Free or Low Cost Stress Relief Tools Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
helplawstudents

New

Free or Low Cost Stress Relief Tools

Post by helplawstudents » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:51 pm

Science Daily, a publication of University College London, says that uncertainty can cause more stress than inevitable pain. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 101037.htm

Law school is set up to make you uncertain in so many ways: uncertain about what you should be doing, the best use of your time, whether you are an admissions mistake (imposter syndrome) and whether you can succeed in law school. There are specific techniques to eliminate each of these uncertainties, but the most important thing to do first is to use some type of stress relief technique every day.

One of the best stress relief techniques is Mindfulness Meditation. You can find free online guided meditations from UCLA's Mindful Awareness Research Center at http://marc.ucla.edu/default.cfm?id=1.

Another awesome stress relief tool is to do some exercise every day. This does not mean you have to go to a gym if that is not your thing. Find a tall building and walk or run up and down the stairwell. Walk or bike somewhere instead of taking a bus or driving. Play on a sports team and do drills the days your team does not practice or play.

As someone pointed out in another thread, constantly being around other law students can add to your own stress. Make sure you spend some time each week with people who have nothing to do with law school. My first year in law school I hung out with students at the divinity school. My second year I moved and chose roommates in other fields: one was a social worker, the other a veterinary technician. If you are religious, attend services at the place of worship of your choice. It's really easy to make new friends at a place of worship, especially if you volunteer to help for an hour or two a week.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”