Transfer 2L Looking for Summer Associate Position Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TransferLaw

New

Transfer 2L Looking for Summer Associate Position

Post by TransferLaw » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi all, I recently transferred law schools as a 2L. My experience has been great so far, except that I was admitted after the OCI process ended. For the last few weeks, I have been directly emailing firms and contacting anyone that might be able to help pass my resume along for a summer associate position. I recently connected with a lawyer who connected me with a NY firm. She had been a partner there for many years before moving to another firm. After having received my transcript/resume, HR contacted me to schedule an interview at the firm a few days later. My GPA is below the cutoff for this firm, so they were definitely doing the former partner a favor.

I went in a few days later and felt that the interview went extremely well and that I would be surprised if I didn't get an offer. However, it has been 8 days (with a day-long Jewish holiday in between). I am growing concerned that this interview was done as a courtesy to the former partner and that I will be receiving a rejection letter soon. I am trying to remind myself that with OCI over, the deadlines are a little bit different both for me and for the firm. The firm also asked me during my interview if I was under any deadlines imposed by other firms, and I said that I was not yet (they know that I transferred). Should I stop freaking out or do we think that the firm is just unwilling to dip below their GPA cutoff? Further, did anyone receive acceptances after a week? Thanks!

albanach

Gold

Re: Transfer 2L Looking for Summer Associate Position

Post by albanach » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:54 am

TransferLaw wrote: Should I stop freaking out or do we think that the firm is just unwilling to dip below their GPA cutoff? Further, did anyone receive acceptances after a week? Thanks!
You shouldn't be freaking out, you should be working with career services to find other opportunities until such time as you have a firm offer.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”