Tips for being more "active"? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MrSam

Bronze

Tips for being more "active"?

Post by MrSam » Sat May 19, 2018 9:32 pm

I'll be a 2L at a T14, next semester. I've decided that I am not going to enter my school's write-on competition.I have absolutely no interest in being on a journal, and not all that interested in Big Law. My biggest regret is being a total hermit my first year (i.e. went to class, then straight home...rinse and repeat) and not running for any leadership positions. That said, I plan on externing in both the Fall and Spring semesters. Aside from that, I'll just be taking classes in my desired field.
Am I shooting myself in the foot by not joining LR or a secondary journal? Do you guys and gals have any tips on what I could do, aside from journal, to be more active?
P.S. I intend on joining a clinic during my 3L year.

Sacred Cow

New

Re: Tips for being more "active"?

Post by Sacred Cow » Sun May 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Volunteer somewhere. Talk to your school's pro bono advisor if you can't think of anywhere.

BasilHallward

Silver

Re: Tips for being more "active"?

Post by BasilHallward » Mon May 21, 2018 12:38 am

MrSam wrote:I'll be a 2L at a T14, next semester. I've decided that I am not going to enter my school's write-on competition.I have absolutely no interest in being on a journal, and not all that interested in Big Law. My biggest regret is being a total hermit my first year (i.e. went to class, then straight home...rinse and repeat) and not running for any leadership positions. That said, I plan on externing in both the Fall and Spring semesters. Aside from that, I'll just be taking classes in my desired field.
Am I shooting myself in the foot by not joining LR or a secondary journal? Do you guys and gals have any tips on what I could do, aside from journal, to be more active?
P.S. I intend on joining a clinic during my 3L year.

It sounds like you don't wanna be that active, so why are seeking advice? You should probably figure out what you wanna do for post-grad employment. I think a journal (even secondary) can be useful. You kinda get out what you put into it. FWIW, my paid 2L and 3L semester gig at a mid-sized law firm came from a journal connection. This was invaluable.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”