Should I take summer classes for a GPA boost?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
applyingtosumma
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Should I take summer classes for a GPA boost?

Postby applyingtosumma » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:02 pm

So My GPA isn't where I want it to be. My school offers a summer program with 6 credits and it's only half the summer. Should I take it to boost my GPA before OCI?

tk421991
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:21 am

Re: Should I take summer classes for a GPA boost?

Postby tk421991 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:41 pm

applyingtosumma wrote:So My GPA isn't where I want it to be. My school offers a summer program with 6 credits and it's only half the summer. Should I take it to boost my GPA before OCI?


Quite a few people at my law school want to take on summer classes. The 2Ls and faculty who are asked about this all agree that 5 hours (my school's requirement to qualify for using loan money in the summer) "is a big commitment."

You'd be compacting four months of learning into two or three (half the summer is what, six weeks from June into July?). Do you think that'll be conducive to boosting your GPA or destructive?

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1214
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Should I take summer classes for a GPA boost?

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:19 pm

tk421991 wrote:
applyingtosumma wrote:So My GPA isn't where I want it to be. My school offers a summer program with 6 credits and it's only half the summer. Should I take it to boost my GPA before OCI?


Quite a few people at my law school want to take on summer classes. The 2Ls and faculty who are asked about this all agree that 5 hours (my school's requirement to qualify for using loan money in the summer) "is a big commitment."

You'd be compacting four months of learning into two or three (half the summer is what, six weeks from June into July?). Do you think that'll be conducive to boosting your GPA or destructive?


Usually, the 6 credits taken during the summer is not the same as 6 regular law school credits. If I'm not mistaken, the classes are not usually curved and have a much lighter workload.

applyingtosumma
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Re: Should I take summer classes for a GPA boost?

Postby applyingtosumma » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:43 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
tk421991 wrote:
applyingtosumma wrote:So My GPA isn't where I want it to be. My school offers a summer program with 6 credits and it's only half the summer. Should I take it to boost my GPA before OCI?


Quite a few people at my law school want to take on summer classes. The 2Ls and faculty who are asked about this all agree that 5 hours (my school's requirement to qualify for using loan money in the summer) "is a big commitment."

You'd be compacting four months of learning into two or three (half the summer is what, six weeks from June into July?). Do you think that'll be conducive to boosting your GPA or destructive?


Usually, the 6 credits taken during the summer is not the same as 6 regular law school credits. If I'm not mistaken, the classes are not usually curved and have a much lighter workload.


Ya exactly. Not curved and they strongly implied that it helps everyone's GPA

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10712
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Should I take summer classes for a GPA boost?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 pm

Yes, you should take the summer courses to raise your GPA before OCI.

dudders
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: Should I take summer classes for a GPA boost?

Postby dudders » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:45 pm

If you’re considering this, make sure you’ll actually have your grade before submitting resumes for OCI.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest