Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 28941
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby Nebby » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:32 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:People who love Constitutional Law are pretty suspect to me. They tend to have odd priorities.

I love ConLaw

Sorry, you tend to have odd priorities. Meanwhile, students who love classes like Contracts and Remedies tend to have normal priorities.

:lol:

michaelscotch99
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:26 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby michaelscotch99 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:34 pm

OP, if you told me this last year, I would have agreed with you.

However, now, I suggest you start appreciating it more. Con law has never been more relevant than it is today (well I'm not 100% sure if this is true... but it's pretty important today). We are living in unprecedented times and the Constitution has never been put to such a strenuous test before (well, maybe not really. I don't know).

Basically, pay attention in class because it's pretty relevant right now.

This is coming from someone whose least fave class was con law. I would love to re-take this class now.

User avatar
RCSOB657
Posts: 3038
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby RCSOB657 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:38 pm

michaelscotch99 wrote:OP, if you told me this last year, I would have agreed with you.

However, now, I suggest you start appreciating it more. Con law has never been more relevant than it is today (well I'm not 100% sure if this is true... but it's pretty important today). We are living in unprecedented times and the Constitution has never been put to such a strenuous test before (well, maybe not really. I don't know).

Basically, pay attention in class because it's pretty relevant right now.

This is coming from someone whose least fave class was con law. I would love to re-take this class now.


Where was your uproar when the War Powers Resolution was approved by the legislature? Where were you when Habeus Corpus was suspended by the POTUS? heheh, this shit isn't new.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5368
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:42 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:
michaelscotch99 wrote:OP, if you told me this last year, I would have agreed with you.

However, now, I suggest you start appreciating it more. Con law has never been more relevant than it is today (well I'm not 100% sure if this is true... but it's pretty important today). We are living in unprecedented times and the Constitution has never been put to such a strenuous test before (well, maybe not really. I don't know).

Basically, pay attention in class because it's pretty relevant right now.

This is coming from someone whose least fave class was con law. I would love to re-take this class now.


Where was your uproar when the War Powers Resolution was approved by the legislature? Where were you when Habeus Corpus was suspended by the POTUS?

....or the establishment of a National Bank....or the explosion of the administrative state during the New Deal....or Truman's attempt to seize the steel industry.

User avatar
stego
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby stego » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Nebby wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:People who love Constitutional Law are pretty suspect to me. They tend to have odd priorities.

I love ConLaw

QED

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 5466
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:54 pm

loving con law isn't probative of disfunction. loving fed courts is.

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 6730
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby Hikikomorist » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:55 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:People who love Constitutional Law are pretty suspect to me. They tend to have odd priorities.

I love ConLaw

Sorry, you tend to have odd priorities. Meanwhile, students who love classes like Contracts and Remedies tend to have normal priorities.

Most law students have the good sense not to love anything of their classes.

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby zhenders » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:01 pm

pancakes3 wrote:loving con law isn't probative of disfunction. loving fed courts is.


Loving Fed Courts is just evidence of Stockholm Syndrome.

(I'm seeking help.)

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5368
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:04 pm

zhenders wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:loving con law isn't probative of disfunction. loving fed courts is.


Loving Fed Courts is just evidence of Stockholm Syndrome.

(I'm seeking help.)

tbf, if you're going to work in big-law litigation, Fed Courts is generally more relevant and useful than Con Law.

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 28941
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby Nebby » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:17 pm

Fed Courts was a dry class but definitely intellectually stimulating. It was one of my favorite classes. I only wish I had the time to have taken Conflicts, too.

User avatar
RCSOB657
Posts: 3038
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby RCSOB657 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Nebby wrote:Fed Courts was a dry class but definitely intellectually stimulating. It was one of my favorite classes. I only wish I had the time to have taken Conflicts, too.



I'm doing conflicts now. The later cases are ducking complicated but it seems like an easy subject to me.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4699
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Man, I'm hilariously screwed on the bar. Taking all 3L blow off classes.

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:09 pm



This is Jefferson

User avatar
abogadesq
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:30 am

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby abogadesq » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:09 pm

You made a big mistake in going to law school.

User avatar
mjb447
Posts: 1166
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby mjb447 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:15 pm

HuntedUnicorn wrote:

This is Jefferson

Has anyone ever noticed that he looks EXACTLY like the Marquis de Lafayette?

User avatar
Kummel
Posts: 3336
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby Kummel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:17 pm

i thought con law sucked. then again civ pro was my favorite class so i don't think my opinion is worth much

User avatar
Tortious Conduct
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby Tortious Conduct » Wed May 17, 2017 5:19 pm

My school splits Con Law into two segments: Con Law I focuses on the branches of government; separation of powers; federalism; commerce clause, dormant commerce clause. Con Law II focuses on the limits imposed on the federal government with respect to individuals. I'll be taking that in the fall.

I found Con Law I to be hit and miss. Some cases were thoroughly enjoyable to read (Jackson's concurrence in Youngstown, the Obamacare case). Others were downright awful (pre- New Deal commerce clause).

Although I'd taken a Con Law course as an undergrad, I imagine it'll resemble my school's Con Law II more than anything; I wasn't really expecting Con Law I to look like what it did. It definitely took some getting used to.

User avatar
Tortious Conduct
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby Tortious Conduct » Wed May 17, 2017 5:20 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:i thought con law sucked. then again civ pro was my favorite class so i don't think my opinion is worth much


I enjoyed Civil Procedure as well.

tsujimoto74
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:45 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby tsujimoto74 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:42 am

Tortious Conduct wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:i thought con law sucked. then again civ pro was my favorite class so i don't think my opinion is worth much


I enjoyed Civil Procedure as well.


Con Law and Civ Pro were my 2 favorite classes of 1st year. There must be something wrong with me. :lol:

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat May 20, 2017 10:51 am

jasoncohen wrote:before starting con law, I was actually excited because I like to know my constitutional rights. I want to know if I give someone the middle finger, what can happen to me.


You don't already know the answer to this question? Although, given that you don't know who TJ is, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Sat May 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Crim Pro is the best con law class.

User avatar
2807
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby 2807 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:00 pm

Nebby wrote:On a related subject it pains me that people think of "rights" as opposed to "limits." The Bill of Rights are limitations on government authority, not rights vested in individuals.

Anyway, carry on...



The force is strong in this one

pml87
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby pml87 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:59 pm

You don't want to know how the Document created 200 years ago has managed to withstand the test of time for so long? Its structure governs our politics today, its rights guide people's thinking when a cop pulls them over, and, yes, its flaws have required a Civil War and massive bloodshed to remedy. Did you know that there are and have been democracies in the world where their Heads of State can unilaterally suspend their citizen's rights in a time of crisis (ahem...Germany) ? Our countries have faced crises before: how did the Const withstand that test, or did it? I think you haven't considered how the Const deeply affects your life.

Phil Brooks
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby Phil Brooks » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Nebby wrote:On a related subject it pains me that people think of "rights" as opposed to "limits." The Bill of Rights are limitations on government authority, not rights vested in individuals.

Anyway, carry on...


Ugh, I'm so tired of this point being trotted out as some kind of "gotcha." There are two conceptions of rights: positive rights and negative rights. Positive rights are goods and services that the state is required to provide to individuals, while negative rights are things that the state is prohibited from doing to individuals.

Yes, the United States believes only in negative rights and therefore includes only negative rights in the constitution. But this does not mean that positive rights do not exist; in fact every other industrialized country has them.

grixxlybear99
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: Just started con law and I am already starting to hate life

Postby grixxlybear99 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
Nebby wrote:On a related subject it pains me that people think of "rights" as opposed to "limits." The Bill of Rights are limitations on government authority, not rights vested in individuals.

Anyway, carry on...


Ugh, I'm so tired of this point being trotted out as some kind of "gotcha." There are two conceptions of rights: positive rights and negative rights. Positive rights are goods and services that the state is required to provide to individuals, while negative rights are things that the state is prohibited from doing to individuals.

Yes, the United States believes only in negative rights and therefore includes only negative rights in the constitution. But this does not mean that positive rights do not exist; in fact every other industrialized country has them.


Sad.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests