jajajahahah

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AndrianMH
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 pm

jajajahahah

Postby AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:00 pm

dfggfhnhgjfghjfjgndfvbdhdjyhgh
Last edited by AndrianMH on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IExistedOnceBefore
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby IExistedOnceBefore » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Normally I am the dissenting opinion in these threads and say that if you're determined and willing to hustle and have a decent scholarship you should not drop out.

However they GPA is so poor and that debt so high and your chances of getting a legal job and passing the bar are so low...I would drop out. Sorry bro.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5557
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Do you have some sort of plan for getting a job after graduation? Like, were you working at a job before law school where your employer told you they'd hire you as a lawyer if you got a JD/law license? If you have something like that lined up, then it makes sense to stay. But if you just have a general plan to put yourself on the job market and hope for the best, then I would probably drop out.

hiima3L
Posts: 911
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby hiima3L » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Drop out.

This is not a difficult decision.

AndrianMH
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 pm

hjgfjghj

Postby AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:41 pm

fghjfjmjh
Last edited by AndrianMH on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrianMH
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:43 pm

fgdg
Last edited by AndrianMH on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IExistedOnceBefore
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby IExistedOnceBefore » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:45 pm

AndrianMH wrote:
IExistedOnceBefore wrote:Normally I am the dissenting opinion in these threads and say that if you're determined and willing to hustle and have a decent scholarship you should not drop out.

However they GPA is so poor and that debt so high and your chances of getting a legal job and passing the bar are so low...I would drop out. Sorry bro.



I am grateful for you honest advice. However, don't you think 70% scholarship is decent enough for me to stay? I am paying only 12k a year for tuition fees. I am hoping that the JD will help me find a job more easily.


No. Because the JD isn't likely to get you a legal job and will make you appeared over qualified for non legal jobs. What exactly do you want to do?

I see you have no 1L job. I would absolutely drop out. You need some sort of legal work your 1L summer. Any type and if you couldn't even manage that I doubt you can hustle enough to secure employment post graduation.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5557
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:48 pm

AndrianMH wrote:
rpupkin wrote:Do you have some sort of plan for getting a job after graduation? Like, were you working at a job before law school where your employer told you they'd hire you as a lawyer if you got a JD/law license? If you have something like that lined up, then it makes sense to stay. But if you just have a general plan to put yourself on the job market and hope for the best, then I would probably drop out.

I have no plan at all. I just go to law school right after college in the hope of working for a public defender office. More sadly, I have no job this summer after my 1L, but I am taking two summer courses.

Drop out. Even if you had a 100% scholarship, it wouldn't be worth it to stay: you'd be losing two years of your adult life (as well as the income you'd earn from holding a job during those two years) for no reason.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:53 pm

Drop out.

On a separate note, how is it that Mitchell Hamline is almost never referenced on these forums, and then two separate posters bring it up in a two-day period?

AndrianMH
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:57 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Drop out.

On a separate note, how is it that Mitchell Hamline is almost never referenced on these forums, and then two separate posters bring it up in a two-day period?

What is the other post about? I haven't seen it.

grixxlybear99
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby grixxlybear99 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:00 pm

You're going to spend $24k on tuition alone in the next two years, plus cost of living expenses. You will have no income during these next two years and you will not find a job as a JD after graduation. You went to a terrible law school and did terrible. Your best option is to drop out.

AndrianMH
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:03 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:You're going to spend $24k on tuition alone in the next two years, plus cost of living expenses. You will have no income during these next two years and you will not find a job as a JD after graduation. You went to a terrible law school and did terrible. Your best option is to drop out.

I do appreciate your response, but how do you think my law school is "terrible?" Do you know "Chief Justice Warren E. Burger?" He did attend my law school, did he not? I think my law school does a pretty good job in placing graduates to work.

paco_bell
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:18 am

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby paco_bell » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:07 pm

AndrianMH wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:You're going to spend $24k on tuition alone in the next two years, plus cost of living expenses. You will have no income during these next two years and you will not find a job as a JD after graduation. You went to a terrible law school and did terrible. Your best option is to drop out.

I do appreciate your response, but how do you think my law school is "terrible?" Do you know "Chief Justice Warren E. Burger?" He did attend my law school, did he not? I think my law school does a pretty good job in placing graduates to work.


Oh boy...

User avatar
Johann
Posts: 18889
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby Johann » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:10 pm

I'd stay in at 70% scholly and 33% pot committed.

theres really no difference between anything outside of top 10% at these shitty schools. once you miss the law review boat, it all comes down to networking and internships. i graduated from a school like this and there was no real correlation i saw between grades outside of law review and job options. the 3.0s and 3.3s and 2.5s all ended up in roughly the same boat.

if you plan on moving a big city, compliance jobs at big banks are you r friends. i know quite a few people whove gone to work in these jd adv roles and the places do not even look at your gpa. just dont put your gpa on your resume and they won't ever know.

AndrianMH
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:13 pm

paco_bell wrote:
AndrianMH wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:You're going to spend $24k on tuition alone in the next two years, plus cost of living expenses. You will have no income during these next two years and you will not find a job as a JD after graduation. You went to a terrible law school and did terrible. Your best option is to drop out.

I do appreciate your response, but how do you think my law school is "terrible?" Do you know "Chief Justice Warren E. Burger?" He did attend my law school, did he not? I think my law school does a pretty good job in placing graduates to work.


Oh boy...

Haha I was not serious really. I know my law school is "unranked" per U.S. news. That's said, I still love it.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5557
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Johann wrote:I'd stay in at 70% scholly and 33% pot committed.

theres really no difference between anything outside of top 10% at these shitty schools. once you miss the law review boat, it all comes down to networking and internships.

Agreed, but OP isn't networking. OP doesn't even have a 1L summer job. I know people from TTTT schools like this who ended up fine, but they either had (1) a pre-LS employer who would hire them as an attorney post-grad, or (2) solid networking/hustling skills.

OP has neither. He or she should drop out.

User avatar
kellyfrost
Posts: 5898
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby kellyfrost » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:21 pm

I wouldn't recommend dropping out, especially since you get to keep your scholarship.

Yes, the job search will be difficult and will require you to grind, but it isn't impossible and your goals (i.e., public defender) aren't unreasonable.

Plus, in doctrinal classes you didn't do all that bad, except for Constitutional law. Dragging down your GPA the most are Civil Dispute Resolution (whatever that is and why did you bomb it?) and Lawyering (whatever that is). Good legal research and writing grades in the future will help. For what it is worth, my lowest grade in law school was a C- in Agency & Partnership. I obviously didn't have a killer GPA and I had to grind/hustle.

This is ultimately you decision, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the dropping out train just yet.

User avatar
Johann
Posts: 18889
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby Johann » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:23 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Johann wrote:I'd stay in at 70% scholly and 33% pot committed.

theres really no difference between anything outside of top 10% at these shitty schools. once you miss the law review boat, it all comes down to networking and internships.

Agreed, but OP isn't networking. OP doesn't even have a 1L summer job. I know people from TTTT schools like this who ended up fine, but they either had (1) a pre-LS employer who would hire them as an attorney post-grad, or (2) solid networking/hustling skills.

OP has neither. He or she should drop out.

what the hell are they gonna do dropping out? its applying to a big bank. its not that hard. you dont have to network. you hit appy. and you usually get a job because your comeptition has no JD.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5557
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Johann wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Johann wrote:I'd stay in at 70% scholly and 33% pot committed.

theres really no difference between anything outside of top 10% at these shitty schools. once you miss the law review boat, it all comes down to networking and internships.

Agreed, but OP isn't networking. OP doesn't even have a 1L summer job. I know people from TTTT schools like this who ended up fine, but they either had (1) a pre-LS employer who would hire them as an attorney post-grad, or (2) solid networking/hustling skills.

OP has neither. He or she should drop out.

what the hell are they gonna do dropping out?

OP could get a job as a temp somewhere and then gradually work his way into a mundane office job that will likely pay him more than he would make with his Hamline JD.

Look, I agree with your premise--TLS generally doesn't understand how folks are hired out of TTTs--but OP is showing all the signs of someone who is almost sure to fail. I don't see the point in racking up additional debt and opportunity cost in the OP's case.
Last edited by rpupkin on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
guynourmin
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby guynourmin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:29 pm

no advice here, but a question: why don't you have any summer work? How many public defenders offices did you apply to?

AndrianMH
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:35 pm

gsg
Last edited by AndrianMH on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrianMH
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:37 pm

ghbfg
Last edited by AndrianMH on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kellyfrost
Posts: 5898
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby kellyfrost » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:38 pm

AndrianMH wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:I wouldn't recommend dropping out, especially since you get to keep your scholarship.

Yes, the job search will be difficult and will require you to grind, but it isn't impossible and your goals (i.e., public defender) aren't unreasonable.

Plus, in doctrinal classes you didn't do all that bad, except for Constitutional law. Dragging down your GPA the most are Civil Dispute Resolution (whatever that is and why did you bomb it?) and Lawyering (whatever that is). Good legal research and writing grades in the future will help. For what it is worth, my lowest grade in law school was a C- in Agency & Partnership. I obviously didn't have a killer GPA and I had to grind/hustle.

This is ultimately you decision, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the dropping out train just yet.

Civil Dispute Resolution = Civil Procedure
Lawyering = legal research and writing


Ok, that doesn't completely change my answer but I was hoping you would have a chance to get a B+ or higher in legal research and writing.

ughbugchugplug
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby ughbugchugplug » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:40 pm

As an aside, here is some useful advice about when to use "scare quotes."

http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/quotation-marks.html

AndrianMH
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Postby AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:43 pm

ghdh
Last edited by AndrianMH on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: canterlol and 2 guests