Question about SOF and PE Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
muscleboundlaw

Bronze

Question about SOF and PE

Post by muscleboundlaw » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:43 pm

Hey guys,

Quick question:

I know that Promissory estoppel can be brought up as a counter to a contract that fails because of a SOF defense. If I had a SOF essay question, should I bring up this fact or are there only a few circumstances where this is relevant?

Giro423

Bronze

Re: Question about SOF and PE

Post by Giro423 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:34 pm

muscleboundlaw wrote:Hey guys,

Quick question:

I know that Promissory estoppel can be brought up as a counter to a contract that fails because of a SOF defense. If I had a SOF essay question, should I bring up this fact or are there only a few circumstances where this is relevant?
My understanding is that a minority of courts will allow it as an exception to SOF if found, but these courts require a higher degree of certainty that PE actually existed than would be required if bringing PE as a cause of action. (like 75% rather than 51%). Most courts will not allow it as an exception. Moreover, the reliance probably needs to be more than just money spent. Beginning to build on a piece of property might do it though (at least it did in the case we read). I would bring it up if it seemed like an option a party might try and raise. Probably not a big deal though, unless your professor made it one.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Giro423 wrote:Probably not a big deal though, unless your professor made it one.
This is the key point. You can't ask questions like this on a forum, because it's entirely professor-dependent.

muscleboundlaw

Bronze

Post by muscleboundlaw » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:30 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Giro423 wrote:Probably not a big deal though, unless your professor made it one.
This is the key point. You can't ask questions like this on a forum, because it's entirely professor-dependent.
Fair enough. He did go over it, so I will bring it up. Thank you both for your advice.

muscleboundlaw

Bronze

Post by muscleboundlaw » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:08 pm

E-mailed prof. He was nice enough to let me know to definitely bring it up.

I come to you guys so you could lead me in the right direction of where to go :D

Giro423

Bronze

Post by Giro423 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:09 pm

muscleboundlaw wrote:E-mailed prof. He was nice enough to let me know to definitely bring it up.

I come to you guys so you could lead me in the right direction of where to go :D
Glad you figured it out. Good luck with your exams.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”