Any advice for transferring/moving with a partner? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LawSchoolGeeky

New

Any advice for transferring/moving with a partner?

Post by LawSchoolGeeky » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:47 pm

I'm going to be transferring from a west coast school to an east coast school with my partner but I've never coordinated a move with another person before. He has some interviews lined up but doesn't want to move until he has a job secured. We live together and were planning on getting an apartment together but it seems a little difficult if he might or might not have a job which means may or may not be coming out at the same time as me.

If anyone else has any experience with this and any tips or advice they could share that helped make the transition and process smoother for them I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

magikarp

New

Re: Any advice for transferring/moving with a partner?

Post by magikarp » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:09 pm

I don't think this qualifies as advice or a tip, but I can tell you that you're not alone in trying to figure this out. My gf and I went through something very similar: we lived together, I moved far away for law school, she didn't come immediately, and we weren't sure she would come at all. I chose a neighborhood in the new city that I felt we'd both enjoy. The apartment itself was kind of shitty, but I could afford it on my own, at least for a year. We talked frequently about her plans, including what made sense for her in terms of her career. Ultimately, after a few months apart, she left her job in the city where we'd lived, joined me, and started looking work in our new city. (She works in a quasi-academic field where jobs are relatively hard to come by.) It took a while, and it was tough. But three years later, we're still together, I've graduated, and she has a great job. The experience was really challenging, but the same things that can get you through any other relationship challenge - empathy, generosity, trust, and a sense of humor, I guess - can get you through this.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”