Internship, South Texas Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TierForceOne

New

Internship, South Texas

Post by TierForceOne » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:25 pm

edit---I was offered an internship in a courthouse in a border city in Texas. Does anyone have experience with a border city? Safe for a white man?

Also, how do people arrange living as far as apartments? Do you sublet?
Last edited by TierForceOne on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Internship, South Texas

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:30 pm

What??

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:What??
^ this

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:32 pm

Have you tried expressing your concerns to the judge?

TierForceOne

New

Post by TierForceOne » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:What??
The court is in a border city with 95% Hispanics, cartels right across the border. I've lived in Texas all my life but know nothing about south, south Texas. Just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this. I really want this position but my parents are worried about my safety as a white person living there.
Last edited by TierForceOne on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TierForceOne

New

Post by TierForceOne » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:Have you tried expressing your concerns to the judge?
It was the judge's clerk who contacted me. I feel like it's disrespectful to ask the clerk if the city is safe, isn't it? At least that's what my dad told me.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:45 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that a decent number of the judges, clerks, and lawyers who appear in the courthouse are white men.

Grond

Bronze

Post by Grond » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:05 pm

I've made more than one appearance in Fed court in McAllen without dying. Just don't go south of the wall.

TierForceOne

New

Post by TierForceOne » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Grond wrote:I've made more than one appearance in Fed court in McAllen without dying. Just don't go south of the wall.
I appreciate the answer. I know it's a silly question but it's my parents that are concerned. McAllen is very similar to the city I'd be interning in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grond

Bronze

Post by Grond » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:09 pm

TierForceOne wrote:
Grond wrote:I've made more than one appearance in Fed court in McAllen without dying. Just don't go south of the wall.
I appreciate the answer. I know it's a silly question but it's my parents that are concerned. McAllen is very similar to the city I'd be interning in.
Get a recommendation from the clerk for what part of town to live in without mentioning, um, demographic issues.

TierForceOne

New

Post by TierForceOne » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:15 pm

Grond wrote:
TierForceOne wrote:
Get a recommendation from the clerk for what part of town to live in without mentioning, um, demographic issues.
Thanks. Do you know if most people sublet for interships? Is it difficult to get a place to stay for just 6 weeks?

Grond

Bronze

Post by Grond » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:25 pm

TierForceOne wrote:
Grond wrote:
TierForceOne wrote:
Thanks. Do you know if most people sublet for interships? Is it difficult to get a place to stay for just 6 weeks?
Larado? There's an A&M campus IIRC, should be able to get something around there. If it's Rio Grande City that could be difficult.

eddiemen2a

New

Post by eddiemen2a » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:05 am

If it is Laredo, you're fine (and if it is Laredo, PM me). Look for a place in the north (north Delmar is the nicer area). Don't cross to Nuevo Laredo. Do go to Taco Palenque.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:23 am

Are we really entertaining this OP?

Not being racist is a pretty cool way to be comfortable in any city. Let your parents know.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:07 am

You shouldn't go to work for a judge even as an intern in an area where you are already prejudiced against 95% of the population.

You will show your true colors very quickly and it will hurt you at your job.

Your parents are awful people. So are you for postibg this.

I hope this is a flame post.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Npret wrote:You shouldn't go to work for a judge even as an intern in an area where you are already prejudiced against 95% of the population.

Let's chill a bit. OP has done a poor job of framing the issue, but his fears aren't unrealistic if the area is known for being dangerous.

OP, I doubt the city is anywhere near as dangerous as you think. Ask the clerk where the best places to live are.

Also, if you feel comfortable, PM me about the location. I may or may not be able to offer advice.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:18 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Npret wrote:You shouldn't go to work for a judge even as an intern in an area where you are already prejudiced against 95% of the population.

Let's chill a bit. OP has done a poor job of framing the issue, but his fears aren't unrealistic if the area is known for being dangerous.

OP, I doubt the city is anywhere near as dangerous as you think. Ask the clerk where the best places to live are.

Also, if you feel comfortable, PM me about the location. I may or may not be able to offer advice.
No. If his fear was based on an area being dangerous, what does it matter that he is white? Or that almost everyone else is not?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Npret wrote:
lawman84 wrote:

No. If his fear was based on an area being dangerous, what does it matter that he is white? Or that almost everyone else is not?
Because he thinks he'll stand out. He's a white Texan going to a city where he'll be in the sizable minority (that may or may not have a reputation for being dangerous). It's a new experience. The guy is worried about it. He doesn't have to be racist to have concerns. He framed the issue poorly.

Chill.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:00 pm

The whole point is that yes, he framed it poorly, and without piling on, he really needs to know that he framed it poorly so that he doesn't do that in future and really offend someone who matters. Because it did come across as offensive.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”