Bar Application: Tax Question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

New

Bar Application: Tax Question

Post by 12481632 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Didn't realize the intensity of the bar applications for a given state. Question about getting paid cash under the table while working for a 10 month period before law school for a family member's local business. Got paid $10/hr cash.

Do I have state affirmatively that I "failed to file any federal, state or local income tax return as required by law, failed to pay any taxes when due, including employers' withholding taxes, or entered into any repayment agreement with a taxing authority?" I won't be including this in the "past employers" section for a similar reason (don't want record of employment without paying taxes for myself and my family member). Is this right/what should I do?

clshopeful

Bronze

Re: Bar Application: Tax Question

Post by clshopeful » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:21 am

you don't have to file a tax return if you make under the standard deduction+personal exemption... But I don't know anything more than that, such as whether you would still need to pay other taxes like FICA or something.

Similar position as me. I worked for my dad's business when I was like 16 in high school, just a few hours every other week for a nominal amount.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”