Leave internship? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bambi592

New

Leave internship?

Post by bambi592 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:34 am

Hi guys. I'm contemplating leaving my internship (started a week ago) for another one. I'm currently a summer intern for a federal judge. I know that you're never supposed to renege on a judge. However, my circumstances may be a bit different. I'm a rising 3L at a T-14. My GPA sucks (3.1) and I struck out during OCI last year. As you can imagine, the summer job search was fairly difficult. I got my current position through a combination of rigorous networking, personal contacts, and a pretty solid interview. The judge normally only accepts 2 interns, but made an exception for me.

Earlier this week I got an offer for a summer internship from a large pharmaceutical company. My first instinct is to stay with my judge, but I'm really tempted to accept the offer. First of all, I summered for a judge in a state court last year. I know federal courts are more prestigious, but I feel like I'm doing the exact same work as I did last year. Frankly, I'm bored out of my mind and worried about the "redundancy" with regards to professional skills and development on my resume. This internship is unpaid. The offer I'm sitting on is paid and I desperately need the money. My commute to my current internship is 2 hours (car+train) one way. It's expensive as well as mentally/physically exhausting. On the other hand, the internship I'm considering is a 20 min drive from my house. The 2 other interns are 1Ls, so I definitely feel like that old man at work that got left behind or never "made it."

I also think that an internship with the pharmaceutical company matches with my transcript and resume more than the judicial internship. I have an interest in IP and I've taken just about every IP course I can at my school (patents, trademarks, advertising, copyright,IP in world trade, copyright internet legislation seminar, etc..) The pharmaceutical company would provide me with some much needed experience in the corporate/private sector. My ultimate goal is to practice in-house. The most common route is to go in-house after practicing at a law firm. I know the Big-Law boat sailed and 3L OCI is a joke. However, I think this internship may give me a bit of an edge regardless of how small it may be. If anything, it would provide me with experience in the field of law that I've been studying for the last 2 years. Thoughts?

If it helps here are my "stats"

GPA: 3.1
URM
Secondary Journal
Member of Executive Board for a student org
Co-Founder of a small startup

RCSOB657

Gold

Re: Leave internship?

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:38 am

This is one of those times on which I'd ask for a sit down with your judge. Explain all of this, thank him for going out of his way to help you, and ask his advice.

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:58 pm

If you are an extra intern then the office may be ok without you.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:54 pm

dropout wrote:If you are an extra intern then the office may be ok without you.
Why are you posting advice when you have dropped out/been kicked out of the worst law schools in the country (three times already)??

Stop. Your old account wasn't funny. This one isn't funny. Go away.

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:20 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
dropout wrote:If you are an extra intern then the office may be ok without you.
Why are you posting advice when you have dropped out/been kicked out of the worst law schools in the country (three times already)??

Stop. Your old account wasn't funny. This one isn't funny. Go away.
I'm here to stay budy. I believe my insight was worth noting. Try to understand that I dropped out once because i was homeless. I dropped out the second time because i had a better offer, which i missed because i was in the hospital when classes started. The final time I made a mistake on an application due to misinterpreting the schools policy and the school kicked me out because evidently even a 166 lsat wont give you three shots at an aba approved law school. Please don't be one of those people who wont tolerate people who have been through hard times, especially those who are disabled.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:13 pm

dropout wrote: I believe my insight was worth noting.
Insight implies experience. Got any experience clerking for a federal judge?
Please don't be one of those people who wont tolerate people who have been through hard times, especially those who are disabled.
Oh puhleeze. :roll: Calling you out for talking out your ass is hardly "kicking a person while they're down", let alone "ableism".

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:23 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
dropout wrote: I believe my insight was worth noting.
Insight implies experience. Got any experience clerking for a federal judge?
Please don't be one of those people who wont tolerate people who have been through hard times, especially those who are disabled.
Oh puhleeze. :roll: Calling you out for talking out your ass is hardly "kicking a person while they're down", let alone "ableism".
How does it hurt to offer my 2 cents? It was a valid "point." notice how said "may be" ok without a third intern.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:32 pm

dropout wrote: How does it hurt to offer my 2 cents? It was a valid "point." notice how said "may be" ok without a third intern.
It clutters the thread with a worthless opinion. You wouldn't even know if it were a valid point or not because you don't know the first thing about the situation. Hedging your opinion makes it no more valid or valuable.

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:44 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
dropout wrote: How does it hurt to offer my 2 cents? It was a valid "point." notice how said "may be" ok without a third intern.
It clutters the thread with a worthless opinion. You wouldn't even know if it were a valid point or not because you don't know the first thing about the situation. Hedging your opinion makes it no more valid or valuable.
The main reason why employers hate it when employees leave is because they leave the business short handed. It was just a principle which i thought i would share and leave OP to decide if it was applicable to his situation. It doesn't hurt to bounce ideas off of people.

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:50 am

First of all, congrats on the offer! Now, I would definitely sit down and talk with the judge about this. Make your situation clear and ask him what you should do. You're right that in terms of professional growth, the pharmaceutical company would be better unless you have a strong interest in pursuing the judicial field. But you also don't want to burn any bridges, especially since the judge made an exception for you and your personal contacts helped you a bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”