will be all you need for warming up for law school. Anything else would be unproductive.

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Thu May 15, 2008 8:17 pm

Well, I signed up. I'll let you all know if it was a waste of my tax refund. PM me if you are going to the Hastings Law Preview.

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Thu May 15, 2008 9:07 pm

babs22pa wrote:Well, I signed up. I'll let you all know if it was a waste of my tax refund. PM me if you are going to the Hastings Law Preview.
Hey! I thought we already established that your perfect score on the loan thingy meant you were getting straight HHs!

I've talked to a couple people who thought it helpful, if not substantively, then at least in getting into the mindset of a law student in a non-stressful setting. Can't hurt, right?

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Fri May 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Formerbruin wrote:
babs22pa wrote:Well, I signed up. I'll let you all know if it was a waste of my tax refund. PM me if you are going to the Hastings Law Preview.
Hey! I thought we already established that your perfect score on the loan thingy meant you were getting straight HHs!

I've talked to a couple people who thought it helpful, if not substantively, then at least in getting into the mindset of a law student in a non-stressful setting. Can't hurt, right?
SHHHHHH!!!! They're going to revoke your 1L card...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Fri May 16, 2008 7:17 pm

m
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Fri May 16, 2008 7:27 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boston101

New

Post by boston101 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:46 pm

TTT-LS wrote:CAN YOU PEOPLE NOT READ?

Also...
boston101 wrote:If the marathon costs 150k+ and is extremely difficult, I would pay the 1k for the warm-up...if I had the money. Im really hoping I can find the money to do it.
Logic Score: F-
We can read just fine. Thanks for checking though :wink:

All you do is post messages telling 0Ls not to prep. Whats the point of belittling those that choose to do the prep? Im starting to think you're purposely giving bad advice. You seem like that type.....

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Fri May 16, 2008 7:53 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

standre2008

New

Post by standre2008 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:59 pm

No matter how hard 2Lers continue to try and dissuade 0Lers from prepping, I don't think it's goin to matter. There are those who want to do EVERYTHING imaginable to prepare.

boston101

New

Post by boston101 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:01 pm

Corsair wrote:
boston101 wrote:All you do is post messages telling 0Ls not to prep. Whats the point of belittling those that choose to do the prep? Im starting to think you're purposely giving bad advice. You seem like that type.....
As is every other rising 2L who posts here who all say the same thing? I think the biggest endorsement has been that it is a nice placebo for people like yourself you are fretting, but even those who took it said they didn't think it actually helped.

So if you don't mind paying the money just to feel a little more confident, go for it. That is about the most you'll get out of it.
Ya, I see what youre saying. The 2Ls on here dont think its useful, though I do keep in mind that most did not take it. Actually, did anyone posting in this thread take it?

But, anyways, the TTT person was just obnoxious about it!

Im not obsessive about grades. Been there, done that. It got me an awesome UGPA that got me into law school, but I dont know if it was totally worth it. So, Im not in that mindset anymore. I want to take Law Preview so Im not completely lost when classes begin. I hate feeling like that.

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Fri May 16, 2008 11:01 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
Your decision is the practical equivalent of this one: http://www.spike.com/video/2863370?ns=1 (wait for the ad to pass). The only difference is that those guys look/sound cool when wasting their cash.
I look cool when wasting my money, thank you very much.

Cost-wise it's like adding on an additional week of law school. I've seen quite a few positive reviews on other boards- from people who actually took it. Is it a waste of money? Maybe. Would using the extra money during my trip to Vegas be a waste of money? Definitely.

Actually now that I think about it, I probably should have blown it in Vegas.

You can't really ignore that the median class rank of the students who take the course is 20%. Now the obvious conclusion is that it's self-selecting and the crazy people who take the course are the crazy people who study their butts off in law school and therefore do well. But I ask you this. If I don't take the course doesn't that mean I'm not one of those crazy people? Well, no, I could still be. But if I take the course I'll be assured that I am. And wouldn't that knowledge- and the belief that I will do well- really make it happen?

:D

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Sat May 17, 2008 12:43 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”