Planet Law School/Law School Confidential/Getting to Maybe Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
zreinhar

Bronze

Re: Planet Law School/Law School Confidential/Getting to Maybe

Post by zreinhar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:37 am

I didnt see this touched on, so am asking.. but feel free to point out my dumbassery if it has already been accounted for. In lieu of 0L prep, what if upon getting your sched, you hunt down a successful 2L who had the same profs? and asked them what to watch out for/pay attention to? I plan on reading getting to maybe and LEEWS, but not too much more, plus I'll probably have a full time legal position by the anyways, so not too much free time...

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:51 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:48 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
zreinhar wrote:I didnt see this touched on, so am asking.. but feel free to point out my dumbassery if it has already been accounted for. In lieu of 0L prep, what if upon getting your sched, you hunt down a successful 2L who had the same profs? and asked them what to watch out for/pay attention to? I plan on reading getting to maybe and LEEWS, but not too much more, plus I'll probably have a full time legal position by the anyways, so not too much free time...
Talking with a 2L would be vastly superior to any kind of reading you could do. They'd almost certainly give more tailored advice to your school/profs. Moreover, corresponding with a 2L would (1) take less time than reading a bunch of other crap; and (2) avoid covering loads of non-germane material that many books tend to include.
Or a 3L.... *whistle*

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:48 pm

Both PLS and LSC are crappy books with some really silly advice in them. You could do better just by reading these forums.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:50 pm

Snooker wrote:Both PLS and LSC are crappy books with some really silly advice in them. You could do better just by reading these forums.
LSC's advice is fucking terrible, but its credited as a nice overview of LS.

Reading this forums is well adn good, but a terrible place to START learning about LS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NY5780

New

Post by NY5780 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:34 am

I actually liked LSC. Although I didn't adopt their crazy highlighter method, I have seen many other 1L's use it religiously. The book provides a nice overview/description of some of the major things to expect throughout law school.

VincentChase

New

Post by VincentChase » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:24 am

I laugh whenever I see people's casebooks highlighted looking like a rainbow. I can't believe people are able to stick to that method. I've seen 2L's and 3L's who still do it a la LSC. Someone told me it just becomes second nature after a while.

Not judging, though. I have plenty of my own study quirks.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:04 am

VincentChase wrote:I laugh whenever I see people's casebooks highlighted looking like a rainbow. I can't believe people are able to stick to that method. I've seen 2L's and 3L's who still do it a la LSC. Someone told me it just becomes second nature after a while.

Not judging, though. I have plenty of my own study quirks.
I don't think it is necessary for myself, but I do understand why people do it. I can see it being useful, especially if used for cold-call defense (which, let's admit, even though we know it isn't important for exams, most people on here will engage in some sort of cold-call defense even if they don't like participating in class).

It also is probably useful for outlining if one chooses to use the casebook. This way you don't have to wade through everything. Personally I don't, but, again, I can understand why someone would, if only to set a general structure.

jwrit07

New

Post by jwrit07 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:15 am

tag

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”