Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MantisToboggan

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby MantisToboggan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:42 pm

What are the best options for NY/CA firms in litigation at median (based on my grades, hovering around median for the last few years), assuming you stay around median? Yes, obviously it would be great if my grades went up, and yes I'm doing what I need to do to try and make that happen (meeting w/ professors, etc.)

GreenEggs

Gold
Posts: 3593
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby GreenEggs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:49 pm

I can't offer a lot of insight but people end up across the board in both NY and CA at lit firms with median grades. People can be more helpful if you list certain firms you're targeting.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SolemnMan

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Re: Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby SolemnMan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:49 pm

Median at CLS bars you only at a select few firms (Wachtell, Boies, Munger, etc.). While it's great to do better, your options are wide open at NY/CA.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:52 pm

chill on the OCI talk. it's only half your grades.

MantisToboggan

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Re: Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby MantisToboggan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:00 pm

Kummel wrote:I can't offer a lot of insight but people end up across the board in both NY and CA at lit firms with median grades. People can be more helpful if you list certain firms you're targeting.


I guess my dream firm would be DPW, and I'm extremely interested in MoFo.

MantisToboggan

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Re: Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby MantisToboggan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:01 pm

pancakes3 wrote:chill on the OCI talk. it's only half your grades.


wow! thank you for the great info

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:02 pm

MantisToboggan wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:chill on the OCI talk. it's only half your grades.


wow! thank you for the great info


u mad?

MantisToboggan

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Re: Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby MantisToboggan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:10 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
MantisToboggan wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:chill on the OCI talk. it's only half your grades.


wow! thank you for the great info


u mad?


not really, you're just the exact unhelpful crustlord I expected on here

GreenEggs

Gold
Posts: 3593
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby GreenEggs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:13 pm

MantisToboggan wrote:
Kummel wrote:I can't offer a lot of insight but people end up across the board in both NY and CA at lit firms with median grades. People can be more helpful if you list certain firms you're targeting.


I guess my dream firm would be DPW, and I'm extremely interested in MoFo.


why? what's special about DPW and MoFo for you?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 pm

MantisToboggan wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
MantisToboggan wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:chill on the OCI talk. it's only half your grades.


wow! thank you for the great info


u mad?


not really, you're just the exact unhelpful crustlord I expected on here


what kind of help were you expecting now vs. 6 months from now?

MantisToboggan

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Re: Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby MantisToboggan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:23 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
MantisToboggan wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
MantisToboggan wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:chill on the OCI talk. it's only half your grades.


wow! thank you for the great info


u mad?


not really, you're just the exact unhelpful crustlord I expected on here


what kind of help were you expecting now vs. 6 months from now?


did you not get hugged enough as a kid?

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10260
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Again, not a major concern now. But Gibson, Debevoise, Weil, Skadden, ect. are all on the table. If you get your grades up just a tad to low stone, you’ll open up Davis Polk, Simpson, Cravath.

TheoO

Silver
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 am

Re: Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby TheoO » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:18 am

jbagelboy wrote:Again, not a major concern now. But Gibson, Debevoise, Weil, Skadden, ect. are all on the table. If you get your grades up just a tad to low stone, you’ll open up Davis Polk, Simpson, Cravath.


These are a bit of a stretch (for the average law student), assuming same outcome in spring.

But median is a pretty good place to be for fall grades. Get a couple of As (and you'll have one class with a 2L curve, so one A- should be simple enough).

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10260
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Around Median at CLS - Litigation?

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:07 am

TheoO wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Again, not a major concern now. But Gibson, Debevoise, Weil, Skadden, ect. are all on the table. If you get your grades up just a tad to low stone, you’ll open up Davis Polk, Simpson, Cravath.


These are a bit of a stretch (for the average law student), assuming same outcome in spring.

But median is a pretty good place to be for fall grades. Get a couple of As (and you'll have one class with a 2L curve, so one A- should be simple enough).


Yesh, I mean a median student should bid conservatively and include many non-selective firms before those ones. I was trying to give a sense of the best places that are still worth interviewing with/in the realm of possibility at median



Return to “Forum for Law School Students?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests