(1L) Prof Changed my Grade from A to B Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
str8shot1

New

(1L) Prof Changed my Grade from A to B

Post by str8shot1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:42 pm

Went to my prof to discuss my exam - I wanted to know what I did right. Prof told me she had entered my score wrong and it is actually a B. This is 3 weeks later and one week into school. I've already sent 10 transcripts to summer employers.

basketofbread

New

Re: (1L) Prof Changed my Grade from A to B

Post by basketofbread » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:47 pm

Never look a gift horse in the mouth smfh tf

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 pm

welcome to average bro. it's not always bad out here.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Evil flame. Lots of 1Ls here need to review their exams with profs.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:10 pm

You guys don’t believe OP?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:56 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:You guys don’t believe OP?
No. It's obvious because he doesn't even have other posts. Moreover, professors don't change/lower grades on further review after the fact when a 1L comes to review the exam.

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:29 am

jacketyellow wrote:
No. It's obvious because he doesn't even have other posts. Moreover, professors don't change/lower grades on further review after the fact when a 1L comes to review the exam.
But I want to believe that a gunner went in for affirmation only to find out he got median-pwned.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:29 am

jacketyellow wrote:
That's wrong. I've seen it happen.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:46 am

jacketyellow wrote:
Pretty sure the same person posted on the law school subreddit with the same story...so if it’s a troll it’s a committed troll. Very well could be a troll though. The Reddit post is now gone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:34 am

lavarman84 wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
Changes down, or up? I think there's much more chance of a grade going up where there's no downside to the student.

As for the op, i assuming it's real, t's pretty trivial to deal with and concerning to me that a future lawyer doesn't see this as obvious. Get an official letter from the professor acknowledging the mistake was theirs alone. Send that with an updated resume to the employers.

If the professor is in any way difficult, get the same thing from the registrar. C&F are going to expect you to be candid with potential employers. It's not your fault, but you have to tell them.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:37 am

That part is obvious, but it doesn’t address becoming a much less desirable applicant to employers.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:43 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:That part is obvious, but it doesn’t address becoming a much less desirable applicant to employers.
You can't change the facts. As others above wrote, welcome to median. There's no magical way to get partial credit for a professor's mistake.

All OP can do is move on with life and try for better grades this semester. It's not like their 1L summer is going to predetermine the rest of their legal career.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:That part is obvious, but it doesn’t address becoming a much less desirable applicant to employers.
I'm actually wondering if it is obvious to OP. They don't mention having sent an update to employers, only bemoaning that they have already sent apps. They don't mention asking the prof for a letter owning their mistake, or similar from the school's registrar.

I certainly owuldn't want to send such a letter in my own name, as it may give the appearance to some that you're at best not attentive to detail and made a mistake in your application or at worst, were actively attempting to deceive. It's imperative that a letter like that comes from the school.

If OP needs hand holding on options given their new GPA and class rank, their careers office should have plenty of leads. It's still early and there's plenty of quality, if unpaid, things for 1Ls to do in their summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:59 pm

I assumed that the post was just venting rather than looking for specific advice.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:08 pm

albanach wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
Changes down, or up? I think there's much more chance of a grade going up where there's no downside to the student.

As for the op, i assuming it's real, t's pretty trivial to deal with and concerning to me that a future lawyer doesn't see this as obvious. Get an official letter from the professor acknowledging the mistake was theirs alone. Send that with an updated resume to the employers.

If the professor is in any way difficult, get the same thing from the registrar. C&F are going to expect you to be candid with potential employers. It's not your fault, but you have to tell them.
Both directions. Some people had grades lowered. Some people had grades raised. It didn't affect me, but it affected a couple of my friends.

Graybrow

New

Post by Graybrow » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:11 pm

Wild Card wrote:Evil flame. Lots of 1Ls here need to review their exams with profs.

str8shot1

New

Post by str8shot1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:18 pm

So follow up: Yes this did really happen to me. I've been getting a lot of doubt on Reddit too. I never said that its normal or that 1L's shouldn't go to their profs.

As far as not responding, think about what you would do. I decided to eat ice cream and watch TV all day. I'm very sorry for failing to reply. But at the time I just wanted to bury myself in sleep and self loathing.

It was remarked on Reddit that my story is inconsistent. I don't wish to explain the discrepancies because it would give me away. You'll have to trust me that they work out and, if not, fine. Again, place yourself in my shoes. I'm also trying to maintain some semblance of anonymity so that I can work with my administration and not come out even lower because I'm branded as a traitor by my faculty and admin.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:56 pm

The LRW prof for the other half of my section accidentally calculated and posted the wrong grades for everyone in the class. At least half the people were very unhappy with the revisions. It does happen and it freaking sucks. That professor is a total jerk.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:39 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:The LRW prof for the other half of my section accidentally calculated and posted the wrong grades for everyone in the class. At least half the people were very unhappy with the revisions. It does happen and it freaking sucks. That professor is a total jerk.
That just proves all the guidance on these forums about avoiding schools with graded LRW is correct.

str8shot1

New

Post by str8shot1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:22 pm

omar.comin wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
But I want to believe that a gunner went in for affirmation only to find out he got median-pwned.
The only time I was a gunner is when I was fighting for your sorry ass.

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:21 pm

str8shot1 wrote:
omar.comin wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
Sorry, I'm confused.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:25 pm

omar.comin wrote:
str8shot1 wrote:
omar.comin wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
Sorry, I'm confused.
Op is implying that s/he's a vet

politibro44

New

Post by politibro44 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:42 pm

I don't doubt OP and I'm sorry it happened.

I had a 1L professor incorrectly calculate grades on my Torts final. People in the class either had their grade go up, down, or stay the same. As a 2L, I also had a professor enter my grade incorrectly and he adjusted upwards the following semester, but only after I caught the error when reviewing the exam.

I think it is generally a good idea to review exams to check for inconsistencies or at least improve your exam taking skills (esp. 1L). But then again, I don't need to review past exams in front of a professor.

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:12 pm

magnum_law wrote:
omar.comin wrote:
str8shot1 wrote:
omar.comin wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
Sorry, I'm confused.
My bad, OP (if this is true). I actually have a lot of respect for vets in law school. Just not a fan of KJD gunners. There are much worse places to be than a vet at median of a decent law school.

str8shot1

New

Post by str8shot1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:21 am

omar.comin wrote:
magnum_law wrote:
omar.comin wrote:
str8shot1 wrote:
omar.comin wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
Sorry, I'm confused.
My bad, OP (if this is true). I actually have a lot of respect for vets in law school. Just not a fan of KJD gunners. There are much worse places to be than a vet at median of a decent law school.
Apology accepted. I'm just trying to find a job and live a peaceful life. I'm not trying to become the next SCOTUS justice. Also, I'm slightly below the median now because my curve is at B+. I'm over it TLS. My prof apologized and that's all I wanted. I'm ready to move on for the sake of my wife. In the words of my old First Sergeant, "There's always someone ready to replace you."

Also, in retrospect it was dumb to post here. I guess I was just looking for a shoulder to cry on because I couldn't at my school. I'm kind of held hostage by the fact that the prof who made the mistake is a job reference - thats why I deleted the reditt post and I should probably delete this one too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”