Should I take summer classes for a GPA boost? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
applyingtosumma

New

Should I take summer classes for a GPA boost?

Post by applyingtosumma » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:02 pm

So My GPA isn't where I want it to be. My school offers a summer program with 6 credits and it's only half the summer. Should I take it to boost my GPA before OCI?

tk421991

Bronze

Re: Should I take summer classes for a GPA boost?

Post by tk421991 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:41 pm

applyingtosumma wrote:So My GPA isn't where I want it to be. My school offers a summer program with 6 credits and it's only half the summer. Should I take it to boost my GPA before OCI?
Quite a few people at my law school want to take on summer classes. The 2Ls and faculty who are asked about this all agree that 5 hours (my school's requirement to qualify for using loan money in the summer) "is a big commitment."

You'd be compacting four months of learning into two or three (half the summer is what, six weeks from June into July?). Do you think that'll be conducive to boosting your GPA or destructive?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:19 pm

tk421991 wrote:
applyingtosumma wrote:So My GPA isn't where I want it to be. My school offers a summer program with 6 credits and it's only half the summer. Should I take it to boost my GPA before OCI?
Quite a few people at my law school want to take on summer classes. The 2Ls and faculty who are asked about this all agree that 5 hours (my school's requirement to qualify for using loan money in the summer) "is a big commitment."

You'd be compacting four months of learning into two or three (half the summer is what, six weeks from June into July?). Do you think that'll be conducive to boosting your GPA or destructive?
Usually, the 6 credits taken during the summer is not the same as 6 regular law school credits. If I'm not mistaken, the classes are not usually curved and have a much lighter workload.

applyingtosumma

New

Post by applyingtosumma » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:43 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
tk421991 wrote:

Usually, the 6 credits taken during the summer is not the same as 6 regular law school credits. If I'm not mistaken, the classes are not usually curved and have a much lighter workload.
Ya exactly. Not curved and they strongly implied that it helps everyone's GPA

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 pm

Yes, you should take the summer courses to raise your GPA before OCI.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:45 pm

If you’re considering this, make sure you’ll actually have your grade before submitting resumes for OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”