Graduation Presents Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tfer2222

Bronze

Re: Graduation Presents

Post by tfer2222 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
grades?? wrote:
albanach wrote:
grades?? wrote:I second a nice framing service. Not cheap, but certainly worth it.
I also agree with this. Your diploma and bar certificate are probably going to be on your wall for decades to come. Getting them nicely framed costs a stupid amount but is worth it.

If there's any possibility that they don't know how much framing costs - pretty sure mine were well in excess of $500 total - I'd ask for a gift voucher for a local framing store and you can pay the difference when you have the cash. I wouldn't want to be seen asking for something that's hundreds of dollars more than they were expecting to pay for a briefcase.
Yeah they can get expensive. A great frame, anti-acid border, nice glass, etc can cost 500 easily for 1 diploma. But it is something everyone who steps into your office will judge you about.
Are you all serious? Is this actually a thing?

God I hate this profession sometimes. Please tell me you at least work in a NYC V5, and I can just disregard. Here I was thinking I could just buy some shitty frame for $20 and call it a day. For what it's worth, I guarantee you that the first thing I think of when walking into an attorney's office isn't "what a TTTerrible framing job. This person is worthless and deserves to be stuck doing doc review forever."
I'm at an NYC v10 and my diploma is somewhere in a box in my parent's basement. I don't think I ever got a bar certificate........

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:20 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
I'm at an NYC v10 and my diploma is somewhere in a box in my parent's basement. I don't think I ever got a bar certificate........
Don't they use Velcro to attach such things to cube walls in NYC? ;)

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:13 am

zot1 wrote:I think you need to go back to the whole convo.

If you work at a big law firm (and actually a good chunk of mid and small firms), the firm actually frames diplomas for you.

If you don't, the expense is on your own. I don't know when's the last time you bought a frame, but even if you go to marshalls, a cheap frame can be almost $100.

That's why, as a present for someone going non-private, I can't think of something better to gift than framing.
Is this really the case? Im thinking of framing my degree do NY big law firms generally frame?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”