Regretting Law School Already

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mrpeanutbutter
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:24 am

Regretting Law School Already

Postby mrpeanutbutter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:34 am

Title is pretty self explanatory. 1L and I definitely fit the bill of a student who shouldn't have gone to LS but just went because they thought they had no options. The material is boring, and I just don't think I'll be cut out for the profession. What should I do ? Just cut my losses and drop out ?

sparkytrainer
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby sparkytrainer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:45 am

Probably

WhiteCollarBlueShirt
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:15 pm

Hated 1L, 2L was better, and 3L was best... but if you can realistically get out without creating too much damage, then probably not a bad idea... especially given that it is only September.

User avatar
Aergia
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby Aergia » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:18 pm

If you are at a good school I would suggest busting your ass this semester and seeing what your grades are like. There are plenty who, like you, have no genuine interest in the law and just treat both law school and legal practice itself as a means to an end. There are also those who hated law school but find practice tolerable or even enjoyable.

albanach
Posts: 1230
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby albanach » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:30 pm

Aergia wrote:If you are at a good school I would suggest busting your ass this semester and seeing what your grades are like. There are plenty who, like you, have no genuine interest in the law and just treat both law school and legal practice itself as a means to an end. There are also those who hated law school but find practice tolerable or even enjoyable.


This is good general advice. Your original post tells us nothing about your school rank or your cost of attendance. It's hard to advise without that sort of information. Also, is seems premature to dismiss legal practice when you have no idea what it actually entails yet.

What are your post law school goals? If it's big bucks then you really are looking at a firm job, but if your school is well ranked there could be lots of options available there. Even if you dislike the firm life, you can start aiming for a move in-house after a few years.

If you just want something meaningful and the cost of attendance is low enough, PI, public defender or AG positions could all be worth considering. None of those are going to feel like law school.

So, come back and ask again (with a little more info) after your grades are in.

mrpeanutbutter
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:24 am

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby mrpeanutbutter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:39 pm

albanach wrote:
Aergia wrote:If you are at a good school I would suggest busting your ass this semester and seeing what your grades are like. There are plenty who, like you, have no genuine interest in the law and just treat both law school and legal practice itself as a means to an end. There are also those who hated law school but find practice tolerable or even enjoyable.


This is good general advice. Your original post tells us nothing about your school rank or your cost of attendance. It's hard to advise without that sort of information. Also, is seems premature to dismiss legal practice when you have no idea what it actually entails yet.

What are your post law school goals? If it's big bucks then you really are looking at a firm job, but if your school is well ranked there could be lots of options available there. Even if you dislike the firm life, you can start aiming for a move in-house after a few years.

If you just want something meaningful and the cost of attendance is low enough, PI, public defender or AG positions could all be worth considering. None of those are going to feel like law school.

So, come back and ask again (with a little more info) after your grades are in.


HYS with probably around 150k in debt at graduation. Would like to do something meaningful. But yeah, I probably should at least stick it out for a semester

albanach
Posts: 1230
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby albanach » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:45 pm

mrpeanutbutter wrote:HYS with probably around 150k in debt at graduation. Would like to do something meaningful. But yeah, I probably should at least stick it out for a semester


Graduate in the middle of your class and you should have a ton of options with a reasonably manageable debt burden.

I'd start looking for practice areas that might interest you so you can explore in your 1L summer. I was disenchanted with law school until I found legal aid work. While I'm not doing that now, it totally reshaped my view of law school.

You're at a great school. Every sort of advocacy group is open to you, as is every big law firm and a whole host of government opportunities.

Of course, having made it to a great school you likely have strong undergraduate credentials. If none of that is truly interesting, it's certainly better to reevaluate as a 1L than a 3L. Still, I think seeing practice in the summer might be helpful in making that assessment.

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 5726
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:52 pm

i'd say finish out the semester but start applying for jerbs right now. you have the credentials for HYS, so it's not like you have NO options. if you truly feel like you don't want to be a lawyer, it's not too late.

be careful of grass-is-greener syndrome though. banking is soulless, STEM/Med is hard, coding is oversaturated, and consulting has a whole suite of shitty things about it.

The TLS "cliche" of "go to B-school" still stands though, so long as you crush the GMAT and go to an M7. Caveat: my bschool friends are saying that the M7 is moving away from admitting wall-streeters with the requisite GMAT and giving preference to ppl with a broader experience base, with boosts given to ppl who have international experience (even if it's just teaching english abroad) so take that into consideration.

anonanonny
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby anonanonny » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:34 pm

For what it's worth...

I had this same exact feeling 1L year during my first semester. I toyed with the idea of dropping out but couldn't bring myself to do it because I didn't want to look like a "quitter." Here I am as a 3L with the same negative sentiments about the profession WISHING I would've followed my gut 1L fall. I will say that a lot of people who might actually enjoy practicing law may have felt the same way at some point. I feel it in my bones that practicing law is not right for me, but as a 3L I have no choice at this point but to finish. (On the bright side, I have a full scholarship, so at least I won't have a mountain of debt...) This isn't me telling you to drop out, but it is me telling you that personally I regret not doing so long ago when it was still early on.

I wish you luck OP.

corporatemandaorbust
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby corporatemandaorbust » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:07 am

I don't get why someone would drop out from a good school. Even if you don't want to be a lawyer, a top school only helps in anything on your resume.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4299
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:11 am

corporatemandaorbust wrote:I don't get why someone would drop out from a good school. Even if you don't want to be a lawyer, a top school only helps in anything on your resume.


Unless you're posting threads about your chances at Columbia to troll, stop posting in the forums that are only for law students.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28094
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:17 am

corporatemandaorbust wrote:I don't get why someone would drop out from a good school. Even if you don't want to be a lawyer, a top school only helps in anything on your resume.

1) cavalier is right - you can't post in the law student forum until you are in law school.
2) the above is wrong. Having a JD from wherever and trying to get a non-law/JD advantage job doesn't help on your resume. Sure, a JD from a top school probably looks better than a JD from Cooley, but non-law/JD advantage employers generally don't want to hire a JD, period.

Eternalsunshine
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 12:10 am

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby Eternalsunshine » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:06 am

albanach wrote:
mrpeanutbutter wrote:HYS with probably around 150k in debt at graduation. Would like to do something meaningful. But yeah, I probably should at least stick it out for a semester


Graduate in the middle of your class and you should have a ton of options with a reasonably manageable debt burden.

I'd start looking for practice areas that might interest you so you can explore in your 1L summer. I was disenchanted with law school until I found legal aid work. While I'm not doing that now, it totally reshaped my view of law school.

You're at a great school. Every sort of advocacy group is open to you, as is every big law firm and a whole host of government opportunities.

Of course, having made it to a great school you likely have strong undergraduate credentials. If none of that is truly interesting, it's certainly better to reevaluate as a 1L than a 3L. Still, I think seeing practice in the summer might be helpful in making that assessment.


I don't love law school (I'm a 2L). But I'm in school to be a public defender and I absolutely loved interning at my local PD's office over the summer - THAT'S what keeps me motivated for school. There's no shame in quitting if you know it's not for you, but if you feel like you might enjoy practice, maybe try to stick it out.

Best of luck to you, OP!

crownjd
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby crownjd » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:59 am

Eternalsunshine wrote:
albanach wrote:
mrpeanutbutter wrote:HYS with probably around 150k in debt at graduation. Would like to do something meaningful. But yeah, I probably should at least stick it out for a semester


Graduate in the middle of your class and you should have a ton of options with a reasonably manageable debt burden.

I'd start looking for practice areas that might interest you so you can explore in your 1L summer. I was disenchanted with law school until I found legal aid work. While I'm not doing that now, it totally reshaped my view of law school.

You're at a great school. Every sort of advocacy group is open to you, as is every big law firm and a whole host of government opportunities.

Of course, having made it to a great school you likely have strong undergraduate credentials. If none of that is truly interesting, it's certainly better to reevaluate as a 1L than a 3L. Still, I think seeing practice in the summer might be helpful in making that assessment.


I don't love law school (I'm a 2L). But I'm in school to be a public defender and I absolutely loved interning at my local PD's office over the summer - THAT'S what keeps me motivated for school. There's no shame in quitting if you know it's not for you, but if you feel like you might enjoy practice, maybe try to stick it out.

Best of luck to you, OP!


This! Seeing it in practice is SO DIFFERENT. I was at a PDs office this summer as well, and being in court every day is nothing like sitting in doctrinal classes. Find some area of law that you like, if any, and try to get an internship doing that. It might change your perspective. Give it some time.

User avatar
Subban_Fan
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby Subban_Fan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm

pancakes3 wrote:i'd say finish out the semester but start applying for jerbs right now. you have the credentials for HYS, so it's not like you have NO options. if you truly feel like you don't want to be a lawyer, it's not too late.

be careful of grass-is-greener syndrome though. banking is soulless, STEM/Med is hard, coding is oversaturated, and consulting has a whole suite of shitty things about it.


Coding isn't saturated. There are constantly openings for $80,000-$200,000+ jobs for fresh grads. Companies are on campuses recruiting from for-profit colleges, small regional state schools to MIT in an attempt to fill these positions.

The problem is people can't code. https://blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant- ... s-program/

But, it's not saturated. Companies are desperate for people that can code.

User avatar
Mullens
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby Mullens » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:50 pm

As other people have noted, the practice of law is very different from law school. I encourage you to stick out the year and put your all into it. Do something you could see yourself doing as a career your 1L summer. If you still regret law school at that point, cut your losses and drop out.

RaceJudicata
Posts: 1585
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Regretting Law School Already

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:19 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote:I don't get why someone would drop out from a good school. Even if you don't want to be a lawyer, a top school only helps in anything on your resume.

1) cavalier is right - you can't post in the law student forum until you are in law school.
2) the above is wrong. Having a JD from wherever and trying to get a non-law/JD advantage job doesn't help on your resume. Sure, a JD from a top school probably looks better than a JD from Cooley, but non-law/JD advantage employers generally don't want to hire a JD, period.


Yep. A JD - generally - is going to have a tougher time getting a job than someone who left school after a semester or a year. The jd will box you in — even if it’s hys.

That said, I’d strongly advise finishing out the year and going through OCI. Once 1L is done, your opinions may change. Also, nothing wrong w seeking jobs now — and if something great comes up, scrap the law school before end of 1L, but if not, might as well finish out year to keep options open.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests