Should I e-mail my professor about a grade?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
IPProf

Re: Should I e-mail my professor about a grade?

Postby IPProf » Thu May 18, 2017 1:18 am

rpupkin wrote:To Whom It May Concern:

B90 was a student in my Evidence course in Fall 2014. He received a grade of "C," one of the lowest in the class. B90 wrote a final exam which suggested that he was not capable of practicing law. His horrible exam notwithstanding, I must admit that—based on my occasional interactions with him—he appears to possess the minimum competency necessary to function as a lawyer. I therefore did not consider it a total travesty when the bar examiners of this state saw fit to grant him a law license.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Professor Pupkin

Much though I would love to write a letter like this, I think I'd just decline.

On the original topic:
K5220 has a good suggestion; it's always appropriate to ask what you missed. Though most professors have scars from students challenging grades, this approach is much less confrontational and is more likely to lead to a productive conversation.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu May 18, 2017 1:21 pm

B90 wrote: :oops: :D 8)

Of course I haven't - and won't - ask for a written recommendation. What I meant is that if I was applying for a job and the hiring partner knew my professor, I do not think s/he would throw me under the bus.

Also, do you know my professor?
Actually, s/he is a notoriously tough grader, but not evil. If I asked for a written rec, s/he would say no.

Edited because scooped by IP Prof. Also, why are the notifications not working?!

Lol @ pupkin. And yes, there are definitely ways to keep a good relationship with a prof even if you got a bad grade in their class and talked to them about it, etc... My advice regarding the post I was responding to was just to be careful -- don't just assume you'll never see your law profs again and never have anything to do with them for the rest of your life.

B90

Postby B90 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:22 pm

IPProf wrote:
rpupkin wrote:To Whom It May Concern:

B90 was a student in my Evidence course in Fall 2014. He received a grade of "C," one of the lowest in the class. B90 wrote a final exam which suggested that he was not capable of practicing law. His horrible exam notwithstanding, I must admit that—based on my occasional interactions with him—he appears to possess the minimum competency necessary to function as a lawyer. I therefore did not consider it a total travesty when the bar examiners of this state saw fit to grant him a law license.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Professor Pupkin

Much though I would love to write a letter like this, I think I'd just decline.

On the original topic:
K5220 has a good suggestion; it's always appropriate to ask what you missed. Though most professors have scars from students challenging grades, this approach is much less confrontational and is more likely to lead to a productive conversation.

Prof. Pupkin:
It has come to my attention that you referred to me as having "one of" the lowest grades. I was under the impression that I had THE lowEST grade, as in the best of the worst. Please advise.
Humbly,
B90

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”