Indefinitely suspended with no charges? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rickyrayray

New

Indefinitely suspended with no charges?

Post by rickyrayray » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:53 am

Hello all. I was suspended without charges or a date to come back. Prior to the suspension, I had sent emails to my class about how class time was being used. A few students had requested to the professor to cancel the friday class before labor day so they could have a longer weekend and not have an absence. I sent an email to the class, very respectfully, not to ask for class cancellations. Then, students started giving announcements during class time. They would announce their student group, big for elections, and other no law related stuff during class time. I then sent another email asking them to stop this. I also informed the class of the very low bar passage rate and maybe these were reasons why. I got a few hateful emails that were also shared with the whole class. They called me names like bully and a coward. I had not spoken in class out of fear. I was harassed by a student earlier in the year who told me to put my hand down when I raised it to answer a question in class. I am very active in class and raise my hand a lot. He told me he was going to kick my ass. The admin did nothing about it when I complained and in fact told me to change seats. The school tried to pressure me to withdraw but I did not because I thought it may be nearly impossible to get into another school. I also have a scholarship from this school. So, I filed a law suit and am now litigating the matter. 3 months later they attempted to have "due process" with me. After the suspension, I moved back home to another state. In the charges, the dean filed on behalf of some students saying that the students felt unsafe and scared of me. I did all my communication through email and never even talked to those students. cal edu code §48950 clearly shows the dean was out of bounds in suspending for my emails done off campus.
What is your opinion?

mcmand

Silver

Re: Indefinitely suspended with no charges?

Post by mcmand » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:58 am

If you are being disciplined by your law school, it is inadvisable to share details or post your opinions about it online. If you're engaged in litigation over anything, it is inadvisable to talk about it online.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:37 am

My opinion is that you should have probably kept your head down and not wasted anyone's time sending emails to class just to espouse your inconsequential opinion.

There are no charges required for a suspension because your school is not a prosecutor instituting a criminal proceeding.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:49 am

You should be consulting with an attorney at this point given Lit is pending. It’s foolish to post this much about your situation online.

Also OP, it’s not them. It’s you.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:55 am

I hope you used paragraphs in the emails to your classmates.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:12 am

This sounds like a 100% objective and reliable account of what happened.

And after a semester of school, the very least you should have learned is that you need to get a lawyer.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:01 am

cavalier1138 wrote:This sounds like a 100% objective and reliable account of what happened.

And after a semester of school, the very least you should have learned is that you need to get a lawyer.
Agreed on both accounts. No one here is going to give you legal advice, so you should consult an attorney and delete this post. Three thoughts though. One, I highly doubt the school suspended you for respectfully sending emails like that (though you do sound like an insufferable gunner with no self-awareness - I mean, who the hell tells their classmates not to announce student groups in class, and then blames that on a low passage rate?). Two, how are you simultaneously afraid to speak in class and also "very active?" (sounds like some 120 gunner code btw). Finally, this might be a blessing. You're talking about how horrible of a time you're having there and that it has horrible bar passage rates. Judging from the state, it's probably one of like five schools, none of which are worth attending for any cost. Why not just cut your losses, withdraw, retake the LSAT with sufficient prep, and then reapply to new schools (and don't send dumb emails to your class next time)?

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:57 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:This sounds like a 100% objective and reliable account of what happened.

I definitely thought that after reading OP's post. He or she definitely must have done something else to get suspended. OP, get a lawyer, or, better yet, do something else with your life. Law school isn't worth it.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:34 pm

When I first read this post, given the emails he sent I assumed he was just a really uptight professor who got suspended from teaching—because it’s unfathomable to me that a student would send an email out to his entire class admonishing them about something so utterly inane, or SUE THE SCHOOL because he doesn’t get along with his classmates. It’s all just too much.

Edit: I don’t mean to say that the threat is just “not getting along”; that’s obviously terrible and unacceptable regardless. But the rest of this is just bizarre. I mean you know there’s some serious bullshit when the person can’t even spin the story to make themselves sound reasonable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mudiverse

Bronze

Post by mudiverse » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:42 pm

rickyrayray wrote:What is your opinion?
The fact that more than one person read this post and took it seriously is astonishing. Absolutely unbelievable tale of fictional woe. Re-evaluate yourselves.

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Emailing the entire class about the school's low bar passage rate is certainly an...interesting move

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:30 pm

mudiverse wrote:
The fact that more than one person read this post and took it seriously is astonishing. Absolutely unbelievable tale of fictional woe. Re-evaluate yourselves.
I mean, that's why I took it seriously. I would expect a troll to go for a slightly more plausible story.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:04 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
mudiverse wrote:
I mean, that's why I took it seriously. I would expect a troll to go for a slightly more plausible story.
I think this is a dead serious post honestly. With the caveat that the emails OP sent were probably much more harassing/threatening than they make it seem. I'm not down for bullying, but if people are "threatening to kick your ass" when you raise your hand, OP probably has a lack of self awareness about how obnoxious they are.

NYCounsel

New

Post by NYCounsel » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:39 pm

rickyrayray wrote:I was harassed by a student earlier in the year who told me to put my hand down when I raised it to answer a question in class.

What is your opinion?
That is unacceptable, and makes me wonder about the character of the people you're in school with. I wish someone would have the audacity to tell me to put my hand down, though I am cognizant to participate no more than twice each class - and only twice if I feel compelled to respond to something said in reference to my initial comment. That said, this is a pretty wild story, there are a lot of arguable missteps you took (as articulated in other posts) that you can take lessons from, and it is almost never wise to discuss a personal, legal matter, especially when you're divulging this level of detail, through electronic means.

Sounds like a nightmare.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”