Sending my paper to be published in Law Reviews

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
peapodthesquirrel

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 am

Sending my paper to be published in Law Reviews

Postby peapodthesquirrel » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 am

Hi all!

I'm a law student looking to publish my paper in law reviews. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for this process. Are there any journals in particular where other students have successfully placed papers? Are there any journals that don't automatically discount you because you're a student? What have been your experiences?

Do any current law review/specialty journal editors have any advice/suggestions?

OneShot2009

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Sending my paper to be published in Law Reviews

Postby OneShot2009 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:49 pm

I submitted my article broadly through ExpressO. The site was great about letting you know if a journal did not publish student works. You pay per submission. You can avoid paying if you choose to submit through email directly to the email, but it was easier to go through ExpressO and keep track using that platform.

I submitted to about 20 journals. I received and accepted 1 offer. My advice would be to target the general journals, but also make sure to target smaller niche journals that are relevant to your topic. Good luck!

geedubslaw222

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Re: Sending my paper to be published in Law Reviews

Postby geedubslaw222 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:54 pm

OneShot2009 wrote:I submitted my article broadly through ExpressO. The site was great about letting you know if a journal did not publish student works. You pay per submission. You can avoid paying if you choose to submit through email directly to the email, but it was easier to go through ExpressO and keep track using that platform.

I submitted to about 20 journals. I received and accepted 1 offer. My advice would be to target the general journals, but also make sure to target smaller niche journals that are relevant to your topic. Good luck!


How do you submit generally to law reviews? it seemed to automatically ask me to narrow my topic before I was able to choose them

objctnyrhnr

Bronze
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: Sending my paper to be published in Law Reviews

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:16 pm

geedubslaw222 wrote:
OneShot2009 wrote:I submitted my article broadly through ExpressO. The site was great about letting you know if a journal did not publish student works. You pay per submission. You can avoid paying if you choose to submit through email directly to the email, but it was easier to go through ExpressO and keep track using that platform.

I submitted to about 20 journals. I received and accepted 1 offer. My advice would be to target the general journals, but also make sure to target smaller niche journals that are relevant to your topic. Good luck!


How do you submit generally to law reviews? it seemed to automatically ask me to narrow my topic before I was able to choose them


I found a lot of success sending individual emails and keeping track, myself, in a spreadsheet. It was certainly time consuming, but paid off. I succeeded in tt and ttt law reviews and Tier 1 secondary journals. Total maybe 5 publication offers per piece, give or take.

geedubslaw222

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Re: Sending my paper to be published in Law Reviews

Postby geedubslaw222 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:24 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
geedubslaw222 wrote:
OneShot2009 wrote:I submitted my article broadly through ExpressO. The site was great about letting you know if a journal did not publish student works. You pay per submission. You can avoid paying if you choose to submit through email directly to the email, but it was easier to go through ExpressO and keep track using that platform.

I submitted to about 20 journals. I received and accepted 1 offer. My advice would be to target the general journals, but also make sure to target smaller niche journals that are relevant to your topic. Good luck!


How do you submit generally to law reviews? it seemed to automatically ask me to narrow my topic before I was able to choose them


I found a lot of success sending individual emails and keeping track, myself, in a spreadsheet. It was certainly time consuming, but paid off. I succeeded in tt and ttt law reviews and Tier 1 secondary journals. Total maybe 5 publication offers per piece, give or take.


What is the general turnaround time for journals in getting back to you?

objctnyrhnr

Bronze
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: Sending my paper to be published in Law Reviews

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:48 pm

geedubslaw222 wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
geedubslaw222 wrote:
OneShot2009 wrote:I submitted my article broadly through ExpressO. The site was great about letting you know if a journal did not publish student works. You pay per submission. You can avoid paying if you choose to submit through email directly to the email, but it was easier to go through ExpressO and keep track using that platform.

I submitted to about 20 journals. I received and accepted 1 offer. My advice would be to target the general journals, but also make sure to target smaller niche journals that are relevant to your topic. Good luck!


How do you submit generally to law reviews? it seemed to automatically ask me to narrow my topic before I was able to choose them


I found a lot of success sending individual emails and keeping track, myself, in a spreadsheet. It was certainly time consuming, but paid off. I succeeded in tt and ttt law reviews and Tier 1 secondary journals. Total maybe 5 publication offers per piece, give or take.


What is the general turnaround time for journals in getting back to you?


A week, give or take. I think it’s likely that some never did. Some will email you to thank you then give you a timeline.

geedubslaw222

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Re: Sending my paper to be published in Law Reviews

Postby geedubslaw222 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:02 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
geedubslaw222 wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
geedubslaw222 wrote:
OneShot2009 wrote:I submitted my article broadly through ExpressO. The site was great about letting you know if a journal did not publish student works. You pay per submission. You can avoid paying if you choose to submit through email directly to the email, but it was easier to go through ExpressO and keep track using that platform.

I submitted to about 20 journals. I received and accepted 1 offer. My advice would be to target the general journals, but also make sure to target smaller niche journals that are relevant to your topic. Good luck!


How do you submit generally to law reviews? it seemed to automatically ask me to narrow my topic before I was able to choose them


I found a lot of success sending individual emails and keeping track, myself, in a spreadsheet. It was certainly time consuming, but paid off. I succeeded in tt and ttt law reviews and Tier 1 secondary journals. Total maybe 5 publication offers per piece, give or take.


What is the general turnaround time for journals in getting back to you?


A week, give or take. I think it’s likely that some never did. Some will email you to thank you then give you a timeline.


Should I be concerned if its been a couple weeks and I haven't heard anything either way?

objctnyrhnr

Bronze
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: Sending my paper to be published in Law Reviews

Postby objctnyrhnr » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:33 pm

No, that’ll happen. You should be submitting to enough journals that one lack of response doesn’t “concern” you.



Return to “Forum for Law School Students?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], objctnyrhnr and 24 guests