Grade Appeal Advice Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Darkkmano

New

Grade Appeal Advice

Post by Darkkmano » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Hello All, I am in need of some advice pertaining to potentially disputing a grade I was given. Long story short, my Professor required a final paper to be submitted (printed and handed in), I submitted said paper and then met with him in person to go over his comments on the paper. During the meeting he claimed the paper was missing some key components, I asked to see the paper and he seemingly lost the last 2 pages of my paper (hence the lack of a conclusion and required legislative proposal). I informed him of this and passed the paper back to him at which point he looked at it again and told me to re-submit the paper, this time electronically and he would re-grade it based off the mistake of grading the incomplete paper. I submitted and he confirmed he would re-grade it via email. He then proceeded to claim he graded it and submitted a grade change request.

I contacted my school and no change request was submitted. I have saved emails, text messages, and a voicemail all from him claiming he boosted the grade due to the correct paper being graded. Once I received confirmation no grade change was submitted I contacted the Associate Dean to initiate the appeal process. I provided a detailed history as well as direct quotes from the Professor as well.

The AD tried telling me the student handbook outlines the policy and grades can only be changed for mechanical reasons and she is sure the Professor is aware of said policy. I replied informing her I was aware of said handbook but my situation qualified under one of the subsections regarding lost or missing exam portions. She then replied claiming it was only intended for those submitting a blue book and asked me to provide the sheet I got for submitting my paper and if it calls out the number of pages I submitted (it does not).

I feel as though I am wasting my time going through the AD as it seems she started off wanting to dismiss it and is now asking me to provide proof she knows I cannot provide (the submission sheet specifying the number of pages of my paper). She has seemingly ignored all of the evidence of the Professor claiming he submitted a change request and has ignored all evidence of the Professor basically admitting to the error of losing a portion of my paper. Does anyone have any advice for how to proceed? I am incredibly frustrated and feel no matter what proof I submit she will claim it isn't enough.

It's incredibly frustrating because it seems his error is being dismissed as if it didn't negatively impact my grade and if any student at any law school displayed the kind of dishonesty he has displayed they would be expelled. Any helpful advice about how to proceed would be greatly appreciated,

IPProf

New

Re: Grade Appeal Advice

Post by IPProf » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Is the professor aware that the grade hasn't been changed? It's unclear from your post. If not, then bring him into the conversation. He's likely to have more ability to get the associate dean moving than you are.

Has the professor told you what the grade should be?

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:35 pm

IPProf wrote:Is the professor aware that the grade hasn't been changed? It's unclear from your post. If not, then bring him into the conversation. He's likely to have more ability to get the associate dean moving than you are.

Agree you need to loop the prof in ASAP. The administration is much less likely to be combative with them than with you. I would meet with them in person and explain what's been happening - it's always harder to turn down/ignore someone in person, especially when you are partly in the wrong, than it is over email.
Hopefully, the professor will stand up for you on this one.

Darkkmano

New

Post by Darkkmano » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:39 pm

IPProf wrote:Is the professor aware that the grade hasn't been changed? It's unclear from your post. If not, then bring him into the conversation. He's likely to have more ability to get the associate dean moving than you are.

The Professor claims he changed it to the grade I currently have on record. However, I have always had that grade (coincidentally grades were released the morning I met with him and he told me to submit the paper electronically. He claims he did submit the request to change the grade but there is no record of any grade change. Basically, for whatever reason he is lying and continuing said lie for some reason.

IPProf

New

Post by IPProf » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:06 pm

Darkkmano wrote:

The Professor claims he changed it to the grade I currently have on record. However, I have always had that grade (coincidentally grades were released the morning I met with him and he told me to submit the paper electronically. He claims he did submit the request to change the grade but there is no record of any grade change. Basically, for whatever reason he is lying and continuing said lie for some reason.
He’s lying...or he screwed up the grade submission form. Or the grade submission form was rejected and he wasn’t told. Or any of several other snafus. I’d check on those possibilities first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Darkkmano

New

Post by Darkkmano » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:04 am

He swears up and down that he submitted it and the grade I currently have is the boosted one. I just want the law school to look into the matter and act accordingly but the AD is acting like I am asking for a grade change with my proof. I'd rather use all the internal mechanisms for the process but it appears there is a gap in the school policy in regards to Professor error. It looks like everything is dumped into the "mechanical error" bucket.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Darkkmano wrote:He swears up and down that he submitted it and the grade I currently have is the boosted one. I just want the law school to look into the matter and act accordingly but the AD is acting like I am asking for a grade change with my proof. I'd rather use all the internal mechanisms for the process but it appears there is a gap in the school policy in regards to Professor error. It looks like everything is dumped into the "mechanical error" bucket.
Sooo.....the professor thinks the grade you currently have on record is the right grade? Then I'm afraid you're SOL.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:48 pm

I'd schedule a meeting with the actual dean and bring any proof you have with you.

Darkkmano

New

Post by Darkkmano » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:32 pm

I am trying to meet in person but for some reason the Associate Dean keeps requesting the exam submission sheet I filled out when I dropped off the essay exam. It's frustrating since of the three copies the student only receives one while the other two are retained by the school. I feel like I am just getting busy work from the AD instead of the school actually investigating. At what point does the burden of proof shift?! I have emails with the Professor telling me to submit the paper due to the error yet the AD wants me to get the submission paperwork which doesn't even specify the number of pages submitted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”