Should I Do it?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Nervousprospect

New

Should I Do it?

Postby Nervousprospect » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:50 am

Trying to figure out if I should go to law school. please help, having a sort of quarter life crisis and want it figured out before LSAT season. I’m a junior with a 3.9 GPA, URM in more than one way, compelling life story, and pretty sure I could do well on the LSAT. I don’t know if I want to be a lawyer, leaning towards no, but not really sure what else I would do - i’m bad at math so an MBA or MPP is out of question. I think I could get into HYS, which seems like the only schools where it’s even a little acceptable for someone to attend if they aren’t sure they want to be a lawyer. I do think politics are interesting, but definitely could make a foray into that without a legal degree. The only thing is, I genuinely enjoy academic learning. I would get a PhD if I didn’t hate research/teaching. I think the theoretical concepts - social sciences, history, philosophy, etc that HYS are known for would be really interesting to learn. But is this enough to outweigh huge amounts of debt, the fact that so many people say law school is horrible, and a strong likelihood that I won’t end up being a lawyer? is it really true that a even a HYS law degree would look bad for “non-J.D preferred jobs”? (mind you I am not interested in anything remotely close to STEM). please provide any and all insight you have!

northwood

Re: Should I Do it?

Postby northwood » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:39 am

Work in a law firm for a bit to get more of an understanding as to what a lawyers day is like. Don’t go to law school just to go to school or stay in school. It’s a professional school designed for people who want to enter that profession. If you don’t want to be a lawyer, then don’t go to law school.

nixy

Bronze

Postby nixy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 am

Don't go to law school if you don't think you want to be a lawyer. Working at a law firm is a good idea, or just go get random jobs (you should have options especially if you start now, you have an excellent GPA and you have another year of school) and figure out what you like and what you want to do and what you're good at. The world doesn't boil down to PhD/STEM/JD, and law school isn't going anywhere - you can always go back in a few years if you decide you want to.

Nervousprospect

New

Postby Nervousprospect » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:21 pm

northwood wrote:Work in a law firm for a bit to get more of an understanding as to what a lawyers day is like. Don’t go to law school just to go to school or stay in school. It’s a professional school designed for people who want to enter that profession. If you don’t want to be a lawyer, then don’t go to law school.

Does this apply even to HYS? I've been given the impression that those schools don't really fit that narrative.

Nervousprospect

New

Postby Nervousprospect » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:49 pm

nixy wrote:Don't go to law school if you don't think you want to be a lawyer. Working at a law firm is a good idea, or just go get random jobs (you should have options especially if you start now, you have an excellent GPA and you have another year of school) and figure out what you like and what you want to do and what you're good at. The world doesn't boil down to PhD/STEM/JD, and law school isn't going anywhere - you can always go back in a few years if you decide you want to.
nixy wrote:Don't go to law school if you don't think you want to be a lawyer. Working at a law firm is a good idea, or just go get random jobs (you should have options especially if you start now, you have an excellent GPA and you have another year of school) and figure out what you like and what you want to do and what you're good at. The world doesn't boil down to PhD/STEM/JD, and law school isn't going anywhere - you can always go back in a few years if you decide you want to.

Does the "don't go to law school if you don't want to be a lawyer" still apply to HYS? I was kind of under the impression that they are an exception to the rule.

anonymouse919

New

Postby anonymouse919 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:40 pm

I think this is a common misconception about HYS. The vast majority of people who go to those schools wind up being lawyers. The institutions (from the professors through the career counselors) are set up to train students to be lawyers and help them find jobs doing just that. (Things may be slightly different at Y, where people seem to follow non-traditional paths far more frequently than anywhere else.)

If you don't want to be a lawyer, attending even the most prestigious law school just isn't going to help you that much towards whatever you do want to do. Of course, it is a gold star on your resume, but I think you're better off with three years experience in your desired field than an excellent credential in a field you don't want to enter.

nixy

Bronze

Postby nixy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:07 pm

anonymouse919 wrote:I think this is a common misconception about HYS. The vast majority of people who go to those schools wind up being lawyers. The institutions (from the professors through the career counselors) are set up to train students to be lawyers and help them find jobs doing just that. (Things may be slightly different at Y, where people seem to follow non-traditional paths far more frequently than anywhere else.)

If you don't want to be a lawyer, attending even the most prestigious law school just isn't going to help you that much towards whatever you do want to do. Of course, it is a gold star on your resume, but I think you're better off with three years experience in your desired field than an excellent credential in a field you don't want to enter.

^all this.

It's still a professional degree intended to prepare you to become licensed to enter a specific profession. It's not for general learning or a generic degree or a continuation of college.

earlgreytea

New

Postby earlgreytea » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:42 pm

take the LSAT but probably work a year or two before you matriculate.
You'll be more competitive as an law school applicant as well as a big law applicant too. Plus you will be able to figure out if this is the career path you really want!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students?