Headed to Southwestern this fall- Advice on these teachers? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thepaperchase

New

Headed to Southwestern this fall- Advice on these teachers?

Post by thepaperchase » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi all,

As the title says, I just wanted to know if any 2L, 3L's, or alum from Southwestern in LA has any input/advice/recommendations/possible outlines/supplements geared toward these teachers. FYI already checked Rate my professor's but looking for anything more specific if anyone is willing to chim in. Also, my interest would be trial work (personal injury, employment matters) to give you an idea. I know this is very question specific so anything is appreciative, thank you very much.

Yokoyama-Civil Procedure I

Waisman- Contracts I

Vanlandingham- Criminal Law

Academic Skills Lab- Rogers

Property- Shfiroff

estefanchanning

Bronze

Re: Headed to Southwestern this fall- Advice on these teachers?

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:38 pm

1- google outline depot
2- buy the most updated/complete outline for each of those professors
3- DON'T READ THE CASES
4- thoroughly comb through those outlines and edit them based on the professor's lecture
5- re-review your outlines 6-7 times, each time condensing them little by little
6- by exam time, you should have everything near-memorized.
7- ace your exams
8- transfer.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:42 pm

Don’t go. Aren’t they under Aba sanctions and likely to be shut down? It’s a dumpster fire. Don’t spend a dollar going there

thepaperchase

New

Post by thepaperchase » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:44 am

I'm pretty sure they're not despite them being unranked

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:16 am

get out before they have any of your money

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thepaperchase

New

Post by thepaperchase » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:38 am

estefanchanning wrote:1- google outline depot
2- buy the most updated/complete outline for each of those professors
3- DON'T READ THE CASES
4- thoroughly comb through those outlines and edit them based on the professor's lecture
5- re-review your outlines 6-7 times, each time condensing them little by little
6- by exam time, you should have everything near-memorized.
7- ace your exams
8- transfer.
@estefanchanning

1) why not read the cases?

2) Did you go to SW?

momoyome

Bronze

Post by momoyome » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:52 pm

I’ll bite. I know this is an old tread, but OP if you check it’ll I’ll give you my experiences. I had pretty much your schedule last year.

Yokoyama- no PowerPoints. This is a deal breaker for a lot of people. Fucking awesome educator though. He is a mess of a person (I literally felt uncomfortable in his office because it’s just piles of papers), don’t try to shake his hand since he seems to be a bit weird about it, but he may be the best teacher you ever have. Civ Pro can suck for a lot of people but he is entertaining. Good jokes. Doesn’t rush through material. Gives meh feedback, but will give feedback. His writing is terrible.

Waisman- if Yoko isn’t your favorite because of the ppt thing, then Waisman will be your favorite. Very dedicated to teaching. Will sit with you and go over exams. Very calm, organized man. Go to OH, he gets very excited about students visiting. His PowerPoints will really help you learn how to outline. I didn’t know what the fuck I was doing and then started from the ppts and just wow. He loves his dad jokes.

Vanlandingham- wonderful woman. Incomprehensible. Exams she hands out during the semester weren’t anything like her final. She really freaking cares, she will stay late in office hours, will build a personal relationship. Has very cute kids.

Rodgers - I didn’t have her but she kinda reminded me of a robot

Shaff- good lord. Go to every office hour you can. Do not hand write notes for this class, no matter what Academic skills tells you. I made the mistake and I paid for it dearly. Start studying his exams ASAP. He has a huge catalogue and they should be your main focus. Do not underestimate his huge exam catalogue. He’s a nice man, but fuck his class. This class should be your top priority though because it’s 4 units and will have the biggest impact on your GPA.

If you need anything, let me know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”