Question about SOF and PE

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
muscleboundlaw

Question about SOF and PE

Postby muscleboundlaw » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:43 pm

Hey guys,

Quick question:

I know that Promissory estoppel can be brought up as a counter to a contract that fails because of a SOF defense. If I had a SOF essay question, should I bring up this fact or are there only a few circumstances where this is relevant?

Giro423

Re: Question about SOF and PE

Postby Giro423 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:34 pm

muscleboundlaw wrote:Hey guys,

Quick question:

I know that Promissory estoppel can be brought up as a counter to a contract that fails because of a SOF defense. If I had a SOF essay question, should I bring up this fact or are there only a few circumstances where this is relevant?

My understanding is that a minority of courts will allow it as an exception to SOF if found, but these courts require a higher degree of certainty that PE actually existed than would be required if bringing PE as a cause of action. (like 75% rather than 51%). Most courts will not allow it as an exception. Moreover, the reliance probably needs to be more than just money spent. Beginning to build on a piece of property might do it though (at least it did in the case we read). I would bring it up if it seemed like an option a party might try and raise. Probably not a big deal though, unless your professor made it one.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Giro423 wrote:Probably not a big deal though, unless your professor made it one.

This is the key point. You can't ask questions like this on a forum, because it's entirely professor-dependent.

muscleboundlaw

Postby muscleboundlaw » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:30 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Giro423 wrote:Probably not a big deal though, unless your professor made it one.

This is the key point. You can't ask questions like this on a forum, because it's entirely professor-dependent.

Fair enough. He did go over it, so I will bring it up. Thank you both for your advice.

muscleboundlaw

Postby muscleboundlaw » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:08 pm

E-mailed prof. He was nice enough to let me know to definitely bring it up.

I come to you guys so you could lead me in the right direction of where to go :D

Giro423

Postby Giro423 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:09 pm

muscleboundlaw wrote:E-mailed prof. He was nice enough to let me know to definitely bring it up.

I come to you guys so you could lead me in the right direction of where to go :D

Glad you figured it out. Good luck with your exams.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”