Legit how are you exam prepping Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Carly Jo

New

Legit how are you exam prepping

Post by Carly Jo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:07 am

1L here, did well on midterms. A’s and a B after curve.
Top 25 school. We start finals in about 3 weeks. Curious what others have found to be the most beneficial use of their time at this point. My outlines are done. Class is wrapping up but I’ve read ahead for the last few classes. Contracts, torts and civ pro. Struggling with civ pro- just didn’t find it interested. All essay finals. One professor doesn’t have any previous exams online. I’m tidying up my issue checklists. My fellow students seem to spend 10 hours a day in the library :o besides the sleep,
Eat well, workout advice, any thought or methods to use these last few weeks? I was the obnoxious undergrad student who never needed to study, so I’m struggling a bit to formulate a plan. Thanks!

Bronze

Re: Legit how are you exam prepping

Post by 265489164158 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:23 am

I would use the time to go to office hours and fill in any areas in your outline that you are not clear on. For Civ Pro, if you can watch Richard Freer's lectures for 1Ls on the Barbri website, do. They are incredibly helpful at sketching in the edges of the big picture concept. Also, make yourself flashcards (if you find that helpful) or flowcharts - I like to use a large whiteboard or poster board for this.

Even if your professor does not have past exams posted, look at other past exams from your school, as they will probably be similar. For Civ Pro in particular, it is helpful to write out model answers or how you will address each type of issue you have learned: pjx, smjx, pleading standard, choice of law, etc. Get your rule statements very concise and locked in your brain so you can get them out on paper as fast as possible.

Fwiw, I did all of these things and have not ever received below an A on a final in law school. Good luck!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:39 am

Practice exams are the single best use of your time as they will help you get comfortable reciting the black letter law and applying it to fact patterns.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:46 pm

This.
acr wrote:Practice exams are the single best use of your time as they will help you get comfortable reciting the black letter law and applying it to fact patterns.

nls336

New

Post by nls336 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:17 pm

really really recommend typing all the rules from your outline out until you have them memorized and can type them fairly quickly/automatically for your exams. it'll really help you meet the time crunches that you'll face. another good supplement is the law in a flash series--gives you mini hypos on flash cards for the rules you'll need. they're really great for spotting issues and testing yourself when you're absolutely fried. west academic, too. it's never a bad idea to just listen to the audio tapes like sum and substance and take notes on the areas you might have missed/didn't fully get in class.

i know some people don't love using supplements but they can be really helpful if you're trying to get used to spotting issues and memorize rules.

paradiselost9

New

Post by paradiselost9 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:06 pm

I really like the name Carly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”