Advice. Feeling Burned Out and Health Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Vicksburg910

New

Advice. Feeling Burned Out and Health

Post by Vicksburg910 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 am

Hello all. I am a 2L and had been having an excellent run of it in law school. Im president of several clubs, heavily involved, and had a great circle of friends. I am came down with a severe case of the flu at the start of January- spent 4 days in the hospital during the first week of the semester. I had some underlying cancer treatment issues that hadnt bothered me in years kicked up by the flu. Spent the last month with blood sugars swings in the 300 and 400s that left me zoned out and fatigued- not to mention pretty sick when they happened. I don't have diabetes so the doctors are trying to figure out how exactly to address it.

Needless to say I feel pretty burned out. I feel like my social circle has fallen apart and I don't even have fun when I do stuff with my law school friends. I just feel exhausted, stressed, behind, and like I've burned out socially, physically, and possibly academically.

Anyone else ever get this law school burn out where it feels like you're just pushing through? What did anyone do to combat it? I'm highly embarrassed to admit I feel a little depressed/burned out.

Giro423

Bronze

Re: Advice. Feeling Burned Out and Health

Post by Giro423 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:11 am

Vicksburg910 wrote:Hello all. I am a 2L and had been having an excellent run of it in law school. Im president of several clubs, heavily involved, and had a great circle of friends. I am came down with a severe case of the flu at the start of January- spent 4 days in the hospital during the first week of the semester. I had some underlying cancer treatment issues that hadnt bothered me in years kicked up by the flu. Spent the last month with blood sugars swings in the 300 and 400s that left me zoned out and fatigued- not to mention pretty sick when they happened. I don't have diabetes so the doctors are trying to figure out how exactly to address it.

Needless to say I feel pretty burned out. I feel like my social circle has fallen apart and I don't even have fun when I do stuff with my law school friends. I just feel exhausted, stressed, behind, and like I've burned out socially, physically, and possibly academically.

Anyone else ever get this law school burn out where it feels like you're just pushing through? What did anyone do to combat it? I'm highly embarrassed to admit I feel a little depressed/burned out.
I think everyone feels that way occasionally. The important thing is that you’re pushing through anyway. All you can do is the best you can, and especially 2L year your mental and physical health are more important.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: Advice. Feeling Burned Out and Health

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:09 am

Vicksburg910 wrote: Anyone else ever get this law school burn out where it feels like you're just pushing through? What did anyone do to combat it? I'm highly embarrassed to admit I feel a little depressed/burned out.
Yes, but focus on resolving the underlying health issues first. You'll be better equipped to enjoy life when you aren't dealing with the consequences of the health issues.

As far as burnout, it was right about this time each semester that I started having issues. Every semester except the last one. It lasted about 2 weeks to a month, and then started getting better. Probably not the healthiest cycle, but it was what it was.

I didn't bother going to the doctor or anything... I knew exactly what was causing it. What I did was block off some time specifically for having fun. I had to literally put an event on my calendar for "Free time." Some days I sat on my back porch sipping beer and watching youtube vids. Some days I'd invite people out to get dinner and drinks after class. Some days I went to bed early and slept 12 hours. As long as I had a few hours blocked off each week, I had something to look forward to and things didn't get unbearable.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”