Clinic v. Concentration Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Should I do the tax clinic, transactional clinic or the compliance concentration?

Tax Clinic
No votes
Transactional Clinic
100%
Compliance Concentration
No votes

Total votes: 4

megamega88

New

Clinic v. Concentration

Post by megamega88 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:46 pm

I am a rising 3L. I am thinking of doing a concentration or two clinics. I want to do a compliance concentration but I also want to do a transactional clinic at my school and also a tax clinic. I cannot do all three at the same time. Is a concentration better or clinics better? In my transactional clinic, we do some compliance work.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Re: Clinic v. Concentration

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Could you just do the clinics and then take compliance related classes?

megamega88

New

Post by megamega88 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:23 pm

I couldnt get into the transactional clinic for next semester and they told me to apply again. I don't know if I should do two clinics for my last semester of law school in case I dont get an offer in the summer.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:27 pm

What are your career goals? What are you doing this summer? Do you still care about grades? Is academic experience more important to you than limiting your workload?

megamega88

New

Post by megamega88 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:31 pm

Last edited by megamega88 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 pm

Hrm, I'm not sure how much the tax clinic would help you if that's not within your career goals. And I don't know how much a compliance certificate matters in helping you find a job. I'm doing a transactional law clinic this semester and I've learned a lot from doing it, but the clients you will get are very hit or miss and it's more a training in how to communicate with clients than it is about anything else.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Clinics are a lot of work; I wouldn't do two different ones at the same time. And frankly if you end up without an offer you're better off networking/focusing on internships than taking specific classes, whereas if you get an offer it won't likely matter what you take.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”