How important are grades after graduating (3L stressing over a lackluster transcript) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
negativefeedback

New

How important are grades after graduating (3L stressing over a lackluster transcript)

Post by negativefeedback » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:04 pm

I've pretty much coasted through law school and I'm now stressing out about it, since I'm going to graduate with a lackluster grade profile and about a 3.3 GPA. I only ever got one A in a 2-credit seminar, with a few A minuses spread across two seminars and four black letter law classes. The rest of my grades have all been B's, B+'s, and a terrible B–. I'm fortunate to be at a T10 which helped me get a job at a V10, but I'm still worried about how my shit grades my affect me in the future if I ever get canned, have to lateral, or otherwise get a new job.

How important are grades after we're all done with school, and how exactly can my lackluster transcript affect me in the future?

Wild Card

Silver

Re: How important are grades after graduating (3L stressing over a lackluster transcript)

Post by Wild Card » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:22 pm

If your grades are all you have going for you, yes, you're screwed.

Mitigating strategies include RAing and TAing for as many profs as possible, doing as much legal writing as possible, taking as many clinics and simulation courses as possible, interning or externing every semester of law school, etc.

But you're a 3L in your final semester, so it's too late. Now all you can do is make partner at your "V10."

albanach

Gold

Re: How important are grades after graduating (3L stressing over a lackluster transcript)

Post by albanach » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Wild Card wrote: But you're a 3L in your final semester, so it's too late. Now all you can do is make partner at your "V10."
I hope this is a joke? Experience beats grades. The longer you last at your V10, the more detached you are from the grades.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:59 pm

Wild Card wrote:If your grades are all you have going for you, yes, you're screwed.

Mitigating strategies include RAing and TAing for as many profs as possible, doing as much legal writing as possible, taking as many clinics and simulation courses as possible, interning or externing every semester of law school, etc.

But you're a 3L in your final semester, so it's too late. Now all you can do is make partner at your "V10."
tbh idk wtf this guy is talking about

this isn't going to help anything but it's also not really going to hurt anything

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:43 pm

You won’t clerk, and you won’t lateral to a more selective firm, but aside from that, your grades should have little impact on your career moving forward.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”