Will an MIP affect ability to get into school?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mobynick

Will an MIP affect ability to get into school?

Postby mobynick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:34 pm

My child recently got charged with an MIP (Minor in Possession) in the State of Colorado. We know he is likely to enter a diversion program or some sort of probation. My child is 17 and is applying for colleges next year. He is a great student that looks to go to law school but I am afraid this may negatively affect his ability to get into college. I read several articles including onehttps://southdenverlaw.com/drug-charges-juveniles-parker-colorado that was very helpful but it didn’t tell me how it could affect my child’s future in education. Is there any way to get the charge expunged? Are MIPs a deal breaker when trying to get into college?

SFSpartan

Re: Will an MIP affect ability to get into school?

Postby SFSpartan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:38 pm

To the extent you aren't trolling, you have come to the wrong place for this question. For LS, it could be a big deal, or it could not be depending on whether your child develops subsequent C+F issues, has continued problems with alcohol, etc. Assuming this is a one-time thing, not a big deal for law school.

poptart123

Postby poptart123 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:55 pm

I think the above is pretty spot on. I would also look into how this might effect federal loan opportunities, though.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:36 pm

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”