Examples and Explanations latest editions

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
broadwaymusicals

Examples and Explanations latest editions

Postby broadwaymusicals » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:21 pm

Do the new editions contain any substantive changes or just cosmetic changes? I can get versions from about 5 years ago for a couple bucks. The newest ones however run about 20 bucks used. Is there any reason I should buy the new ones?

nonunique

Re: Examples and Explanations latest editions

Postby nonunique » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:29 pm

New cases. In the instance of CivPro, definitely worth it (Twombly, etc.). In the case of Property, probably not.

Think_lax86

Postby Think_lax86 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:09 am

+bump

Does anyone else have any comments about this? the older versions are significantly cheaper... but are they less useful than the newer versions?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:15 am

Unless you're someone who relies on supplements for learning literally everything, I'd recommend getting the older, cheaper versions. You should be able to figure out newer developments, like Twombly, from reading the casebook.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:32 am

There was a recent ruling by SCOTUS that eliminated the muscle test as a part of determining a corporation's principal place of business. I don't know the name of the case, but my CP prof mentioned it in class last Tuesday. I imagine that for new developments like this, where there is a literal test involved, getting the new version of the CivPro E&E may be more beneficial. This is because the questions you will receive in the Examples section will be different. For other areas of law, unless there are equally dramatic decisions that will bring about a change in the Examples questions, then it won't matter.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:48 am

I think as a general rule, there are more or less "static" subjects where the law doesn't change much (torts, contracts, property), and there are more "dynamic" subjects where the law changes significantly over time (civpro, conlaw, etc).

I would say old editions would be fine for the former, but less useful for the latter.
Last edited by imchuckbass58 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

upgrade

Postby upgrade » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:19 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:I think as a generale, there are more or less "static" subjects where the law doesn't change much (torts, contracts, property), and there are more "dynamic" subjects where the law changes significantly over time (civpro, conlaw, etc).

I would say old editions would be fine for the former, but less useful for the latter.

Agreed. Add tax courses to the list where the new version is advised.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:24 pm

upgrade wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:I think as a generale, there are more or less "static" subjects where the law doesn't change much (torts, contracts, property), and there are more "dynamic" subjects where the law changes significantly over time (civpro, conlaw, etc).

Is there really a tax E&E?

Think_lax86

Postby Think_lax86 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:54 pm

So we are in agreement that the older versions for (torts, contracts, property), will do me just as well as the newer versions, but as for (civpro, conlaw, etc), than it would smart to get the newer versions? Also should I just be getting the glannon E&E's because from what I am hearing those are the best? I cant find a glannon E&E book for contracts, is blum ok?

I saw a recommendation saying this was a good combination... is this the general consensus?

Civil Procedure: Examples & Explanations (Glannon)
The Law of Torts: Examples & Explanations (Glannon)
Contracts: Examples & Explanations (Blum)
Property: Examples & Explanations (Burke)
Criminal Law: Examples & Explanations (Singer)
Professional Responsibility: Examples & Explanations (Wendel)
Constitutional Law: Examples & Explanations (Ides & May)

And as for Hornbooks go, should I wait to see what my professor suggests? if not I have also heard that this combination is good:

Torts (Prosser & Keeton)
Criminal Law (La Fave)
Contracts (Calamari & Perill)
Civil Procedure (Friedenthal, Kane & Miller)
Constitutional Law (Nowak & Rotunda)

thoughts? suggestions?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:01 pm

Think_lax86 wrote:

So we are in agreement that the older versions for (torts, contracts, property), will do me just as well as the newer versions, but as for (civpro, conlaw, etc), than it would smart to get the newer versions? Also should I just be getting the glannon E&E's because from what I am hearing those are the best? I cant find a glannon E&E book for contracts, is blum ok?

I saw a recommendation saying this was a good combination... is this the general consensus?

Civil Procedure: Examples & Explanations (Glannon)
The Law of Torts: Examples & Explanations (Glannon)
Contracts: Examples & Explanations (Blum)
Property: Examples & Explanations (Burke)
Criminal Law: Examples & Explanations (Singer)
Professional Responsibility: Examples & Explanations (Wendel)
Constitutional Law: Examples & Explanations (Ides & May)

And as for Hornbooks go, should I wait to see what my professor suggests? if not I have also heard that this combination is good:

Torts (Prosser & Keeton)
Criminal Law (La Fave)
Contracts (Calamari & Perill)
Civil Procedure (Friedenthal, Kane & Miller)
Constitutional Law (Nowak & Rotunda)

thoughts? suggestions?

Don't get supplements until you start school. You won't even know if you need them or not until you get a feel for the classes and the professor.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Cavalier wrote:Don't get supplements until you start school. You won't even know if you need them or not until you get a feel for the classes and the professor.

Agree with this - certain professors teach in certain ways and will recommend different supplements.

That said, I think the Glannon civpro E&E is good no matter who you have.

Also, I've heard some negative reviews about the Property and Crim E&Es. I'm using Sprankling ("Understanding Property") and Dressler ("Understanding Criminal Law").

Also, for conlaw, Chemerinsky is pretty much the consensus best supplement.

upgrade

Postby upgrade » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:19 pm

Renzo wrote:
upgrade wrote:

Yes, why would you doubt its existence?

Think_lax86

Postby Think_lax86 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:02 pm

how far back is too far for the civ pro E&E? I think the latest edition is 6th edition but I am seeing edition 4 for like $1 half.com and edition 5 for like around $10-$20... while the 6th edition can be from $25-$30

and when we buy these, if they have some highlighting and writing in them is that bad? should we spend the extra like $10-$15 and get them new?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:13 pm

upgrade wrote:
Renzo wrote:
upgrade wrote:

Yes, why would you doubt its existence?

I don't really, it just seems like anything that code-driven would be less amenable to the E&E format than common law classes.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:25 pm

I found the property E&E very helpful for RAP stuff, but maybe that's just me.

Also- I rarely read E&E's. I use it mainly to brush up on jurisdiction stuff for Civ Pro b/c the casebook is lacking when it comes to explaining itself in this regard and I use the property E&E. I haven't cracked the Torts one yet or the Contracts one, well ever really. I don't even have one for Crim Law but my professor recommends Understanding Property by Dressler. It just seems kind of self-explanatory but I will definitely hit it up before finals.

upgrade

Postby upgrade » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Renzo wrote:I don't really, it just seems like anything that code-driven would be less amenable to the E&E format than common law classes.

That's where the E&Es are the most useful, in my opinion. It's difficult, for me, to get a big picture understanding by just reading statutes that have no clear organization and cross references all over the place.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”