Should I try applying for judicial externships before finals? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Should I try applying for judicial externships before finals?

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Hey all,

So externing in for a federal trial court was my dream summer job. I currently have my cover letter ready along with resume and recs, just gotta polish up a writing sample.

But I was talking to a classmate yesterday who was printing all his materials off and he was complaining how long it was taking, and a 2L was telling me to not send out apps until after finals.

Is it worth sacrificing some time to get my apps sent out this week/early next week? Or am I better served by focusing purely on grades then waiting to apply after finals end?

I guess I'm mostly concerned with what the 2L told me, that her roommate applied last year and the judges all told her to get back in touch once grades were released, so applying early was of little utility. What's the best way to approach this? I'm at UCLA, if that matters.

mcmand

Silver

Re: Should I try applying for judicial externships before finals?

Post by mcmand » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Some judges won't hire an extern without grades, some will. That's kind of a black box and very judge-specific. Ask former externs at your school or career services if they know about the judges you're applying to.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:15 pm

If the choice is between studying and getting the apps out, study. A judicial externship isn't that hard to get, and your grades are infinitely more important than your summer job pedigree anyway.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi D.Va bunny. Given that you're at UCLA, your career services people should know how the judges in C.D. Cal. work, at least. If all the info you're getting tells you to wait for grades, then I'd just wait for grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”